• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hop along Sami

L

lowbudgetjunk

This particular Samurai has been passed around like a whore at prom. Some guy did this, some guy did that, parts here, parts there. I got it as a cheap way to stay on the trails with some extra money to finish up my buggy. True to my name, I am keeping this on budget and I am doing a piss poor job of Booty Fab to get this pig running right.

So far, I have cut off the rear trac bar double joint and welded one end directly to the frame. i welded the front diff cover on, after pulling it off with my hand. There is a hole in the bottom of the diff itself, which is going to be welded shut at some point. Small leak and i am sure when I try and fix it, it will go to being a big hole. I am going to have to clearance the fenders in the rear. I have been grinding off a bunch of super sharp, pointy steel that has removed pieces of my scalp, hair included. Front output bearing is making noise, so the case is coming out tomorrow. Sheared four studs on the rear passenger caliper bracket, ripped the ears off the caliper and scored the brake pad down to the metal backing plate. Pulling it all out tomorrow to get it right. I have installed some extra lights, fire extinguishers and storage. I am going to replace the rear shocks due to being worn out and probably cut off all of the front suspension and put on some air shocks. It really needs some type of bump in there as well. It is noisy, bouncy and looks scarier than I care to admit.

Like Shityota, this piece is for sale. I just want record of whats going on and the booty fab that I can take credit for and what was here when I got it. Without further ado.......pictures from my phone

4ddd8468ac12eabd8a9e38195c683892.jpg

Kevin getting rid of pointy steel....notice his safety glasses on top of his hat, not protecting his eyes :flipoff1: If you lose one, I will let Connor know the reason :popcorn:

af7ca3253134dd4416d7c63386f0857d.jpg

More crap welds. Holding so far.

61cd4ba6453cd8ce0f939abbf48edcf0.jpg

Three bottles of water and the battery holds a charge.

84e705b60203efa88cb3845b77dacfee.jpg

Sprinkler system? Dunno. Just gonna leave it there. Runs like a champ.
3652ae93ea1f2fa07e8aa0cabec64bd6.jpg

Man strength to rip this off.

4785797a305a213876755f8b0b08534c.jpg

This collection of boogers is mine, but has stood up to some abuse already and helped solve my rear hopping on hills.

fd7d77e0b2f94accbb883589a3b53fce.jpg

d09f41b6d041c9e38df50aa6ee6f881a.jpg

857024ade6425b6e2e0de701c3f47a1e.jpg

Mo welded up my yoke to get me wheeling for the weekend.

47f96ef077a8f8b151eb0afbbd286475.jpg

b9de3d2ff1c95e7bf415a3f549da2672.jpg

I do have a question about the propane system. It is probably a vaccuum question and will be a quick answer, but I can't locate the picture. It runs well, but I don't want to run it lean and lose out on any of my 50 hp. When I tear into it tomorrow, I will snap some pretty epic pictures and let y'all have some head scratching moments.

So is that an old trombone painted black and soldered to the axle? Copper tubing sweat together?

That dude looks awesome.

I personally like that little Sami.

I am a fan, just got to declutter a few things.

Some change in the front suspension needed.

824878de9219e6af56e89778e7abde13.jpg

83181fa1e5f06ca51c78fcedc05fa988.jpg

538eab5c7ea6009cb65e8fd5bc3b5b66.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Just remember. Anywhere this little pile goes, anyone should be able to follow. I truly feel the decluttering of the front suspension with airshocks and some cheap bumps with a limiting chain/strap will improve the ride and its all that I am willing to invest. I think 12 inchers will do. As far as the trombone goes. That is similar to the single down bar on Shityota. It is patented and not worth your imminent death for seeking out the trade secret. You've been warned.

Eddyj said:
Did taking the shackle out help the hop?

I walked Sometingwong without slipping a tire in the soaking wet. Heres a few short videos of proof.

https://youtu.be/7hb9fJb2wrM

**** Stihl saws...but seriously. We had just opened up this side of the trail and that tree will remove paint of anyone that tries that line. Bobby wanted to cut it down, but I wanted only the dedicated, willing to remove paint to be able make it.

https://youtu.be/O1T1_2yjAEw

Two weeks ago, I literally would have bunny hopped this little spot

https://youtu.be/ppHbPVsf280

I think its out of oil though...no smoke?!?!?!?!

j/k Cool rig and it does seem to run really well. Oddly enough I had come across those videos earlier today in my searches for wheeling videos. I kept watching the front wondering why it wasn't really moving. The springs were just too far compressed at ride height to allow the front to move freely. I think the air shocks will be a huge improvement...and no doubt the 12" version will be plenty.

clemsonjeep said:
I think its out of oil though...no smoke?!?!?!?!

j/k Cool rig and it does seem to run really well. Oddly enough I had come across those videos earlier today in my searches for wheeling videos. I kept watching the front wondering why it wasn't really moving. The springs were just too far compressed at ride height to allow the front to move freely. I think the air shocks will be a huge improvement...and no doubt the 12" version will be plenty.

I just got the oil reference. You must have followed me in my single seater years ago. 3 cylinders of fury that hunk of junk was. I never had an insect problem in 8 months of wheeling with that mobile.
Currently I have 3 inches up and 2.5 inches down :) The front coils are cut down 250 inch pounders, a little heavy in my mind.

It really just rides rough to have a top speed of 19mph. I have dealt with Airshocks on a heavy vehicle, which is a horrible idea. But, this light weight little guy should be perfect. On a side note, I am going to load up my storage bins with tools, fluids and I need to find a place to put my high lift jack. I potentially needed it this weekend and it wasn't to be found.

The video that caused me to rethink the rear.

https://youtu.be/ppHbPVsf280

The video that solidified the change. But look at that freaking steering quick as a horny rabbit.

https://youtu.be/60E8ZwGxDvg

Might be needed in the Airshock thread.....how much angle, front to back is acceptable on an Airshock? I know out to in is preferable, but this is a budget build with Booty as emphasis on Fab. I want to use what is there if at all possible and it would lean the airshocks front to back 10-15 degrees from the axle to the mounting point. Out to in might end up around 5 degrees.

Re:

When mine still had the stock running gear, I had 175 in front, and 150lb in rear, and it done pretty good! You can buy those springs new for around 35 bucks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Re:

zukimaster said:
When mine still had the stock running gear, I had 175 in front, and 150lb in rear, and it done pretty good! You can buy those springs new for around 35 bucks.

I was just thinking packaging and weight of this mobile the airshocks will do me well. There is a lot going on in the front end and I really just want to simplify all of it. Chopping off all of the brackets, mounting a shock per side with a cheap bump and a limiting strap should make for a more stable, easy to tune set up. If I change springs at this point, there is still no adjustability and I would have to cut off mounts to get any more travel.

smurfy90 said:
Kevin works? Don't believe that.

He single handedly put on the wheel spacers. :****: Now if he'll just show up for the transfer case disassembly, bearing replacement and reassembly.

I am trying to figure out what is going on with the propane system on this beast. I don't know much about anything.....especially not propane.

I will post some pictures and see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

eb6f09eb7f90cbd84b90140bb4787f4f.jpg

45f283a859fc8cdb99c981e88e7239ff.jpg

fd71d626aca54796eed0d03bdea95f4f.jpg

960bb9cdb2a1e288c2bb754ab438e2cc.jpg

f92328ffbf5e76100fc5dbb10dc67a9d.jpg

d33a376bc6a71168c9cd88669ac9e995.jpg

In the last picture, there is a large screw with Red paint on it. Down and to the left is what I would think is a mixture screw. It has suction and if I close it off.....engine dies. Three pictures up, there is a piece of hose with a bolt in it. It has pressure behind it and used not have that bolt in it.

What does that mean? No idea. I just figure something with vacuum should have a hose connected or capped off. Otherwise, particles can get inside of it and it has to mess with the fuel/air mix in some way.