• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How long does your big foot keep ice?

Elliott

I just bought me a yeti finally and I'm starting to think I got a defuncted one. Dang thing is not any better than my other piece of poop ones, my question is how long is your coolers keeping ice??

Pre chill
Use block ice in the bottom
Keep the drain cracked. Sloshy water thaws the rest of your ice faster

If I know I'll be starting with a hot cooler, I'll throw 2 frozen orange juice jugs in it the night before, or at least while I'm getting the rest of my stuff together.

I freeze large plastic casserole dishes full of water to make large flat block ice, throw one or 2 of those in the bottom.

I've got a 45qt that is mounted in my tacoma dd/fishing truck, I put ice in it about once a week or so.
Usually drink 3-4 12 packs of beer/water/cokes out of it a week between a few people.

Since I've been using it "properly" I've been a lot more impressed with it.

Never use store bought ice if you can help it

zukimaster said:
I got me one of those 5 day igloo's, gave around 40 bucks for it! it does a god job for the money!

Those work good too, especially after you replace the stock hinges with stainless cabinet hinges, and add stainless window sash locks to the front so the lid will stay shut when your 'wheelin. And replace the stock side handles with stainless drawer pull handles, bolted through with sandwich plates on the inside so you can strap it down.

Only reason I'm using a yeti instead of my "custom" igloo is because it was a Christmas present. I still use the modded igloo for a second cooler if we're going on a multiple day trip.

Looks like igloo came out with a tougher cooler (with all the upgrades of my modded cooler), but not super overkill like a yeti/orca/etc
http://www.rei.com/product/866635/igloo-super-tough-stx-54-sportsman-cooler-54-qt/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-8666350001&mr:trackingCode=F00DF62F-6C58-E311-90E9-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=t&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=52774011400&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=70719891040&msid=eUyU7zcs_dt%7Cpcrid%7C52774011400%7C

TBItoy said:
Pre chill
Use block ice in the bottom
Keep the drain cracked. Sloshy water thaws the rest of your ice faster

I freeze large plastic casserole dishes full of water to make large flat block ice, throw one or 2 of those in the bottom.

I've got a 45qt that is mounted in my tacoma dd/fishing truck, I put ice in it about once a week or so.
Usually drink 3-4 12 packs of beer/water/cokes out of it a week between a few people.

Since I've been using it "properly" I've been a lot more impressed with it.

Never use store bought ice if you can help it

This info is spot on. If you start with a hot cooler and throw a bag of ice in it, it will probably melt faster than a cheapo cooler. Insulation holds heat in just as well as it holds cold in. I always bring mine inside the house the night before I want to use it and have notoced even that makes a difference.

Pre cool is key and don't fan the lid we got 3 of them one on the buggy it will keep ice for 2-3 days setting in my hot garage with doors closed I would not carry one of them for it if I had too they are too heavy they need to put wheels on them in my opinion

Ive had my yeti in 90+ degree heat camping for over 5 days.. I was really impressed. I noticed with the yeti that if you let all the water out as it thaws that my ice doesn't last as long. I def agree with pre chilling and keeping it in the house the night before use.

If I just use mine for a day or 2 ill leave it in the garage full of ice/water/beverages all week and can usually go from one weekend to the next with a chilled adult beverage thumb.gif :drinkers:

Just my 2c

I've had mine full of ice and water for a week, drained all the water out yesterday at lunch, threw a bag of ice and 9 coronas that were still cold in it and shut the lid, at 6 tonight all I had left was cold water no ice at all and this was sitting in my shop not out side. I just threw 2 bags of ice in it 6 cold coronas and a bunch of rock salt in it, guess I'm going to try it again before I call them about it for suggestions. We took it to Florida last week and in the 9 days I've had it I've had to re-ice it 3 times not counting today, and that was just sitting on a balcony not on a beach. I have to admit that I really had these things built up in my head probably more than I should have, no I'm just kinda disappointed.

Bag ice and not letting the water drain off are part of the problem

What size cooler is it?

If the cooler is not at least 3/4 full, you are letting a bunch of warm air in every time you open the lid...

I got the roadie , mainly because of the handle on it. And that's what I thought about the water also, yeti says to not drain the water tho. The solid ice in the bottom is a very good idea that I'm going to have to try. And also when you hand tighten my plug it seeps water, is that normal?

Elliott said:
I got the roadie , mainly because of the handle on it. And that's what I thought about the water also, yeti says to not drain the water tho. The solid ice in the bottom is a very good idea that I'm going to have to try. And also when you hand tighten my plug it seeps water, is that normal?

I don't drain the water. After a while, the water can actually turn into slush. It's pretty cool.

I don't think the plug should drip. I've heard of it happening. They should replace for free

Elliott said:

Hmmm. I just looked at the PDF online, seems they recommend to not drain the water now... I swear I remembered the literature that came with mine saying to drain the water. Anyway, I've found when using block ice, that the water seems to make it melt faster. Which makes sense to me, as water will transfer energy more efficiently than air, and of course, water is warmer than ice lol.

Also, everyone I know that has a roadie was underwhelmed. I suspect it's because of intended use (carry around cooler) and it doesn't really have the ice capacity or thermal capacity to let it really make a noticeable difference.

I've thought about picking up a used roadie for a food cooler for multiple day camping trips. I'd load it with frozen meats and only take out what I planned to cook for the next meal in time to thaw.

Apparently, throwing some dry ice in them makes it nuts. As on, everything in the cooler will freeze unless you put a layer of plastic or something between the dry ice and the food. I've always wanted to try it out. Their use to be somewhere local that sold it, but I can't remember where now. I know some walmarts sell it. Crazy.

I've had better luck keeping the water in mine.

We had a fish fry with two kegs last summer one of the barrels had a drain in the bottom an we had to keep adding ice all day where the barrel without a drain stayed cold

ibrokeit said:
Apparently, throwing some dry ice in them makes it nuts. As on, everything in the cooler will freeze unless you put a layer of plastic or something between the dry ice and the food. I've always wanted to try it out. Their use to be somewhere local that sold it, but I can't remember where now. I know some walmarts sell it. Crazy.

I'd imagine, I just looked up the surface temp of dry ice... -109 F

I'm gonna try keeping the water in mine next time I load it up...

I have a yeti 32oz cup and its awesome, I can put my beer on ice (I know it sounds strange) but when the ice don't melt in 100* FL summer its an awesome way to keep every gulp ice cold :****:

Kind of like the casserole dish idea, keep you a 2 liter bottle/1 gallon or 1/2 gallon milk jug fill of water in the freezer. Throw it in the cooler when you spin out. Put it back in the freezer when you come home.

ibrokeit said:
Kind of like the casserole dish idea, keep you a 2 liter bottle/1 gallon or 1/2 gallon milk jug fill of water in the freezer. Throw it in the cooler when you spin out. Put it back in the freezer when you come home.

If I'm only packing one cooler for a camping trip, I line the bottom with frozen bottled water, then frozen meats, then beer, then pack with crushed up ice from the house freezer, then sandwich meats/cheese in a plastic container on top.

Alright I just checked my cooler from where it has been sitting all night. Filled it up to the top last night at 9:30 at least 1 bag is already melted if not more????????

kmcminn said:
My roadie sucks, but I have never tried solid block ice.

Compared to my 75 mine does also. Will keep ice for the day but my 75 will last a week if kept in shade