• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Horsepower numbers! wheel horsepower vs flywheel on an LS motor

TacomaJD said:
I have a 5.3L question for you gurus.

My white 05 Z71 I bought a few months ago has the L33 HO 5.3 in it. I am pretty sure it has 3.42 gears in it because gearing seems "tall". If I were to load a new tune on it say from a Diablosport programmer like I had on my old 3/4 ton 6.0L, mainly to screw around with the shift points, would there be any issues since it has different heads, cam, compression ratio, etc than the standard LM7 5.3? I'm just curious how those preloaded tunes work on different engines. I bought that Diablosport Predator programmer I had on my old truck from BugEJ, it came off his ole lady's ride with 6.0L (Escalade or Denali, can't remember). But I am pretty sure I read that tuner also worked on 5.3 engines as well? I'm just curious how all that works, since there are so many variations of the 5.3 and 6.0's, that the same tune(s) can work for them all? May be a simple answer, I just don't know enough about it.

JD I don't think any changes a programmer would make would be drastic enough to make a difference between an l33 and a standard iron block 5.3. You should be good to go with one. It's mainly going to turn off the torque management bullshit.

My L92 with a TSP blower b cam, roller rockers, mild head work , 90lb/hr injectors and 10psi of boost(via LSA) threw down 758HP at the crank last year. I will hopefully have the buggy finished up this spring so I can get it on a chassis dyno. I'll be pushing that power through a 6L80, hero and down to a set of strange ultra 3rd members. I sold my 47's and I'm making an effort to get rid of as much rotational weight on the buggy as possible. We will see how it turns out.. I'll update this then