• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Home Depot welder?

dr drae

So the wife and I have leftover HD gift cards from our wedding last summer. I normally wouldn't think of HD as a place to shop for a welder, but the gift cards add up. Is the Lincoln Weld-Pak 175HD even worth it? or would it be a waste of money? It's the 'top of the line' they carry and the only 230V wire feed they carry. I don't think I'd want anything less than that.

015082801087_3.jpg

The WELD-PAK 175HD from Lincoln Electric lets you take command of those projects that require some extra muscle. With its attention-getting 175 amps of output, this 208/230-volt wire feeder welder is powerful enough to weld mild steel up to 3/16 In. thickness with gas-shielded MIG wire and 1/2 In. with .045 In.nershield

Welder

Given your circumstances its a great welder. I bought one years back and it still works awesome. Make sure you get a Mig kit for it, And buy a cleaner for the wire to keep the buildup inside the lead down. Other than that it will work fine. The only problem I had was I had to sand the connection where the lead plugged into the welder after about a year of heavy use. This is the kind of stuff you would do to most welders anyways.
I does not weld as nice as a TRUE BLUE but it wil definetly get the job done.
Rgds,
Dennis

I've got an old weld-pak 155 230V that has worked great for alot of years. I bought it at home depot also. I have since bought a milller 251 but the old 155 did alot.

Thats a good machine. I've got the 175T from Central Welding, same basic thing. Your gonna want to get another face sheild and keep that one for backup. And like previously mentioned a bottle of gas and appropriate wire.