• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Helpful tips for building a bouncer

Dirt700 said:
Better work lots of overtime, it gets expensive, fast!

Yeah, I saw a red flag with the statement below Lol

"Reason 2, spreading cost. Like I say, I'm in no great hurry, and I just feel like if I buy a lil here and there, and wait for a deal now and then the cost won't hurt near as bad lol."

**** adds up wayyyy faster than you think.

Re: Re: Helpful tips for building a bouncer

TacomaJD said:

And there's a bunch of dumb **** that you don't even think about. When I built mine people said it would nickel and dime me to death and they were wrong because it's not nickels and dimes but fiftys and hundreds.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
And there's a bunch of dumb **** that you don't even think about. When I built mine people said it would nickel and dime me to death and they were wrong because it's not nickels and dimes but fiftys and hundreds.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I have always heard you take the highest number you can come up with on the most detailed parts list you can think of and add 10k. That gets you riding. Then you will spend another 5k on the stuff you didn't think of the first 3 rides out. That seems about accurate. :****:

TacomaJD said:
Yeah, I saw a red flag with the statement below Lol

"Reason 2, spreading cost. Like I say, I'm in no great hurry, and I just feel like if I buy a lil here and there, and wait for a deal now and then the cost won't hurt near as bad lol."

I spent almost 800 this month and all I got is an oil pan, alternator relocation brackets and some an fittings, stuff has gotten stupid expensive. I seen your new badass leg was 25k? I know it's a necessity for you, but that seems so expensive.

Ok I understand the thoughts of wanting to build your own rig that is the reason I built my own rig but building a rig is less about fab skills and more about understanding how everything needs to work for it to be a good performance rig anyone can throw some tubes together to look a certain way but to make it work and not spend a ton of time or money to redo stuff is where it pays off to wheel a bunch and understand what you want and what you would need to build a rig that has those features. Not trying to talk you out of it bc it is cool to build something from the ground up and know that you are the one who made it but what it sounds like is you like the idea of a bouncer but you dont know what small details it takes to build one and the details is what makes a good rig

BUG-E J said:
I have always heard you take the highest number you can come up with on the most detailed parts list you can think of and add 10k. That gets you riding. Then you will spend another 5k on the stuff you didn't think of the first 3 rides out. That seems about accurate. :****:
That's what it's looking like on mine as of now!

Dirt700 said:
I spent almost 800 this month and all I got is an oil pan, alternator relocation brackets and some an fittings, stuff has gotten stupid expensive. I seen your new badass leg was 25k? I know it's a necessity for you, but that seems so expensive.

Not to derail too much, but yes, they are high as giraffe *****. And mine is a simple primitive pin lock system and is below the knee. The ones above the knee that has a microprocessor knee and other technology, can easily get up to $75k or more. My insurance will pay most of it, but I'm still left footing a bill for 2 or 3 grand, but luckily my old one cracked in the car wreck I had in June and will be covered completely by auto insurance. Lawyer is currently drawing up the claim....so it shouldn't cost me ****. Better not anyways. molaugh

Just speaking from experience, ive been Wheeling full size rigs the past 13-14 years and have probably owned just about as Many rigs as anyone on here in the last 13-14 years from junkers to decently nice rigs. Get something complete that you can hit the trails in that someone already spent the big money on and ride it until you figure out exactly what you like (completely different experience from the rzr world, I've been in both sides many times). Bouncers are cool but not for everyone. Buying them is the easy part, the weekly parts bill is the expensive part. The geometry and knowledge of setting up a functional suspension for type of riding you do is on a different level I'm still trying to figure out myself.

BUG-E J said:
Eye do what eye can.

And a full blown bouncer you can easily have 10k in axles and steering. Thats without a tab welded too them or a wheel bolted too them.
The costs add up real quick. This latest one is the least expensive buggy so far and I've got over $30k just in parts. I didn't get anything extravagant this time either, plus I already had the engine, steering, built axles and wheels. There is something to be said about building it yourself, but there's also something to be said about saving $20k and having a working buggy by buying a proven buggy used. That rear engine smith buggy would be mine if I was in the market.