• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help needed with a Dodge stealership issue!

jeepmedic

I recent purchase a new 2014 Durango from my local dealer. They didn't have the exact one that I wanted but had one on their sister lot 80 miles away. A deal was made and they had the vehicle driven to my dealership the next day. I told them that I wanted the vehicle untouched, meaning not washed or waxed or cleaned so that I could inspect the vehicle before I took delivery. I am a detailer so I know how dealerships can screw up a vehicle pretty quick with a scrub brush and a dirty wash bucket. Upon inspection the window sticker had been removed and a small incision had been made in the dash. Kind of like a point of a knife or the edge of a razorblade scraper. The dealer had attempted horribly to cover up and fix the puncture ( I know this because I fix things like this for customers). I asked for a new vehicle and refused delivery. Several days went by and I was told that they could not find a similar vehicle and that they would replace the dash. I was so tired of the back and forth that I agreed to let them replace the entire dash assembly. I have a 3 week wait for the new dash which I understand and then they will install it. I plan on taking detailed pics of the surrounding interior panels and trim so that if they damage anything it will be documented and will have to be replaced. The replacement is said to be extensive, as in dropping the steering column, removing center console, instrument cluster and so on.

Finally my question is, other than documenting the interior so that any damage will have to be repaired, what other precautions should I take? I have the replacement guarantee in writing, and the parts have been ordered. I'm not trying to be difficult but when you purchase something new, it should be by god NEW. The dealer and I have obviously gotten off on the wrong foot because of their dishonest attempt to cover up the puncture in the first place.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

AS MENTIONED ABOVE IT WILL BE TURNED IN FOR REPLACEMENT OF DASH. NOT REPAIRING IT IS NOT AN OPTION. Finally my question is, other than documenting the interior so that any damage will have to be repaired, what other precautions should I take?

I would either accept with the nick or look for another truck. No way would I want the dash out of a new truck. Be chasing rattles forever.

JohnG said:
I would either accept with the nick or look for another truck. No way would I want the dash out of a new truck. Be chasing rattles forever.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to let them replace it. I have a warranty and if it rattles I will simply take it back. Other than what's stated above do you recommend taking any other precautions?

Re: Re: Help needed with a Dodge stealership issue!

JohnG said:
Exactly what I was thinking.

They're likely to refuse service because something "is rattling".... id take it as is or accept a similar vehicle. Maybe they would deduct costs or throw in some accessorie(s) for they're **** up?

mtublazer2 said:
They're likely to refuse service because something "is rattling".... id take it as is or accept a similar vehicle. Maybe they would deduct costs or throw in some accessorie(s) for they're **** up?

They can't refuse service for a legitimate rattle. Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately you are better off walking away or accepting it the way it is.

You got a 99% chance the dealership being married to it because you are anal. Remember that a trim technician replacing your dash for warranty time doesn't drive a 14 Durango so he's concerned about how bad Chrysler is putting it in his butt on labor time. He's gonna cut corners. Pardon the pun :)

Please don't take this the wrong way.....but we're talking about a dodge (durango even. ) Not a Porsche /Ferrari / etc of the like.

I'd jus ask for a discount and pocket the savings.

tonybolton said:
Please don't take this the wrong way.....but we're talking about a dodge (durango even. ) Not a Porsche /Ferrari / etc of the like.

I'd jus ask for a discount and pocket the savings.
So If I keyed your new car or truck you would be cool with it?

Got a pic of the "slice"?

No, a keyed car is a no go IMO. I'd pick a different vehicle. If you really pick a vehicle over, your likely to find a flaw on all new ones.

mtublazer2 said:
Got a pic of the "slice"?

No, a keyed car is a no go IMO. I'd pick a different vehicle.
Not readily available. I would have picked a different if I could have. My contract basically referred any issues to a new vehicle checklist and inspection. Basically like a punch list for a house. It states that the dealer has the option to correct any damage unless its a certain dollar amount. If the dealer fails to correct the issue then the contract is null and void. Checked 3 of my previous vehicle contracts and they all say the same thing and are from different dealerships.

What would the time frame be if they shipped you one in from out of region?

I can't imagine tearing the dash out of a new vehicle, last one i did was back in 2000 and it was miserable then. If you do end up having them replace the dash, i'd still try to get some money back because of the inconvenience and time waiting for it to be repaired.

Had all of the financing been signed on? I would hope you did not complete the deal until the new vehicle made it in and you were ok with it. If you did do all of the paperwork then I would just accept it because you will have a permanent seat up at the dealership with all of the crap that will be wrong with it after they open it up.

rednecklights said:
A 2000 model ford. Not a 2015 ;)

My ford is as old as your ole lady :flipgotcha:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! **** she may be tall as a 15 year old but is less than a year younger than me! molaugh

Re:

Talk to the service manager let him know your concerns. You can replace a dash pad and not have any rattles from it as long as replaced correctly. So much plastic this days it is hard not to have one in the winter. I'm sure there is a tech there good enough that cares it is done right.

I've taken plenty of dashes out of vehicles. I do body work for a living so it's not uncommon. Mostly high end vehicles Mercedes, Lexus, 14-15 model trucks and cars. I've never had one that rattled after putting it back together. As long as the tech that does the work cares about doing a good job and not so much about beating the clock then you'll be fine.

Dodge dashes are easy, as long as you have a good tech working on it, and chances are the dealer will put the best tech on it because they don't want to lose anymore of their ass on this deal.

grcthird said:
Dodge dashes are easy, as long as you have a good tech working on it, and chances are the dealer will put the best tech on it because they don't want to lose anymore of their ass on this deal.
Good to hear.... Nothing like paying 34K for a vehicle that needs to be disassembled.