• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help pick my future engine/tranny

I am voting for a 350 or 400 small block chevy $3-500 with a mid size cam and a th400 $150-200with a cheap np208 adapter and a 27spline input for the dana 300 $120. I bet you can buy all this set up for under a grand in good running condition. There are two different styles of adapters a tall and a short, get the short one a run a flat belly pan with a 1in body lift. It works very good and plenty of power with your gearing as it is now. I had a tbi 350 and th400 in my wrangler with stock d300 gearing and 5.13s and it worked great on rocks and trails. I ran 39.5 tsls. The nice thing about the th400 is it is only 2in longer than the th350 and it is damn near indestructable. The design of the factory adapters also clock your t-case up like it has a clocking ring. It is definitely the way I would and have gone on a budget.

I have to say, that this is the best option and reply. affordable, know it fits fine, and straight forward.

Duramax and allison. or a 4R100 (I think that's what it is?) or a 47 or 48 dodge tranny.

orrr LS1 if you have to be boring...

oh and auto is a must.

Now get on it rich boy.

5.0L Class. Ford
5.8L Class. Chubrolet
6.0L up Class Ford

The above 350C outline is prolly best V8 choice.

However...

Rebuilt 258 that you have, nothing trick just ARP the rods and use a set of Forged slugs. clean up the head use a cometic gasket. Pick up a turbo off a CTD hang it off the 258 manifold and blow through your existing mixer. Dump out a 3" straight pipe. Done! You have most of the parts there is little fab required, and you can get any auto box to slip in there.

FWIW:stirpot:

88-93 Ford 5.0, factory roller motor, pull off the injection and throw your propane on there.

Autos are the devil, stay w/ a manual... The ZF's are nice shifting and tough as hell, but a 435 or T18 is way cheaper.

C6's are power robbing bastards, but tough as nails
C4's can be built stout as hell.

Well... they are. They take about 40 HP over a C4 in parasitic losses. However, you have to upgrade hard parts in either GM auto to make them as strong as a stock C6. :hitit:

Really??? a 400 doesn't compare to a c6?

Really, that was one of my deciding factor's on going th350 vs 400. As long as I'm not slamming between foreward and reverse too high in the rpm's I'll be fine.

Really??? a 400 doesn't compare to a c6?

Really, that was one of my deciding factor's on going th350 vs 400. As long as I'm not slamming between foreward and reverse too high in the rpm's I'll be fine.
I am with you in saying you cannot ever go wrong with a T-400.

How many Ford C6 sprag failures do you hear about? How about TH350 or 400?
Never have had that problem myself in the many years I have been running them. But then again I always start with a fresh rebuild(with a HD sprag). To say the trans is a POS compared to a Furd is totally stupid.

That was fun, Huh??

Very much so, I won't be doing that with my 350, Id like to see the result's of a C6 getting slammed into reverse with a red label at 35 on asphault, jason does it all the time with his 400. Maybe it'll live, but I know what makes me warm and fuzzy.

TBI 350, Turbo-400, cheap easy, and bulletproof reliability.:;

Close, but a Vortec will be much happier:awesomework: As far as this tranny debate, well I am a bow tie guy so **** ford and the rig that towed them home:fawkdancesmiley: Also **** the th350, I have blown every th350 that I have owned, but have yet to kill a th400:awesomework:

Close, but a Vortec will be much happier:awesomework: As far as this tranny debate, well I am a bow tie guy so **** ford and the rig that towed them home:fawkdancesmiley: Also **** the th350, I have blown every th350 that I have owned, but have yet to kill a th400:awesomework:
Yea the Vortech is a superior engine for sure, but the TBI 350 is a very cost effective option also. I like you have beat the snot out of my T-400 and it just beggs for more. BUT Shaftmaster the T-350 can be built to handle all the abuse you can toss at it so dont be hatin. I am still yet to blow one up.:corn: