• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Horsepower numbers! wheel horsepower vs flywheel on an LS motor

pholmann

Okay folks, we were having some discussion and debate on some poor fellas sale thread about horsepower numbers on an LS 6.0. What can be squeezed out of an lq4, lq9, and a 5.3 while staying naturally aspirated and only doing bolt on upgrades and some light head work. By light head work I mean porting, valve job, head cut, etc. What is an accurate number on parasitic loss through the drivetrain? I was told that crawlers/bouncers have a parasitic loss of about 35-45% by Lane Culver who dyno tuned mine. I would love to see some real numbers (IE dyno sheets etc). My LQ9 made 305 to the wheels and it was professionally built by a race engine builder. The heads were cut very lightly and the block was cut just to true. It's a .030 over lq9 and I have a howards cam that is the equivalent to a gm hot cam. Let's have a good discussion.

There is a lot a variance on this from drive train to dynos for instance attitude was tuned one the same dyno as yours with 285hp and around 350 torque Put it on our normal dyno 183hp and 243torque. This was wheel on a mildly built 5.7

Now here is another for you beatdown was tuned at 580hp at the crank and 241hp w/247torque at the wheels th400 rockwells 6.0 403ci

Attitude got a striker motor built was tuned at 502hp at the crank and 232hp w/252 torque at the wheels th350 14bolts 5.7 383ci

NTIDWELL said:
Now here is another for you beatdown was tuned at 580hp at the crank and 241hp w/247torque at the wheels th400 rockwells 6.0 403ci

Attitude got a striker motor built was tuned at 502hp at the crank and 232hp w/252 torque at the wheels th350 14bolts 5.7 383ci
Beatdown has the woopow! :****:

This is a good thread. I love hearing people talk about their junkyard ls with a cam and tune that makes 500 horses. Everyone asks me all the time about mine. My motor is under 300 horses. It has a tune and the smallest cam possible over stock. I'm doing heads intake fuel injection cam here real soon and am shooting for 400. The problem is people don't know what 500 horses really feels like.

Well we were discussing this in some poor fellas for sale thread so I figured I would create another thread and see if Ricky will clean up ole boys sale thread. What do you think is an acceptable number for an lq4 with light head work, a cam, injectors, and a good tune?

NTIDWELL said:

Turbo 400 and rocks ate up some hp looks like

pholmann said:
Well we were discussing this in some poor fellas for sale thread so I figured I would create another thread and see if Ricky will clean up ole boys sale thread. What do you think is an acceptable number for an lq4 with light head work, a cam, injectors, and a good tune?
"Light" head work is kinda pointless on an ls IMHO if you are not gonna try to make alot of power. Those heads are capable of alot more than they make from the factory. That motor stock is under 350 so I would say breaking 375 with just a cam would be hard. If you tried to squeeze every single horsepower available and got away from drive ability you may get close to 400 but that seems like alot.

Hmm, I wonder how mine is rated.

Ski Boat motor 351w that was rated at 280hp. Was that at the crank or the prop? So how does that transfer to the wheels? :rolf:

I have seen dyno numbers change a lot on the same rig and same dyno just going from 42" tires to stock tires

pholmann said:

The LQ4 i started with made 205 to the tires with a similar build sheet. I'm looking for the dyno print out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Judy has a 5.3 with Zo6 cam, springs and a tune. Ben said she made 215hp to the rear wheels
th350, 203/205 doubler, 14bolt with 4.56 gears and 44'' TSL.

A little different. 2011 6.2 with Texas Speed VVT cam, th400 and 14 bolts. Had to Dyno on 265/75 tires. TS dynos for these cams said 525-540 crank from what I remember.

GNorton said:

A little different. 2011 6.2 with Texas Speed VVT cam, th400 and 14 bolts. Had to Dyno on 265/75 tires. TS dynos for these cams said 525-540 crank from what I remember.

The tires have a lot to do with that I believe

I would like to see some of those graphs through manual transmissions and in a car platform. Obviously the drivetrain loss of a crawler/bouncer is going to be way more than through a street/strip car.

In regards to the other thread we were discussing in, I agree, most would see 425-450whp with that setup I would think. In the setup I posted about, I was just commenting on what I witnessed on Speedsouth's dyno, to give insight to that OP engine. I did do some digging on ls1tech and yellowbullet and found quite a few guys discussing similar numbers, and more, obviously with pistons and more severe head work.

I would certainly agree that his engine would not make 470whp following a th400, 14bolt, and 43s....

The engine in the previous thread is also an lq4 also. Granted the power difference stock isn't a whole lot, but 1 whole point of compression increase does mean bigger numbers with aftermarket cam, intake, head work, etc. There is a big difference between 9.5:1 and 10.5:1.