• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Helpful tips for building a bouncer

wrenchbender

New guy to the site here, I figure this has all been discussed here before, and I hope to not seem like too big a moron lol but I'm planning to build a rock bouncer and would just like some food for thought! Me and a buddy love hill killing in our rzr xp's, but lately we've been itching to kick it up a notch! Though I am serious, right now I'm in the planning and gathering parts phase and I'm in no real great hurry. I'd like to learn all I can to give me the best shot at getting a decent build without having to go back and redo a bunch of stuff I'm not happy with. Right now I've got access to a set of hp 60's with kingpin knuckles and a np 205, I figure that'd be a decent platform for a modest bouncer, I'm not really looking to build a competition buggy by any means, just something to have fun with. I'm figuring on trying to run a gm 5.3 with some sort of compatible transmission. Basically ive got it in my head I'd like to be in the 400-500 horsepower range.. Now I'm sure there are plenty on here who know what works and what won't, and that's what I'm looking for! Trying to run that sort of hp range, what sort of transmission should I be trying to run? Gear ratios and tire size combos that will work great together? Good options on coilovers? As far as the engine goes, could I run that sort of hp with cam, heads, high compression, while still using stock injection setup and ecm tuning? If so, who should I deal with as far as tuning goes? Hopefully these don't seem like dumb questions to everybody, cause I'm sure there'll be more! Any information will be appreciated cause I'd like to learn all I can so hopefully I can spend my dollars in the right direction when I do get started!

Well I definitely hear that man! That's what my buddy keeps telling me, but honestly to me the build would be half the fun! Besides I'd take a great deal of pride in being able to ride or just look at it and say "hey, I built that!" Lol

Are you going with rear steer right away? If not, I would definitely suggest a 14 bolt for the rear super strong in stock form and super cheap. Trans-wise, a th400 will be pretty strong as is and there isn't much price difference between that and a th350. As far a shocks, if you buy a premade chassis, that will pretty much dictate your length unless you want to change the tubing. I'd say get you a chassis, gather the big parts and go from there. You'll likely have a million other questions along the way but they will be easier to answer after some of the other variables are nailed down.

wrenchbender said:
Well I definitely hear that man! That's what my buddy keeps telling me, but honestly to me the build would be half the fun! Besides I'd take a great deal of pride in being able to ride or just look at it and say "hey, I built that!" Lol

Buy something at the introductory level and work your way up to what you really want. Every time you take it out you will learn what you like about a buggy and what you don't. Everybodys style and tastes are different as well as there paychecks. In the end, this will save you time and money and get what you really want. Look in the Vehicles for sale thread for buggies and read the tech section and see how people have built them. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

What is your mechanical ability? Can you bend tube and weld? If you can, I say build it yourself. Sure, you will learn things as you go and probably redo half of it by the time youre done, but it will be all yours.

Built not bought :stir:

wrenchbender said:
could I run that sort of hp with cam, heads, high compression, while still using stock injection setup and ecm tuning?

No is the answer to this question.

wrenchbender said:

While I can't discount the fact that you would save a lot of time/money to buy a rig that's already put together I have to say I'm glad to see you say you'd like to build it yourself for the PRIDE of it. There's nothing better than hitting a few tough trails and coming out the other end with your rig still in one piece and knowing you built it.

Buy one with a good parts list. Chang what you don't like and fix as you go. After a year step back and make the decision of what you want to do. By then you will know your driving style and your abilitiea.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=57431.0

Perfect example. Buy this and wheel it a few times. The things you see on it you don't like cut up and start fixing one or two things here and there. If you get to the point you felt like you need a beefier drivetrain or more motor to mash then you will be ready to take the leap your wanting to take now. Do not build one your first go trust me. You will have 3 times the amount in what you can buy one for and start wheeling today

BUG-E J said:
Buy one with a good parts list. Chang what you don't like and fix as you go. After a year step back and make the decision of what you want to do. By then you will know your driving style and your abilitiea.

^ That right there.

Seen to many people get in over their heads ( Time/money/ability ) then give up on a build. This way you can ride and see what works for you.

Find every build thread on here and read them all, start t finish. Make notes of what u liked, note common parts, look for tips/tricks. Every hour u spend reading and learning will cut down on the "whoops" once u start with the cutting and grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUG-E J said:

X2

I can tell by your post you have no shot of building a bouncer right now and being happy with it. You need to wheel a few rigs and see what you like, get some seat time, and then start thinking about building what you really want, not what you think you want...

Rockwells...

The chassis is going to be the deciding factor.what is your building ability?
If you can bend up a chassis, most likely by the time your done you won't be happy with it.
If you are buying a chassis, that opens up a who new set of problems.
Post up a couple pics of buggies that you think you would be happy with.

muddinmetal said:
I can tell by your post you have no shot of building a bouncer right now and being happy with it. You need to wheel a few rigs and see what you like, get some seat time, and then start thinking about building what you really want, not what you think you want...

LOL....I see this all the time on Mustang / car forums.

1. New guy comes to the scene, posts questions on what he should build
2. A few OG board members post up "buy one already built / take rides with cars you think you might like"
3. New guy posts a bunch of stuff that's not even really pertinent / major concerns with build
4. More high post count folks tell new guy to buy one already built / been there done that / you'll thank us later
5. A couple terrible members(like me) post a joke or funny statement
6. New guy ignores everyone's posts / asks another questions about bolt pattern or what gauge wire needed for alternator.
7. A few OG board members realize no build will ever happen / commence ridicule posts
8. New guy call everyone fags / claims he came here for help / why is everyone assholes / **** off
9. Lower post count board members throw some LOLs and "X2's" in the mix from previous OG member posts.
10. New guy goes away and goes back to regular hobby of basket weaving or of the like.

Those are usually the 10 steps to "IM BUILDING A XXXXXXX / NEED ADVICE" thread on any car forum.