• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Heim joint size

rpf500

After reading some threads last night, I will start with my disclosure that I did search motherfucker. molaugh.....but the threads were older and I want more feedback anyway.

I currently have 3/4 heims with no breakage to date. I just have a junk YJ on tons and I baby it so that might be why, not sure. I do know that I bent the **** out of the lowers and I don't like bent lowers and don't like taking them off to fix them. I bought some 7075 and was about to order new heims and thought maybe I should upgrade to 7/8. Then I saw a note on RuffStuffs site that said they don't recommend them for links, but no reason as to why.

I'm not interested in 1.25 lowers and all the work associated with upgrading. So, that leaves to either 3/4 or 7/8 and just wanted some thoughts from you guys.

Re:

I run 3/4 uppers and 7/8 lowers.....lower aluminum links bent up. Beat on it when I hafta.

I think the ruffstuff site says the 7/8 aren't meant for steering links. Still no clue why....but I run 3/4 there though.

Everybody I know runs 7/8 or 1 1/4 lowers.

Re:

Some 7/8 heims are kinda small in the hoop area (almost like they use the same size stock for 3/4 and 7/8 heims)

Barnes usually has better prices on the same/comparable heims.

Can you make 7/8 work with your current axle/chassis tabs & spacing?

Re:

TBItoy said:
Some 7/8 heims are kinda small in the hoop area (almost like they use the same size stock for 3/4 and 7/8 heims)

I just checked out Ruffstuff's site. The 7/8 x 7/8 has the same body dimensions as the 7/8 x 3/4. Only the 7/8 x 7/8 says do not use for links.

On the money side.... I know the hate for FOA and all. But they have 1.25" heim sets WAY cheaper than Ruffstuff. The description from FOA is almost verbatim from Ruffstuff's site too. $1,000 from Ruffstuff and $649 from FOA for 8 sets; heims, jam nuts, weld bungs and misalignment spacers.

Re:

Different mfg spec them different ways,

The "best" are 7/8 x3/4 that use the small balls like 3/4x3/4 heims (sometimes slightly wider). The hoop is beefy on those.

I had some 7/8x3/4 one time that had the large ball/small hoop, but just had a 3/4 hole through the ball. Dumb.

Re:

TBItoy said:

Barnes usually has better prices on the same/comparable heims.

Can you make 7/8 work with your current axle/chassis tabs & spacing?

I printed off the measurements from RuffStuff and like you said, they are the same size, so they would work in my current set up. But....it makes sense that a 7/8 heim with 3/4 bore, would be stronger. I was not thinking of it that way at all and that is why I posted up on here so thank you.

3/4 x 3/4 Heim shows .87 width (without spacers)
7/8 x 7/8 Heim shows .87 width (without spacers)

Also just noticed that "approx articulation" of 3/4 is 26 degrees from neutral to 52 degrees and the 7/8 is 20 degrees to 40. Would go back to the smaller "hoop" area you referenced.

How long have your 3/4's been installed?

I have been debating the same thing for a while, for a lightweight tracker buggy.

Been leaning towards all 7/8' since I am planning a front 3 link, but it almost sounds like some of the 7/8×3/4 are not much better than good 3/4×5/8.

Red97 said:
How long have your 3/4's been installed?

I have been debating the same thing for a while, for a lightweight tracker buggy.

Been leaning towards all 7/8' since I am planning a front 3 link, but it almost sounds like some of the 7/8×3/4 are not much better than good 3/4×5/8.

3 years and I usually ride about every weekend.

Re:

Btw, I've always ran (decent chromoly) 3/4x3/4 and never had a issue. They just usually wear out and get clunky faster than the larger joints.

I have 7/8x3/4 I link the back of the Gremlin.

3/4x3/4 links in my buggy and I beat it like the whore owes me money from years ago. They may wear out faster then large heims but I can't go bigger. Literally can't. My rig is 1 ton on 40 treps it may weigh 3500.

I hate yall I guess I can break anything :dunno: I have had problems with breaking bolts on my 7/8 upper link in when that happens it screws up the misalignement spacers and joint

Re:

Why doesn't anyone make a 1" joint? It would fill the gap between bouncer and trail rig.

Im running 1.25s on the ranger but here lately I've been doing 1.25 lowers with 7/8"x3/4" uppers

7/8-3/4 Heims on the uppers of my U4 buggy with no issues.

Several friends have ran them on all links on crawlers and nobody has ever broke one.

Guess if I went 1 1/4 they would be bullet proof.

Hell my 1" pipe uppers have held up to my mall cruises.

High quality 3/4's for my new build, unless I find a screaming deal on something else.

Re:

TBItoy said:
Btw, I've always ran (decent chromoly) 3/4x3/4 and never had a issue. They just usually wear out and get clunky faster than the larger joints.

I have 7/8x3/4 I link the back of the Gremlin.

Are you saying 7/8 shank, 3/4 bore or vice versa?

Basically a 7/8 Heim with a 3/4 ball, so you have 3/4 through hole, a smaller ball than a normal 7/8 Heim, which puts more metal holding the ball in place.