• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

heim joints

bigiron

Stuck in the Swamp
who makes the toughest 3/4 x 3/4x18 and 5/8 x 3/4 x18 heims i keep pulling mine apart not enough meat around ball cup on the ones i am using also need left and right

who makes the toughest 3/4 x 3/4x18 and 5/8 x 3/4 x18 heims i keep pulling mine apart not enough meat around ball cup on the ones i am using also need left and right

Are you sure they are 18tpi and not 16tpi?

What are you using them for that keeps pulling them apart? Got pictures?

my steering they are 16 my old stuff was 18 i have d60 dually hubs 2 1/2 backspace wheels 12" wide with 44 boggers lots of scrub i took out my stops today trying to get more turn and broke a heim think my axle bound up to break it i am running psc double end ram and ram end is 5/8 on ram 3/4 on tie rod steering arm is 3/4 x3/4 lokking at wht broke it had a crack that let go but these are very thin around ball cup should be somthing heavier i think will try to get some pics up in am too dark now

my steering they are 16 my old stuff was 18 i have d60 dually hubs 2 1/2 backspace wheels 12" wide with 44 boggers lots of scrub i took out my stops today trying to get more turn and broke a heim think my axle bound up to break it i am running psc double end ram and ram end is 5/8 on ram 3/4 on tie rod steering arm is 3/4 x3/4 lokking at wht broke it had a crack that let go but these are very thin around ball cup should be somthing heavier i think will try to get some pics up in am too dark now

S&N sells good heims...been using them on my steering (full hydro) and pan-hard for years. They'll develop slop after a while but never had one break.

broke one today and i will be bringing spares my truck turned into a big pile of sh*t lucky i was going slow bushing it down and using grade 8 will probably work good center is very tight yet

I know for fact that the QA-1 5/8x3/4 rod ends is stronger than the Grade 8 5/8 bolt that goes in the rod end.

A 3/4x3/4 rod end is weaker than a 5/8x3/4 due to less meat behind the bolt that goes through it.

I suggest having a thin bushing made to use 5/8x 3/4 where you have the 3/4x3/4

Why on earth would you do that? You claim that the 5/8" bolt is the weak point of the smaller heim so you think he should downgrade the larger heim to the smaller and weaker bolt?..The 5/8" rod end may be rated stronger than a 3/4" of one particular brand but that's not true for all brands.
I think you should post pictures of what exactly it is your doing with these heims to break them. I know from experience that a good quality 3/4" heim is stronger than a 60 steering knuckle.:mad:

here are some pics i got a cheap end from tacoma screw and a spare plant to order some of them that are rated at 28,000 lbs

Last edited:
Why on earth would you do that? You claim that the 5/8" bolt is the weak point of the smaller heim so you think he should downgrade the larger heim to the smaller and weaker bolt?..The 5/8" rod end may be rated stronger than a 3/4" of one particular brand but that's not true for all brands.
I think you should post pictures of what exactly it is your doing with these heims to break them. I know from experience that a good quality 3/4" heim is stronger than a 60 steering knuckle.:mad:

There is no arguement.... a 5/8 heim is stronger than a 3/4. There is less material on a 3/4 than a 5/8. Take a look some time

Well ****, you think maybe that off the hook offset has anything to do with it?

What brand heims are you breaking? Got pics of the carnage?

There is no arguement.... a 5/8 heim is stronger than a 3/4. There is less material on a 3/4 than a 5/8. Take a look some time

I call BS. All other things being equal the only difference is the size of the hole or stud in the middle and a 5/8" bolt is weaker than a compairible 3/4".

it is not breaking the bolts it is tearing the outside of the heim dont know how double shear would help in this case

Maybe nothing...

What kind of stearing stops you have in place to keep things from getting over-extended? Both on the Ram and the knuckle?

Is the knuckle stopping but the ram still have more travel?

Is the knuckle stopping but the ram still have more travel?

this is what i think the problem is have my stops set on the knuckles so my axles just start touching at full lock but my cylinder has more travel how would i limit the hydro cylinder