• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Helpful tips for building a bouncer

I think it mostly depends on what your goals are. I personally enjoyed building my buggy/truggy thing tremendously, but i would not recommend that route for your first rig.

FWIW, Id start with something toyota based and fully or partially assembled ....less expensive, extremely easy to work on and parts are plentiful. Make your initial investment as minimal as possible. Learn how to anticipate how a buggy works and how it reacts to certain types of situations and the terrain you prefer to wheel. All these factors will determine your setup. Building a buggy not only takes a good deal of $$$ in parts, but it takes a good deal of $$$ in tools.....and a ton of research!

You will not just jump in a rig and be TC. Seat time is key...and im a firm believer in crawling before you bounce.If you can wheel with a beat'n broken 22r, you can wheel with a stroked small block.

Either way you decide, i'm always game for more people getting out on the trail :drinkers:

Eddyj said:
Tony B with the post of the week!!!

Guy started a thread like this on a Cuda / E-body forum. He made like 20 new threads a day(not posts, new THREADS)....this went on for like 2 weeks. COUNTLESS people trying to be nice and help him. Basically all dude was doing was Googling parts for this car, then creating a thread topic about them. No searching(even though was suggested to him).

Long story short his last or one of his last posts were "Thanks for all the help guys, plans fell through ended up buying a C7 Corvette.".

This dude may be different though, but my record of calling it like this is pretty rock solid. Only ONE I can think of was a guy wanting to build a 9 sec. / daily driver fox body sleeper. I ate crow on that one. It was about an 8 month build though. Turned out really nice, professional and the guy ACTUALLYL used it. Not built it / ran it 4 times / sold it because 12th kid was on the way.

tonybolton said:
LOL....I see this all the time on Mustang / car forums.

1. New guy comes to the scene, posts questions on what he should build
2. A few OG board members post up "buy one already built / take rides with cars you think you might like"
3. New guy posts a bunch of stuff that's not even really pertinent / major concerns with build
4. More high post count folks tell new guy to buy one already built / been there done that / you'll thank us later
5. A couple terrible members(like me) post a joke or funny statement
6. New guy ignores everyone's posts / asks another questions about bolt pattern or what gauge wire needed for alternator.
7. A few OG board members realize no build will ever happen / commence ridicule posts
8. New guy call everyone fags / claims he came here for help / why is everyone assholes / **** off
9. Lower post count board members throw some LOLs and "X2's" in the mix from previous OG member posts.
10. New guy goes away and goes back to regular hobby of basket weaving or of the like.

Those are usually the 10 steps to "IM BUILDING A XXXXXXX / NEED ADVICE" thread on any car forum.

Lol!!! X2!!!

If I'm nice to him now it's funnier when I'm a **** to him later for not listening and butchering up some decent parts. :****:

Seriously, get a list together of parts

Tires, wheels
Axles
Shocks/struts
Seats
Drivetrain
Radiator and fans/coolers
Fuel injection or propane
Ect.....

Not counting a chassis, then look at the rigs for sale. Right now the buggy prices are low as hell.

poolman said:
Seriously, get a list together of parts

Tires, wheels
Axles
Shocks/struts
Seats
Drivetrain
Radiator and fans/coolers
Fuel injection or propane
Ect.....

Yep, someone could buy that rear engine smith buggy in the for sale section and drop some painties.

Not counting a chassis, then look at the rigs for sale. Right now the buggy prices are low as hell.

Re:

If I were dead set on building one, I'd collect parts and go drop it all off with a fab guy that I trusted, like Angry Fab George, and say "here, build me a buggy around all these parts. I want it ____ belly height, ____ wheelbase, plenty wiggle room for my 6'1" crippled leg ass, and plenty room for a beer cooler in the back..."

But, the best advice I can give is find one in the classifieds that already works, proven to be reliable, for under $20k. With that price range you should be able to find one with v8, tons, possibly stickies, and most the basic necessary goodies that makes a buggy work and reliable. This may be a highly modified Jeep buggy, full tube buggy, or even a Toyota based rig of sorts, etc. Buy it ready to go, wheel it for a while and see how you like wheeling (and maintaining) a full size rig. Usually a lot more goes into maintaining and fixing a full size rig than a side by side. Speaking from experience, as I have had 2 full size rigs and 1 sxs. Cost way more to maintain full size rig. Parts are higher when something fails or breaks, etc. But to me, there was no replacement for driving a full size rig over a sxs. I never enjoyed the sxs like I did wheeling either of my prior Toyota crawlers.

Going back to the $20k budget, that is usually a safe range for maintaining resale value on a well built crawl rig. Lot more folks looking to buy in the sub $20k range for a clean built, non junked up trail rig, than the $30k-$40k+ bouncer rigs.

If $20k sounds high, stop now, because you won't build a bouncer for that. Parts probably cost that much before a chassis is built.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re:

Case in point, $20k well built rear engine smith buggy for sale in classifieds now. Buy something like this, wheel it, you will learn more than is even fathomable at this point, then if you want to still build one later, sell the rig, collect parts, start fabricating/paying someone to fabricate. You shouldn't lose much if any on the purchase and sell of a buggy like that unless you fawk it up during your ownership. Lot cheaper to go that route and have instant fun instead of wasting a whole lot of time and money learning it all before getting to the wheeling part.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehardlinecrawlers%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D57647%2E0&share_tid=57647&share_fid=32116&share_type=t

Smith Rear Engine Buggy Fs/Ft

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tonybolton said:
I just wanted to point out everyone's use of the letter "i" . Thank you all very much.
Eye do what eye can.

And a full blown bouncer you can easily have 10k in axles and steering. Thats without a tab welded too them or a wheel bolted too them.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=57509.0

Make me an offer on this I am negotiable on the price since I'm getting ready to build a house. Super simple rig that you won't have much money in but it has a lot of good parts and it's very capable. You can wheel it as it is while you decide what you really want in a rig and buy another chassis or build one and then swap the parts over.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Well, I see there are some mixed opinions on here to say the least lol of me and the whole idea! Now as far as my wheeling experience goes, it's mainly been 4 wheelers and side by sides, primarily a 1k rzr since I made the mistake of sitting down in one lol, used to wheel my ol 78 land cruiser a lil back in the day but there wasn't anything "built" about it.. that being said I know I'll need some seat time to learn and tweak for driving style etc.. I've seen several buggies I liked both looks wise and performance wise that were privately built by owner and were bad ass, and I couldn't help but think "man that looks fun as hell!" Granted I don't plan on coming out the gate and performing like bobby tanner, Tim Cameron, Clayton Hollingsworth and the like, just looking to build me something to have some fun! Now, I know a lot of you are advising against it, but I'd really just like to build one.. I don't really think I'm a complete idiot, I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 11 years, and I'm a certified welder well experienced with fab projects, currently welding daily for a living. I've got access to a lot of necessary tools, tube bender, notcher, welder, cnc plasma, etc and plan on buying a few more as I go. There are 2 main reasons I plan on building one myself: 1, the pride factor. I can't help it, but I love to build things, make them my own, then be able to take pride in the fact that I built that! Way back in the day I took a turn at tractor pulling, was fun as hell but like I say the build was half the fun! Could've bought one ready to go, or bought components ready built like others were doing but had to custom do everything, right down to having gears from something else wire edm'd and pressed on my gears center hub, building my own "custom" gear sets that nobody had one just like! And like I say there was nothing like the feeling when I took it out and it performed very well of knowing it was mine, and I built it. Reason 2, spreading cost. Like I say, I'm in no great hurry, and I just feel like if I buy a lil here and there, and wait for a deal now and then the cost won't hurt near as bad lol. I know I've got a 20k rzr sitting at the house, and I just figure 20k would've prolly went a long way towards building the kind of buggy I want..

I had this exact conversation with a guy just last week about buggies...

he was just like you - coming from RZRs, not a lot of 1:1 seat time, not a ton of 1:1 experience (which is not a bad thing...we all start somewhere)...wanting a "bouncer"

I asked him...why a bouncer? why do you want to dip your foot in the water with one of the most expensive and (pardon my french) but limited wheeling rigs out there? They are designed to do one thing...and they do that well. But to get one to work worth a ****, you are spending big money on HP and the parts to hold up to it. Why don't you just get into something that will get you on the trails, in the woods, climbing rocks, seeing obstacles....you can build a simple toyota/jeep/1ton based buggy for $20k EASY if you are doing the work yourself and know where to find a deal. $20k won't get you the axles and tires of a bouncer that is worth a ****.

You could certainly piece something that is long, low, bright colored, curvy tubed, and loud - and call it a bouncer...but he was trying to build something to "do like he sees the other guys do on youtube" for ~$25k

That's like trying to go race nascar with a 1991 chevy lumina and a small block....

My advice is to get something that will get you in the woods for simple and low $...see what you ACTUALLY like. I have personally met a lot of guys out there whose first 4wd ever was a high dollar bouncer...and they are now trying to sell them all because they hate it. They cant get them to "do like youtube", they are loud, they are hot, they are uncomfortable, and they dont trail wheel well...

Get some seat time in something that is just out in the woods and on the trails...THEN buy (or build) what you really decide you want.

To build a nice competitive bouncer you'll be in it 40k if you do it yourself. Suspension and everything clearing is the most important part. Outside of that you can use any parts you want. If you go over 400 horses and can drive like the youtube heros you better look into full blown custom stuff and keep the axle options open to upgrade to 47 spline. Please start a build thread and good luck

slravenel said:
I had this exact conversation with a guy just last week about buggies...

he was just like you - coming from RZRs, not a lot of 1:1 seat time, not a ton of 1:1 experience (which is not a bad thing...we all start somewhere)...wanting a "bouncer"

I asked him...why a bouncer? why do you want to dip your foot in the water with one of the most expensive and (pardon my french) but limited wheeling rigs out there? They are designed to do one thing...and they do that well. But to get one to work worth a ****, you are spending big money on HP and the parts to hold up to it. Why don't you just get into something that will get you on the trails, in the woods, climbing rocks, seeing obstacles....you can build a simple toyota/jeep/1ton based buggy for $20k EASY if you are doing the work yourself and know where to find a deal. $20k won't get you the axles and tires of a bouncer that is worth a ****.

You could certainly piece something that is long, low, bright colored, curvy tubed, and loud - and call it a bouncer...but he was trying to build something to "do like he sees the other guys do on youtube" for ~$25k

That's like trying to go race nascar with a 1991 chevy lumina and a small block....

My advice is to get something that will get you in the woods for simple and low $...see what you ACTUALLY like. I have personally met a lot of guys out there whose first 4wd ever was a high dollar bouncer...and they are now trying to sell them all because they hate it. They cant get them to "do like youtube", they are loud, they are hot, they are uncomfortable, and they dont trail wheel well...

Get some seat time in something that is just out in the woods and on the trails...THEN buy (or build) what you really decide you want.
Yeah I didn't want to hurt his ego but it takes along time to get in something and not let off no matter what. I still close my eyes on some stuff. It's easy to stand and watch and say man that ain't **** I can do it. Then you go wheel and watch video of yourself "doing crazy stuff" and you look like josh dean driving.
My buggy is set up to be trail friendly and we have been wheeling it alot lately but we are planning a streetable 4 runner in the future. Bouncers make level 3 and under stuff so easy it's not fun, you can't talk to anyone when it's running, and race gas ain't cheap. Once again coming from experience I would buy something with an awesome parts list, beat the holy living hell out of it, then build what you want.

They ain't lying about seat time. I have ridden ATVs all over since I was 5 and have been in a big block Jeep for the last 3 years and can tell you it is a steep learning curve. Buy a Yota rig and beat the crap out of it to see if you like it. Or buy my jeep and let me go back to an RZR but I wouldn't go straight to a bouncer. That's like trying to lose your virginity to Jenny McCarthy......start with an ugly beat up rig and see if you like it, then get ambitious when you know you're ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk