• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how much tube in your average buggie

85b2man

so i'm thinking about saving up all this next summer and just building a buggie but i'm woundering how many feet of tube i should be looking at now since i have heard the price of 1 3/4 .120 wall dom is around 9 dollars a foot :mad: i think i'm gonna go with hrew lol thought about schd 40 but idk i know i dont need dom because i'm not gonnna drop off index wall here so i mean you bend dom you bend hrew you still have to replace it lol so one bends a lil easier it means i can change up the cage every now and then lol :

generally 200'some as low as 130' but that was a moon buggy and as much as 250' in some cars I have seen built where the builder has not a clue of what he is doing but adds in tube because he wants to make it look cool. Also do not forget to add a lot of extra bracing and speed holes where they are completly usless too. :awesomework:

generally 200'some as low as 130' but that was a moon buggy and as much as 250' in some cars I have seen built where the builder has not a clue of what he is doing but adds in tube because he wants to make it look cool. Also do not forget to add a lot of extra bracing and speed holes where they are completly usless too. :awesomework:

yes i've always wanted to make a rig with completely useless speed holes i envision a big block of cheese
l_2981209a1e444416b394e58ed928aeab.jpg
:haha:

I don't know where you are getting your prices, but $9 a foot is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! Price around, it should be almost half of that. Also, maybe consider using 1.5" or 2" tubing. Both are more common in manufacturing, so that means those sizes are more readily available, and generally cost less.

As far as using DOM versus HREW, we have used both. The main difference that we noticed, is that the HREW dents easier. If you can, maybe get some of each. Use the DOM for exterior tubes that will likely be hitting rocks, and use HREW on interior tubes. However, I don't think the cost difference is going to break the bank, and you might just want to use all DOM.

Listen to the advice of jason C and trevor--they are your best info on building tube thing a ma bobs........

For a long lasting chassis---DOM in the hit zones as stated--HREW can't take the punishment near as well as DOM.....

And some advice--plan on alot of tossed tube if you plan on doing your own chassis--and plan on wanting to re-do it again after a season unless you REALLY do your homework.