• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How long did your trailer brakes last?

Tankota

How many years did your trailer brakes last?

My electric brakes may be in need of replacement after 4.5 years. Just wondering if this was somewhat normal. I haven't pulled the bearings, hubs, and drums yet to figure it out yet but I suspect that is the problem.

PS Dual axle with 4 electric brakes. 7,000lb gvwr. 16ft. 1500lbs gvw.

i got 10 years out of mine. 20k mabey. they just started to not work well. replaced backing plates break shoes and magnets , work like new again.
one wheel bearing was a little pitted soi replaced them all, they were farly cheep

This is a loaded question... My dad has a trailer now for 25 years with the same brakes but he uses it like 5 times a year and he lives in a drier climate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

How many Miles do you think you have on the trailer and do you pull over the passes a lot?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Maybe try to set the sensitivity a little less and have the truck provide a little more braking or balance it out better so the trailer isn’t doing all the work.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like yours lasted a bit longer than I expected. I've got almost 5 years on the trailer. Probably 40-50 trips with pretty much a mtn pass on each trip. Had em :cool: smokin' a few times though.

Earlier this year I noticed the brakes wouldn't work until I got a little ways down the road...then it was a few miles...now not at all. Haven't had time to really work on it much. Fixed the ground at the trailer tongue but that was about it and it didn't fix the problem.

Will probably have to put the thing in the driveway at some point and spend a day checking wiring and brakes:booo:

Found one dave. Getting it this sat.:clappy: :clappy: I hope you greased the bearings in those 4.5 yrs. I change mine on all the trailers every yr.

If your brakes are properly dialed to the truck they should last several years. Many people try to stop there truck by there trailer brakes. It should be balanced between the two.

Southside brake and cluth on 56th and south tacoma way has all your needed parts

Last edited:
Been running the same brakes on my trailer for over 20K. I am getting ready to grease the bearings again and check them, I have just recently been noticing them pull a little so its time.

Go buy an (or build one) exhaust brake so you don't use your brakes so much. I have an account at six robbles if you need some brake parts. Just let know.:beer:

PORTER said:
Ya well ya know, thats what happens when you are Hardcore.:haha: :haha: :flipoff:

Or if you drive like Wheelinjp...tire smoke eventually means hot sticky tire which means traction...at least that's the excuse for doing smoke shows on the trail:clappy:

Barry, good to know about your account. If the weather gets a bit better I'll start working on the trailer...should be about june when I get to it :D :mad: