• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hot Shot drivers or info??

bradzuki

We are quoting a major job that will require our parts to be delivered to job sites. Sites are anywhere from northern Ohio (lake area) to eastern Wisconsin. Materials will be roughly 9K lbs and 35 ft in length. We are looking for a 40ft gooseneck and truck now but we are also looking for someone to haul for us because I don't want to drive to Wisconsin every week or two. Anyone know roughly what a trip like that would cost? I asked a guy that drive an 18 wheeler and he said owner/operators get $2 a mile. Same for John Doe in a Super Duty?
Really just need #s right now to turn quote in but we are looking for someone who might be interested in hauling pretty regularly.
Thanks.

i pull hot shot normally $2-$3 bucks a mile on regular freight. i have only been doing it about 8 months i have a 30ft goosneck if the material can overhang 5 foot or you can get it shorter im sure we can work somthing out

One of the jobs is 15 pieces of 10" channel at 35 ft each and 30 pieces of 1/2" plate (12"x18"). The other jobs are all 15 ft or under. May haul 2-3 jobs at a time. I don't know how deliveries will work yet as we are only quoting right now but have to include delivery fee in the quote. Only way I've ever delivered parts so far is UPS so this is new to me.

Make damn sure you specify unloading of materials is buyers responsibility in your quote. It's stupid I know, but I've seen it happen before too many times where shipper and buyer had products onsite, each thinking the other was going to unload it.

Ya my buddy does it and gets screwed over by people not giving him exact measurements, or him having to call and give a new quote

We are close to Knoxville, TN. Parts will be run from Chattanooga to Chicago area. I talked to the guy this morning and they are going to get a warehouse where all the parts will be delivered to and yes, they will be doing the unloading. I fudged the numbers a little bit and sent the quote in. Hope to hear something pretty soon.

DAC84 said:
i pull hot shot normally $2-$3 bucks a mile on regular freight. i have only been doing it about 8 months i have a 30ft goosneck if the material can overhang 5 foot or you can get it shorter im sure we can work somthing out

No offense because I really have no idea but how are you getting $3 a mile? Is that loaded only or what? If an 18 wheeler can do it for $2, I can put 6-7 jobs on him easy. A guy in a dually will only be able to pull maybe 3 jobs at once and gets better fuel mileage so why would I have to pay him more?

When we start the job we will have to pull the first few loads ourselves until we get paid a few times and get the bank account where it needs to be. Then we will start farming the runs out because I don't want to be on the road every week or two. In reality we could possibly need 2 drivers depending on how many jobs we have to deliver at one time. All runs will be loaded to Chicago, empty back.

bradzuki said:
We are close to Knoxville, TN. Parts will be run from Chattanooga to Chicago area. I talked to the guy this morning and they are going to get a warehouse where all the parts will be delivered to and yes, they will be doing the unloading. I fudged the numbers a little bit and sent the quote in. Hope to hear something pretty soon.

No offense because I really have no idea but how are you getting $3 a mile? Is that loaded only or what? If an 18 wheeler can do it for $2, I can put 6-7 jobs on him easy. A guy in a dually will only be able to pull maybe 3 jobs at once and gets better fuel mileage so why would I have to pay him more?

When we start the job we will have to pull the first few loads ourselves until we get paid a few times and get the bank account where it needs to be. Then we will start farming the runs out because I don't want to be on the road every week or two. In reality we could possibly need 2 drivers depending on how many jobs we have to deliver at one time. All runs will be loaded to Chicago, empty back.
ya thats loaded only with no fuel charge. i think the reason it pays more is cause we haul less we can only profit on a little but a semi can profit on a lot so they can pull three loads for 1.50 per mile per load to where where just making it on the one load.

If you can do full semi truck loads, (dictated by size or weight) then a semi will be cheaper.

If you need smaller loads delivered to specific locations, or on short notice, that's where the hotshot guys can make money.

When we ship machines that are LTL (less than load) domestically, we are kinda at the mercy of the trucking companies for scheduling so we don't get raped on freight...

DAC84 said:
ya thats loaded only with no fuel charge. i think the reason it pays more is cause we haul less we can only profit on a little but a semi can profit on a lot so they can pull three loads for 1.50 per mile per load to where where just making it on the one load.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. If it's loaded only then I'd go for that. I was thinking round trip and was like holy **** that's gonna cost me a fortune.

Next questions, anyone know of a 35' gooseneck for sale?
Anyone want to make a few trips from Chattanooga to Chicago?

bradzuki said:
Ok, thanks for clarifying that. If it's loaded only then I'd go for that. I was thinking round trip and was like holy **** that's gonna cost me a fortune.

Next questions, anyone know of a 35' gooseneck for sale?
Anyone want to make a few trips from Chattanooga to Chicago?
i can hook you up with my broker and see what he can do if you want

DAC84 said:
i can hook you up with my broker and see what he can do if you want

I'd appreciate that. Feel free to post the info or send to me in a PM.
Thank you, sir

Re:

I drive fuel tankers now and wreckers before that so I know how much DOT sucks but I imagine it's a lot worst if it's your own truck.

Who said anything about DOT? Anyone ever get pulled over by DOT going to an event? Personal truck and trailer hauling 15-20K lbs shouldn't have to worry about DOT, right?

Wrong!! If you are making money hauling stuff you must have DOT numbers and all the Bullshit that go's with them. :****:

Re:

Uncle Sam has to try and get a piece of everyone's pie. Never thought they bugged private guys too much. There's not as much money involved as there are with commercial.

Latest posts