• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

High mileage Deesuls

money_pit_yj

I am looking to buy a tow rig and want a older diesul. I have 2 querstions

1. How many miles are guys getting out of trucks and what do they have in them? (Motor/trans)
2. Are these 200,000+ mile trucks really bringing $15K plus?

Yes these trucks are bringing over 15K with over 200K. Look at what a new one costs...

And if I were buying it would be GM or Dodge. The 7.3 trucks are outdated as hell and most are wore the hell out by now. I'd be looking at 03-06 Dodges or 05-+ GM's. Get your heart right.

Or, if you really mean older diesel. The older 7.3 trucks and the older Dodge trucks are very affordable and good units.

matth_85 said:
Yes these trucks are bringing over 15K with over 200K. Look at what a new one costs...

And if I were buying it would be GM or Dodge. The 7.3 trucks are outdated as hell and most are wore the hell out by now. I'd be looking at 03-06 Dodges or 05-+ GM's. Get your heart right.

Or, if you really mean older diesel. The older 7.3 trucks and the older Dodge trucks are very affordable and good units.

really mean older thumb.gif

Re:

I've got 8k in a 4 door 4x4 2000 model 7.3 with 261k. Tows well, stops well, rides well. It may not be a powerhouse but minus a couple fuses, one sensor and a bad fuel pump, I love it. Wait around and find the right truck for you. How much are you wanting to tow? How often are you going to tow? Where are you towing to and from?

Kel Lawrence

money_pit_yj said:
I am looking to buy a tow rig and want a older diesul. I have 2 querstions

1. How many miles are guys getting out of trucks and what do they have in them? (Motor/trans)
2. Are these 200,000+ mile trucks really bringing $15K plus?

1. 262k on my 7.3/auto. Dragging 15k lbs around last week on 37's. Would drive it cross country tomorrow.
2. Absolutely.

The way I see is the diesel market is split into two categories. Emission or older non emission engines.
If you can do your own repairs to a point the older engines are simple and reliable. The newer stuff has more hp and more systems that can and will eventually have issues..
The older engines will have issues too but most can be repaired without a laptop.
I am a diesel mechanic. I have a 02 7.3 with 278K on it. The truck is solid. Engine does have minor blow by which is expected given the mileage. I have no desire for another truck and payment but I would not pay over 12K for one like it.
If you are the type of person who has all your maintenance and repairs done by someone else a diesel truck will get deep in your pocket quickly. You need to factor that into your decision to buy one.
Diesel trucks are great only if they are making or saving you money.

I was at a farm and construction auction this past Saturday. There was a 95 f250 regular cab, decent inside and out that had a automatic transmission and powerstroke that went for $1050. I kick myself for not bidding more but didnt want to go crazy. Started easy and didnt smoke. Dang it should have went to $1500 at least.

I am going to address this from a dependability standpoint as well as my own experience. I drive an 08 6.7 cummins with only 68,000 miles on it. It had a rear main seal leak at 43,000 miles and egr issues at about 46,000. I had the seal fixed and the egr and dpf deleted and haven't had any issues since.
Now, I'll share my experience with the GM trucks. You and I have messaged before and we are in the same business. We have had 5 duramax trucks in 6 years. The guy we share our warehouse with has had about a dozen in the same amount of years. The highest mileage truck in the pack is at 285,000 and the only thing replaced so far are the tires, brakes, and an alternator. That's a pre-emissions truck. 3 of the others were all dpf only trucks that we ran up to 150,000 and 180,000 miles. Again, only tires and brakes. The newer trucks with the DEF systems on them have been run from brand new to about 140,000 (I think is the highest mileage truck in the group of newer ones we have). The sensors on the DEF tank and system have been an issue on all of them. Not a huge deal but and inconvenience.
Keep in mind all of these trucks have lived with a gooseneck trailer behind them or a 1,000 gallon fertilizer tank. We haul 5, 250 gallon totes frequently. That's max towing capacity between the truck and trailer. No transmission or motor issues with any of these trucks with that kind of load almost daily. Hell the truck I drive is a 2012 duramax with 108,000 miles and still on the original brakes.

matth_85 said:

Man I had to GIVE my dern 7.3 away. It was an 01 with 165k on it and ran like a top! Didn't even bring 7 grand. I was surprised. I wouldn't have sold it if I had room to keep it. Outdated, yes. But it was trouble free and would pull what I needed to pull. Got 17-18mpg empty and 15 loaded to the gills. Great truck.

creepycrawly said:
Man I had to GIVE my dern 7.3 away. It was an 01 with 165k on it and ran like a top! Didn't even bring 7 grand. I was surprised. I wouldn't have sold it if I had room to keep it. Outdated, yes. But it was trouble free and would pull what I needed to pull. Got 17-18mpg empty and 15 loaded to the gills. Great truck.

I was the one texting you when you sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creepycrawly said:

With 165K, that truck was far from what I was referring to... Anything back of 200K is a good mileage 7.3 IMO.

Definitely not high mileage. It was rough outside but immaculate inside. Big thing that hurt me was it was 2wd. I knew that would be a tough sell when I bought it, but I bought it to use, not to resell. I drove it for 2.5 years and enjoyed it. Just giving a reference point on a recent sale not far from you.

I prefer my old ass 12v Cummins. The truck is crap, but the powertrain is the sh*t. 5 speed 4x4, if you find one, make sure its had a steering box upgrade and rock out! 200k isn't even broken in. Gets 20-22 unloaded and 14 ish loaded.

The only problem with the old trucks is that most of them have at one point been owned by some **** head kid and has been beat to death. If you can find an old man selling the 12 valve he bought new in 96, it would be the last truck you'd ever need to buy.

My tow pig is going up for sale soon, going to go quick and cheap. 2000 f350 dually, reg. Cab, 7.3, 81000 miles. $12,500. Was a southern truck 2 years ago

Mine has 208K on it and I'd drive it to Moab tomorrow if I could. I was thinking about selling mine and looked to see what others were asking and was shocked to see how much people were asking for them. It's an 01 Dodge 2500 quad cab short bed 4x4 with an auto.

1999 f250 pulls a gooseneck with a 12000 pound mini x almost everyday with 407000 miles. Replaced a turbo and injectors and change the oil. 7.3 are tough.

^^^^ coming from a man that I told FOREVER sale them dodges and get a ford. And let's not talk about red please!

Never ever ever buy a dodge. You'll regret it. Biggest pieces of crap ever built. Great motor, wrapped in a glitchy, unreliable dog turd.