• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Horsepower numbers! wheel horsepower vs flywheel on an LS motor

No, but there is no way to measure horsepower, it is a mathmatical formula that uses that exact rpm in the equation, so every graph you ever see that is a true reading will ALWAYS cross at 5,250. When a motor is being dynoed it is really only measuring torque and calculating horsepower if that makes better sense.

Horsepower = torque x RPM / 5252

Threrfore at 5252 rpm horsepower and torque are the same unless the dyno is using a correction factor that increases or decreases displayed horsepower.

jk101 said:
People do not realize you can make a dyno say what you want it too. :****:

That is very true....I know an asshole that use to make people think their car was making way more power than what it actually was.

d_daffron said:
Horsepower = torque x RPM / 5252

Threrfore at 5252 rpm horsepower and torque are the same unless the dyno is using a correction factor that increases or decreases displayed horsepower.

Wow, I never knew that. I looked at mine and I'll be damned. It crosses at that point.

MoparMan said:
That is very true....I know an asshole that use to make people think their car was making way more power than what it actually was.

I've heard people do that to the mopar guys to make em feel better about themselves. ;D

pholmann said:
Wow, I never knew that. I looked at mine and I'll be damned. It crosses at that point.

I thought you was the engine guru. :flipoff1:

How could you not know that ? :dunno:

Now I will give you something else to think about. My first truck was a 200$$. Long bed step side international truck, the motor would only turn 4,000 so how would you figure horsepower on that one. :dunno:

MoparMan said:

hey, don't talk about Patrick like that! he's my friend!

jkjkjkjk :rolf:

pholmann said:

I've heard people do that to the mopar guys to make em feel better about themselves. ;D
Lol. Mopar man sure asked for that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 5.3L question for you gurus.

My white 05 Z71 I bought a few months ago has the L33 HO 5.3 in it. I am pretty sure it has 3.42 gears in it because gearing seems "tall". If I were to load a new tune on it say from a Diablosport programmer like I had on my old 3/4 ton 6.0L, mainly to screw around with the shift points, would there be any issues since it has different heads, cam, compression ratio, etc than the standard LM7 5.3? I'm just curious how those preloaded tunes work on different engines. I bought that Diablosport Predator programmer I had on my old truck from BugEJ, it came off his ole lady's ride with 6.0L (Escalade or Denali, can't remember). But I am pretty sure I read that tuner also worked on 5.3 engines as well? I'm just curious how all that works, since there are so many variations of the 5.3 and 6.0's, that the same tune(s) can work for them all? May be a simple answer, I just don't know enough about it.

Re: Re: Horsepower numbers! wheel horsepower vs flywheel on an LS motor

TacomaJD said:
I have a 5.3L question for you gurus.

My white 05 Z71 I bought a few months ago has the L33 HO 5.3 in it. I am pretty sure it has 3.42 gears in it because gearing seems "tall". If I were to load a new tune on it say from a Diablosport programmer like I had on my old 3/4 ton 6.0L, mainly to screw around with the shift points, would there be any issues since it has different heads, cam, compression ratio, etc than the standard LM7 5.3? I'm just curious how those preloaded tunes work on different engines. I bought that Diablosport Predator programmer I had on my old truck from BugEJ, it came off his ole lady's ride with 6.0L (Escalade or Denali, can't remember). But I am pretty sure I read that tuner also worked on 5.3 engines as well? I'm just curious how all that works, since there are so many variations of the 5.3 and 6.0's, that the same tune(s) can work for them all? May be a simple answer, I just don't know enough about it.
You could use the canned tunes off the programmer and screw around with little variables if you know what your doing and bought a second allowance for another vehicle if this is second vehicle on tuner. Personally I got a tune from diablew tune aka lew and since I have 4.10 gears in my 5.3, I got him to compensate for the mods with a custom tune on my tuner. Unbelievable how much this truck woke up!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Waffle said:
00 LS1 TA, roughly 100k at time of dyno. Trickflow 515 top end kit (228/230 cam, 215 cnc heads) stock bottom end, Fast 90 intake, Holley 90 TB, 1.75" Kooks headers to true dual 3" Kooks, T56, Moser 9" (3.90, wavetrac) to 18" wheels and 26" 295 tires. Tuned by Tracy at Cincyspeed.

Tons of other goodies, considering selling it in the spring. Don't ask how much. Don't know yet.
So how much ya want for it?