• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hitch Capacity

jakes89f150

So maybe its my ignorance to paying attention to detail but who here knew that a Class III hitch (2in tube Dia) is only rated for 5000lbs gross trailer weight by the DOT.
However winch receiver mounts are directed to plug into a class III receiver with use of winches up to 10,000lbs.

So is this a recent change by the DOT or has it always been like that?
I think its something that just got made up because the hitch that me and my dad put on the back of my dads f250 is a Class III 10,000lbs capacity hitch (Box is around here somewhere) yet now according to DOT Class IV hitches are now rated at 10000lb's and still use the same 2in receiver.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow_hitch

Class III - up to 5,000 pounds (2,268 kg),
Class IV - up to 10,000 lb (4,536 kg)
Receiver-type hitches are typically offered with a square receiver opening of 1.25 inches / 31.7 mm x 1.25 inches (for Class I/II) or 2 inches / 50.1 mm x 2 inches (for Class III/IV/V). Some Class IV/V hitches are available in 2.5 inch / 63.5 mm x 2.5 inch opening sizes.

From what Ive seen (which isnt a lot), class III is 5000 LBS weight carrying.

Most 2" receivers you see are multiclass III/IV rated, meaning with the proper hitch setup (such as a weight distributing), you can tow more. Meaning, you can find different ranges of class III/IV hitches. Some that are 5000 LBS WC/7500 LBS WD, or 5000 LBS WC/10000 WD, even 7000 WC/12000 WD. A true class IV only rated hitch is typically 12000 WC/14000 WD from what Ive seen.

So, if you buy a multiclass hitch (class III/IV), you need to be sure the hitch is rated for what you plan to tow, because theyre not all created equally. Meaning, the one you may have put into your Dads truck probably is rated to 10,000 LBS, but only with the proper hitch for the receiver.

They advertise towing capacities just like anything else, with the highest number. So, it might be 10,000 LBS with a WD hitch, but only 7500 LBS without. Just like tow straps that are 10,000 LBS breaking strength advertised or whatever, when in fact the WORKING STRENGTH is only 3500 LBS.

~T.J.

Last edited:
one thing about wikapedia is that it's just info that people have supplied so it could be wrong.

that sux....
as far as for a hitch... get a real truck and a real reciver if you want to put a load on'er.... 2.5" class v+ is where its at if ya wana bumper pull... otherwise gooseneck/5th wheel ....

as far as as for a winch, 3, 4 and 5 all use the same dia retaining pin....

thats just it, all of them use a 5/8's pin, and the dia of the tubing means **** when its hollow.
5/16 wall 2in tube is tougher than the 5/8's pin anyway and mind you it takes ~27000lb's to shear a 5/8's pin, and considering your actually distributing the weight of the trailer over 2 shear points it would take ~54000lbs to shear that 5/8's pin