• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help upgrading my old Toyota

ZapIII

I've had this truck for almost 8 years, pretty much stock other than an 3 inch spring lift and 33s. It's taken me thru a million trails just for being able to see a line.
But it's time to upgrade a little and I have a few questions that I hope I won't get flamed too bad for asking.

1. I want to change out the gears to 4.56.
Anybody see a problem with those and 33s and still being able to use my truck as a truck around town? It can barely get out of its own way as it is, 70 on the highway with a wind behind it and going down a hill.

2. I want to add a locker, looking at the simple Detroit.
I'm really not that tough on the truck, though will wheel it plenty. Hoping for economical durablity. Got a better option in mind? I'd like to hear it.

3. It's got a clicking/thumping noise in the front axle that's been there the whole time. I know little. Is there an affordable rebuild kit for the axle?

4. What the hell's my spline count? Apparently I need that in order to start shopping.

5. A good shop to affordably get trustworthy work done when it's time to assemble the thirds? Semi local to Seattle?

Much appreciated.

My truck as it sits, just started the paint. Gonna cammo it like Eddie Van Halen's guitar.
110704_001.JPG

1-- Most folks are happier with 5:29's. Thats what I ran back when I had 33's and it was pleasant on the road

2--For some the detroit isn't a bad unit. I personally didn't like them due to there odd reactions on the road at times.

3-- Trail gear or marlin sell rebuild kits for the front (I assume you mean at the knuckles)?

4--Do you mean spline count at the carrier? 30spl

5--On the thirds you looking at dropping the thirds off or the whole truck? I have done many of them over the years.

Much appreciated.

If not a Detroit, got a better one in mind?

Crash, I'll contact you once I have the pieces together to talk about price and time. Thanks a lot.

You could always get a E-Locker and put it in the rear end. You can buy E-Lockers out of 96 and newer 4runners and Tacomas for under $500. 5.29's are a good gear ratio if you are going to run around a 35 4.56 are stronger you cou also think about a 4.88. As far as the front end the noise coud be a ujoint, the driveline, a trunion bearing, a birfield or other things. As Crash said you can get knuckle kits from several vendors.

my two 85s had 5.29s and 33''s and the speedo was close. felt like a hot rod and decent mileage too. :awesomework: Crash, he said the cheap detroit, drop in unit i think. they work good.

Much appreciated.

If not a Detroit, got a better one in mind?

Crash, I'll contact you once I have the pieces together to talk about price and time. Thanks a lot.

I am a die hard ARB guy--thats all I run,lol...

The aussie locker is pretty decent and most guys who run them are happy with them. But for strength the detroit is pretty up there--just has spme corks I don't like personally.

4:88 are good for 33's. I like detroits in the rear diff but sometimes they have their quirks but it's no bother. I always vote for dual cases on toys, easy way to get better gearing on the trail.

I would run 4:88s or run duel case. Guys I run with have had some problems with 5:29s but it really depends on what your goin to do with it!!!

:haha: @ Scott.

Nah, this has been the best rig I've ever owned as far as being dependable and trustworthy. I tried to sell it for 3500 a few years ago and got laughed out of the classifieds.

I really appreciate everybody's input. Am also glad I didn't go and grab up the 4.56s.

Dual transfer cases probably won't happen, just a bit out of my budget.

I vote dual cases and a stronger gear than 5.29

I'm running duals and 5.29's on 38 Tsl's... I have yet to break the gears! Been running them for over 3 years now too....

I vote 5.29's man. In the long run you will be happier than the 4.88.

For a pure trail rig, 5:29's are the way to go but on a freeway with 5:29's and 33's.:haha: A dual case is not that expensive especially considering how much better it makes off roading. When I build a yota it's lockers and dual cases befor ring and pinions. My .02.

Latest posts