• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help!!!!! 22RE not running

zig80toy

OK i bought an 1986 toyota 4Runner with the 22RE. The owner said that it had been sitting for about 4 months with no gas in the tank, but other than that everything should work fine. So I dumped in about 3 gallons and much to my surprise, after only a few cranks the thing fired right up. I sat there and listened to it idle/rev for a while trying to see if there were any knocks or other funny noises. Everything seemed fine so i hopped in and drove it to the nearest gas station to fill up. After i got the tank plum full of gas i hopped back in to drive the bastard home and it wouldnt run. :WTF:
It will start and run for about a second then die. I put my foot to the floor while starting and sometimes it will run for about 3 seconds.
Because it does fire up i'm assuming its not my ignition system (someone chime in here if i'm wrong). I'm guessing the motor is having a problem getting fuel. Like maybe the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is bad due to it being run out of gas.... but if this is the case how did it make it 3/4 miles to the gas station?
by the way, where is the fuel filter on this thing? Is it in the tank with the pump?? Anyone have any ideas??? Anyone ever had symptoms like this before??

zig80toy said:
OK i bought an 1986 toyota 4Runner with the 22RE. The owner said that it had been sitting for about 4 months with no gas in the tank, but other than that everything should work fine. So I dumped in about 3 gallons and much to my surprise, after only a few cranks the thing fired right up. I sat there and listened to it idle/rev for a while trying to see if there were any knocks or other funny noises. Everything seemed fine so i hopped in and drove it to the nearest gas station to fill up. After i got the tank plum full of gas i hopped back in to drive the bastard home and it wouldnt run. :WTF:
It will start and run for about a second then die. I put my foot to the floor while starting and sometimes it will run for about 3 seconds.
Because it does fire up i'm assuming its not my ignition system (someone chime in here if i'm wrong). I'm guessing the motor is having a problem getting fuel. Like maybe the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is bad due to it being run out of gas.... but if this is the case how did it make it 3/4 miles to the gas station?
by the way, where is the fuel filter on this thing? Is it in the tank with the pump?? Anyone have any ideas??? Anyone ever had symptoms like this before??

Fuel filter--ha ha ha. Your going to love this one. Its down under the intake on the side of the block(passenger side). if you peek thru the FENDERWELL YOU MIGHT SE IT (IF YOU ARE THINKING OF PUTING A BODY LIFT ON---DO IT FIRST,LOL).

One thing that will happen with the toy pumps. if they sat for a long time with no fuel the pump will seperate and cause fuel pressure to bleed off at the pump or lack of building pressure...

could be the fuel filter being clogged...The filter is located on the passenger side of the block towards the back underneath the intake set up.

crash said:
Fuel filter--ha ha ha. Your going to love this one. Its down under the intake on the side of the block(passenger side). if you peek thru the FENDERWELL YOU MIGHT SE IT (IF YOU ARE THINKING OF PUTING A BODY LIFT ON---DO IT FIRST,LOL).

One thing that will happen with the toy pumps. if they sat for a long time with no fuel the pump will seperate and cause fuel pressure to bleed off at the pump or lack of building pressure...

:mad: ya beat me to it

The fuel line on the back of the fuel rail. I took it off and blew through it and i could get gas to splash out of the tank through the filler neck. I figured that meant the fuel filter is not clogged...????

zig80toy said:
The fuel line on the back of the fuel rail. I took it off and blew through it and i could get gas to splash out of the tank through the filler neck. I figured that meant the fuel filter is not clogged...????

yOU are blowing thru the return line. without hooking up a pressure guage anything can be possable. also remove the AFM and make sure its not stuck or sticking..

OK, i was worried i was playing with the wrong line. it seemed to easy to pass air through...
What is AFM??

AFM +Air fuel mixture box also known as the air cleaner on those.It sounds like you have a bad connection there or it is not hooked up right cause it sounds like the cold start valve is working.

wayne_fj40 said:
AFM +Air fuel mixture box also known as the air cleaner on those.It sounds like you have a bad connection there or it is not hooked up right cause it sounds like the cold start valve is working.

Is not ya clown

Air Flow Meter

:flipoff:

Same diff You understand it from the japanese side where I look at it from the american side :haha: :haha: AMF AIR FUEL MIXTURE witch equals the dumbmest thing I have ever seen you need to hook up your air cleaner to see if it runs :mad: :mad:

If it sat for a long time with little or no gas in the tank, the inside of the tank probably looks pretty bad... especially if it sat on that side of the mountains for that long.

I worked on an '88 truck a while back that sat for about the same amount of time... the walls of the tank were covered in a rusty/varnishy material (mix of old, bad gas and rust), and the pump was completely useless. I replaced the pump and pick-up screen and cleaned the tank out to the best of my ability, and it still ended up clogging the pick-up screen a day or so after I got the rig running. I had to drop the tank a second time and clean it out again with muriatic acid (metal wash).

Try the other stuff 1st: AFM, fuel filter, etc... but I'm guessing what you're going to have to do is drop the tank and clean the pick-up screen and thoroughly clean the scale off the inside of the tank before you will get it to run right.

If you do end up dropping the tank and finding lots of nasty in there, pipe up and I'll give you details on how I cleaned the other tank and got the walls sparkling shiny new... a combination of hot water, soap, muriatic acid, a clean length of chain, lots of duct tape, some rocks, and some other materials I'm sure I can't remember now.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I need to find me a fuel pressure gauge to see if i gota drop the tank and change the pump. Where can i find one around the Everett area? Do they sell fuel pressure gauges at you local Shmucks?? And yeah, if i gota drop the fuel tank i only wana do it once.

Yesterday after work i did a little work on this 4runner i am having problems with. Fuel pump was first on the list of things to check. Now someone let me know if this is not a good way to test, but all i did was disconnect the fuel line comming from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. I pointed it toward a bucket i had under the truck and had someone crank the runner over. Gas was just pouring out of that line, so i'm thinking to myself that the pump is still good (someone chime in here if i am was off). Next i'm thinking maybe the fuel filter is cloged so i went to shmucks and bought a new one (i'm doing a tune up anyways and also bought plugs, wires, etc...). When i took the old one off i put my mouth around the inlet end and blew. I was expecting some resistance but instead i was able to blow gas out the other end very easily. Will since it is a bitch to get to, i put the new one on anyways and connected up all the lines.
Next you guys mentioned it might be the AFM (whatever it stands for) so i took it off. I hosed it down with Injection/Air intake cleaner and made sure the little swinging gate thingy moved freely. Then i put it all back together and fired it up. IT RUNS!!!!!!

Last edited:
I let it idle for a while. It got up to temp. then randomly it would die. It would idle for 5 min then quit, 30 sec then quit, 2 min then quit.:wtf: :wtf:
OOh yeah, and when i would rev it up the check engine light would come on. It wouldn't die on me while reving it but the check engine light would glow at me the go right back off again once it got back to idle.:wtf: :wtf:
Anyways, it was getting late and i still had a lot of drinking to do that night so i called it quits.
then next morning (today) i go out to fire it up and now i am having the same problem i was when i started this thread..:mad: :mad: :mad:
I took another AFM (that i'm pretty sure works) off another truck i have out back and slapped it on and the problem stayed the same. Now i'm just pissed. What the fawk do i do?????