• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hop along Sami

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. It was raining and steel deck trailers are slippery :dblthumb:

Still raining around these parts. I figured I'd do some prepping for the Hard-line ride. Ujoints, or should I say grenades, were set on stun. Bearings were just about to give up their ghosts. Got some spares, just need a spare yoke or two and I'll be good.

c83cb997c0ed3d847d982e5dd82011cd.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I got my new bearings and seals in just a bit ago and was pretty ecstatic to get it all apart. So far, so good until I go to drain the transfer case. The main problem that I found, is that 5 drips came out and that was all. I got a little disgusted and put everything up for the night, to get back out tomorrow. Maybe I will find no internal damage and all will be well, maybe.

d509851cc020a8215def52e81ebb1666.jpg

kushKrawlin said:
What's that drive shaft out of Kel? Tryin to figure out what spare parts I may need to bring for you to the HL ride. Ha. Looks like a yota shaft... I just happen to have parts for if it is ...

Its Toyota for sure. The outputs on the Sami case were changed over to Toyota flanges. Got a few more odds ends to finish up before I tear any further into the case. I am just aggravated at the situation right now, but that too shall pass.

Cracked transfer case housing. Still haven't gotten the last output off but I am making progress.

a198be4d72cb6989f432208280420754.jpg

0f097085b9488fec3ce4b4f52f266d7d.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

KyTrash said:
Are you going to weld it back up ? :dunno:

Looking for a new case. I was told to get a spine for it too. Gonna do a little more research and get it back together.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Looking for a new case. I was told to get a spine for it too. Gonna do a little more research and get it back together.

Pretty sure I've got one laying around if you want it.

allhaildeez said:
Pretty sure I've got one laying around if you want it.

Thanks for the transfer case. It is officially in pieces beside the other one in my living room.

Question of the day. I have only been into two Samurai transfer cases, both have been empty of fluid. Is it normal for them to be empty? Obviously I know that is false. The first had a 4-5 inch crack in it, so I get where the fluid went. The second had no cracks or oily spots on the outside. All seals appeared to be good and there was 123 drops of oil in it. From what I read, it should have a quart of fluid in it. I don't want to ruin bearings or burn up a 6.5 gear set. Anyone that runs these cases long term have any thoughts? I want to do this once and do it right, but I am scratching my head on this second case.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Thanks for the transfer case. It is officially in pieces beside the other one in my living room.

Question of the day. I have only been into two Samurai transfer cases, both have been empty of fluid. Is it normal for them to be empty? Obviously I know that is false. The first had a 4-5 inch crack in it, so I get where the fluid went. The second had no cracks or oily spots on the outside. All seals appeared to be good and there was 123 drops of oil in it. From what I read, it should have a quart of fluid in it. I don't want to ruin bearings or burn up a 6.5 gear set. Anyone that runs these cases long term have any thoughts? I want to do this once and do it right, but I am scratching my head on this second case.

I daily drove on for years, never saw a big leak, and still had to top it off with fluid every few thousand miles

Breathers often get closed and that would pressure the case and force oil out.

Bebop said:
Breathers often get closed and that would pressure the case and force oil out.

They are clean now. I guess I will have to just keep a good check every ride or two.

muddinmetal said:
I daily drove on for years, never saw a big leak, and still had to top it off with fluid every few thousand miles

I just don't want to go through this every time. I don't mind learning and seeing the internals of my transfer case, but two in cases in two weeks had me concerned.