• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How much engine tilt is too much?

bobbed_84_toy

ALWAY$ BROKE
How far can I safely lean my engine back? Haven't actually put a angle finder on it yet, but this looks like it's 10-15 degrees back. Trying to get the front driveshaft under the clutch fork.

138.jpg

yeah but figure alot of this sport is uphill so it might have oil pressure on flat ground, but will it have it on an incline?

Dry sump with a really big tank!:redneck:

Really I would go with as close to stock as you can:awesomework: If you question the angle at least add an accumulator.

don't remember the name of buggy but seen a 502 set at a slight angle of center to keep it low on rocks

I would worry more about u-joint binding the more you angle down the more the input shaft on the tcase points upward. But really it doesn't look like you currently have that issue (yet)

Shot in the dark here, but what about narrowing that side of axle to offset the input on the diff?

Or you could mount the powertrain angled (not strait fore and aft) to better clear driveline?

Thats not enough tilt that I'd start to worry about oiling. If anything I'd either switch to a two piece dront shaft to go around the clutch fork or switch to internal slave hedraulic.

Thats not enough tilt that I'd start to worry about oiling. If anything I'd either switch to a two piece dront shaft to go around the clutch fork or switch to internal slave hedraulic.

I've been thinking about a two piece drive shaft. Its going to be about 5 feet long anyways

Edit: Tell me more about this internal slave. Are they available for NP435's?

Last edited:
Dry sump with a really big tank!:redneck:

Really I would go with as close to stock as you can:awesomework: If you question the angle at least add an accumulator.

I would love to go dry sump :bling:

I do have an accumulator laying around for it.

I would worry more about u-joint binding the more you angle down the more the input shaft on the tcase points upward. But really it doesn't look like you currently have that issue (yet)

Not too worried about the u-joint binding. The front driveshaft is going to be long.

Shot in the dark here, but what about narrowing that side of axle to offset the input on the diff?

Or you could mount the powertrain angled (not strait fore and aft) to better clear driveline?

I could narrow the short side, but I'd rather have an off the shelf replacement shaft available. I don't know if you could angle it enough to make much of a difference. I'm going to have to do some research on an internal slave setup. Then I could set it up considerably lower

I could narrow the short side, but I'd rather have an off the shelf replacement shaft available. I don't know if you could angle it enough to make much of a difference. I'm going to have to do some research on an internal slave setup. Then I could set it up considerably lower

Yes, yes you can narrow the short side "and" use an off the shelf short shaft. Put two stubs together and get a really short side:awesomework:

Wait the side that needs narrowed is the short side:eeek: right?

I've been thinking about a two piece drive shaft. Its going to be about 5 feet long anyways

Edit: Tell me more about this internal slave. Are they available for NP435's?

my buddy used an internal slave on his 435 but had to do a little machining on the input housing...no big deal

After a little research, looks like it's a simple swap to internal slave on these things. Rotated the engine back down to just a few degrees of tilt, and threw some tube at it yesterday.

159.jpg

156.jpg

I think the rule of thumb is not to exceed 6-8 degree and 4 degrees being the sweet spot. I think the number varies depending on who you talk to. I set my big block up at 4 degrees although it looks like you have some issues trying to do that with those Rocks.

Latest posts