• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how far off is a superchips programmer??

muchado

Just put a programmer on my 7.3L excursion and my mileage went up to 21.5mpg on the computer---I have 37's, stock gears and no speedometer correction so it read 10.4-13.5 depending whether I was in the city or highway... I guess I'll have to hand calculate it but damn it literally doubled on the computer :eek:

Matt O. said:
Programmers make the overheads WAY OFF

That's frustrating... I'll have to hand calculate it but I'd imagine it had to help a little----I'm not high---I know that it was NOT really getting over 20 laughing1 but damn what a tease I hate that ****.

Side note, anyone else have problems losing brake pads? Had my front one come out a few months back and lock up my wheel... now same thing happened on the rear---the pad that fell out had nothing on it, but the pad that's still in there has plenty of braking pad left... Does this mean my caliper is not floating properly?

The best thing you could do for the 7.3 is lose the superchip and call Jody at DP Tuner. Better mileage, better power and happier tranny.

Travis said:
The best thing you could do for the 7.3 is lose the superchip and call Jody at DP Tuner. Better mileage, better power and happier tranny.

That's what I read online but it was cheep and im a brokesumbich so something is better than nothing at this point.

Also know a guy that has a superchips and hand calculates over 19mpg with his 7.3 on 35's/3.73's/auto which is close to my setup--that's why when this one came up I jumped on it. May eventually switch out but I know I can get my $ back out so I figured it was worth a shot.

I guess I'll just have to save up the $$ for a full tank and hand calculate it laughing1

The truck wasn't downshifting up hills at 70, that alone made it worth while.

Why a full tank? You can do it on two fills. Make sure you fill to the same point, record miles. Drive & repeat.
Is your speedo on? Or you know how far off it actually is?

MUCHADO said:
That's what I read online but it was cheep and im a brokesumbich so something is better than nothing at this point.

You can have him flash your ECM for around $80. Or buy a chip from him with a econo setting and a badass setting for playing around. He is the man when it comes to 7.3 tuning. I had 153,000 hard miles on my stock trans, I did put a PI convertor in and BTS valvebody at 120,000, when I sold the truck and I'm convinced his tuning was the reason it lasted so long. Atfer the PI and valvebody, it would chirp the tires when it hit 2nd gear.

I'll keep that in mind Travis. Valvebody stock?or aftermarket? I want to make this truck last if I can since it seems nobody is buying diesels anymore and it's not worth **** to sell (doesnt help that it's pretty ragg'd out either).

194k miles baby thumb.gif laughing1

InDaShop said:
Why a full tank? You can do it on two fills. Make sure you fill to the same point, record miles. Drive & repeat.
Is your speedo on? Or you know how far off it actually is?
It's easy when you top it off, record how far you go, top off again.. I'm not gonna go burn a whole tank just to figure mileage. pepper.gif

Speedo is off, I don't have it calibrated.

Ricky and I did MPH with the GPS... It matched the calculation I made from 4lo.com's calculator... 17% off... 60 on speedo is 70.2 so if I wanna cruize at 70, I set it at 60, if I wanna do 82 I set it at 70 on my speedo.

the 10.4/city I was getting = 12.168
the 13+/hwy I could get consistently on the hwy = 15.21

MUCHADO said:
I'll keep that in mind Travis. Valvebody stock?or aftermarket? I want to make this truck last if I can since it seems nobody is buying diesels anymore and it's not worth **** to sell (doesnt help that it's pretty ragg'd out either).

I used a valvebody from Brian's Truck Shop. I would have loved to have a complete trans from him, but the valvebody, converter, and some programming adjustments from Jody, and it was night and day difference. Jody can do some cool things with the programming once you have the converter and valvebody. I abused my truck, it had 35s since it had 300 miles, and I never had a problem. I shouldn't have traded the damn thing in on this 6.0.

Travis said:
I used a valvebody from Brian's Truck Shop. I would have loved to have a complete trans from him, but the valvebody, converter, and some programming adjustments from Jody, and it was night and day difference. Jody can do some cool things with the programming once you have the converter and valvebody. I abused my truck, it had 35s since it had 300 miles, and I never had a problem. I shouldn't have traded the damn thing in on this 6.0.

Do you remember what kinda $$ the torque converter and valvebody was?

the stock read outs suck even on a stock truck. the only true way to get your mpg is to do it the old fashioned way. if you decide to get rid of that super chip, i can get you a smoke'n deal on a TS 6 position chip.

wizzo

The torque converter was pricey, around $900 if you shop around. Valvebody straight from BTS was $225. And don't forget a 6.0 tranny cooler while you are at it. It all sounds expensive, but it is well worth it. For well under $2000, programming included, you can have a stronger, more reliable truck.

Travis said:
The torque converter was pricey, around $900 if you shop around. Valvebody straight from BTS was $225. And don't forget a 6.0 tranny cooler while you are at it. It all sounds expensive, but it is well worth it. For well under $2000, programming included, you can have a stronger, more reliable truck.

Cool man thanks for the insight.. Looking to do little things here and there to improve economy, performance and reliability. What brand torque converter or was that the BTS model??

I put a DP tuner, AFE intake, and a Magnaflow exhaust in my 7.3 crew cab. I gained about 2-3 MPG while towing. thumb.gif
Not sure when I am empty b ecause I drive the Civic (35mpg). :flipoff1:

Beyer said:
I put a DP tuner, AFE intake, and a Magnaflow exhaust in my 7.3 crew cab. I gained about 2-3 MPG while towing. thumb.gif
Not sure when I am empty b ecause I drive the Civic (35mpg). :flipoff1:

You know that's really the ultimate plan for me is let this set hooked up to a trailer ready for road-trippin and daily a econo-box DD.

....but I gotta move outta my parent's house in the suburbs first laughing1 I've been pushing my driveway space as is with 2 trucks and a motorcycle. laughing1

MUCHADO said:
Cool man thanks for the insight.. Looking to do little things here and there to improve economy, performance and reliability. What brand torque converter or was that the BTS model??
No problem. The converter is from Precision Industries, same brand that BTS uses, but you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Latest posts