• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hey P help me answer some engine questions.

benfowler87

Hey P this is Ben Fowler from Morris and Gray Rock remember i got the red and silver 87 Chevy that you drooled over. She's gettin a new motor, it's a 350 thats gonna be bored into a 383 stroker with some high flow Dart heads. Anybody got some tips on parts combinations and expecially which fuel injection setup to run on this thing? ??? :dunno:

Just curious, what combustion size do those dart heads have? I would keep the size a little high so you dont have to worry about running premium fuel or such. Or if you do go with a small chamber size get some pistons that have a bit of dish, or have good valve clearance. Reason being this "new to us" fuel with ethanol has crappy power compared to regular gasoline.

What kind of power you looking for out of this motor?
Carb, or injection?

By the way, I know I'm not P but, this is the motor I'm building for my buggy. thumb.gif

Maybe I can weigh in with some sort of help.

I built a sick 383 a few years ago. Still have it on the stand, we'll get into that in a second.

For the money you'll have in building a motor, parts, and machine work. If I did it again I would go the GM crate route 383
$4180 340hp, and Peak torque is 435 ft.lbs at 4000 rpm,
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/HT383-Performance-Crate-Engine-12499101-P7C53.aspx

However, I do not plan on building a motor again. Too much money for what you get. Next time around I'm going to buy a 25,000 mile 5.3 or 6.0 out of a wrecked late model for $1200-1600 and go with that. If I feel crazy maybe throw several G's at it. Versus where I'm at now, and still carburated!

Alright, the motor I built is very similiar to what you mentioned. 383 stroker motor I built initially dyno'd 468hp & 490ft/lbs. We've since done a few changes and am slightly over 500 in both. But I have definately given up a great deal of streetability.
I started with a 2bolt main block and splayed the bearing caps. If you have a 4bolt block then you're ahead of where I started (well depending on HP your after). I was going to exceed what I felt comfortable on a 2 bolt block (325hp 2bolt, and 475hp is what i'd consider the threshhold on a 4bolt non-splayed, just my opinion) and wanted the splayed mains, thats why I started with a 2 bolt block.
Anywho, Dart Iron Eagle heads, and 10:1 Eagle rotating assembly.

To save retyping, I typed this out on Pirate a few years ago, heres what I had over there.

I'm running the Dart Iron Eagle's but in 200 fashion, but they are way flowed out and port matched to a hogged out Victor JR. and a Edlebrock 750.
Machine shop and parts were a lil over $5000, plus a block, the bare heads, and the intake and carb.
Breakdown est.:
Eagle Balanced Rotating assembly $1700
Misc parts $1500 (gaskets,timing set, cam, lifters,springs, retainers,keepers, ARP studs, new exhaust valves, pushrods, roller rocker arms, oil pump, splayed caps, mainstuds)
$1900 labor & machine work (dressed & cleaned ports, splayed mains, clearance block, surface bore, cam bearings, race prep, assload of head & intake work.) Since I didn't want to bang it up, I paid to have everything assembled. Yes I know I suck, but better suck than blown up.

I didn't have the heads flow tested, I thought about having it done, but didn't. I just had them hog them out the most they could, and clean out all the crap that restricted them, then had them port matched. As for the cam, 12-678-4 which is .520/.540 244/252 @ .050 solid flat tappet. Yeah I didnt go roller cause of the cost. If I built the same motor today, I would go full roller with a drysump setup. Only reason, I have more money to afford that setup today. I wanted it when I built the motor, but couldn't afford it.

Heads are where you make the power. I've seen some stock Vortecs that were port matched, and hogged out that produced big time for the $$$$ (read: cheap in comparison), better than alot of stuff out there. With heads though you can spend as little or as much as you want, $$$'s the limit. Unless you have DARTs laying around to use. Just laying out an alternative.

Sorry I have no idea on injection, except a stock GM TBI, and Paul "P" or Kelly "Blacksheep10" will have to chime in on that.

Why is my motor listed above living out its life on an engine stand? It was to go in my '58 Chevy, and before that happened, I had a cherry deal fall in my lap in the form of a RamJet350.

6 liter and dont look back.
although, I have a set of 2.02 220 cc intake runner angle plug sportsman II's with manley street flos and a balanced eagle rotating assembly with 6" H beams adn wiseco 10.25:1's with full floating pins for sale if you want to stay 350. also has a hydraulic roller cam and I have some roller rockers that can go with it....air gap too. could save you a lot of money

anyway, on something that hungry, you won't get a single throttle body to slake its thirst. plan on dropping $1500 or so on injection making a double throttle body system work. or you can get port injection and hope its enough in stock form because above that it gets $$$

seriously, for what you can do with $1K to a 6 liter, you have a VERY RELIABLE 450ft/lb and close to 400 horse on a stock reliable as **** bottom end and an injection system made to do it right. just a thought.
cashtalks on here is doing a 6 liter with new cam and springs and some other **** in a 79 chevy right now, all of it would be the same to yours adapter plates, header and motor mount, etc. hit him up or I can burn out anything you need to make it go more smoothly.

Yeah it's a four bolt main that was fuel injected from the factory. It came out of a 1990 K-5 with only 54,000 miles. The engine looks great internally, just dirty on the outside. The guy I bought it from left it in the K-5 while he built a 454, and was running when taken out.

Ben, glad I could help buddy.

Really there's alot smarter motor guys on here than me. I can troubleshoot repair and rebuild but hell Ive never had the money or desire to build a "hot" engine... Ive just been waiting to snag my dads 383 one day when he isnt looking. ( his lose my gain ) laughing1

Thanks guys.
Yeah this is the first time i have gotten really involved with an engine build, and it's going in my personal truck so i actually give a damn about it. Anyone with ideas or suggestions please reply.

Yeah if you scratch that thing or try to wheel it I am gonna come steal it to save you from yourself :flipoff1: :flipoff1: That is a super clean truck and needs to stay a street cruiser.

Matt O. said:
Yeah if you scratch that thing or try to wheel it I am gonna come steal it to save your from yourself :flipoff1: :flipoff1: That is a super clean truck and needs to stay a street cruiser.

X2 you need to quit tryin to F up a nice truck

The motor thats in it uses about 1 quart of oil a week and is lacking some serious power. I'm not planning on wheelin it just want a motor to match the overall truck.

all that being said wyatt, and you know engines better then me for sure, but if i had that much money in an engine i sure in the hell wouldnt keep it on a Harbor Freight engine stand :flipoff1: ;D

Latest posts