• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How wide are you

I'm have a rock crawler, I enjoy trail riding. I also have a "low-budget" 4x4, I enjoy climbing what rocks I can with it. I like muddy trails, tight trails, wide trails, hard trails, easy trails, I enjoy beautiful scenic trails and trails that go nowhere.

If a bike rider stated "I have a CJ-5 and a KMLMNOP 250.......I know what a 4x4 guy wants." Would you agree he speaks for the 4x4 user masses?

One thing I will agree.......seperation (if at all possible) of users is NOT a bad thing. We should all have our OWN space to recreate. Unfortunately, we're not writting a Christmas wish list to give to Mom & Dad.......this is real life, with REAL compromise.

As far as comprises the bike guys would be giving up a lot if all trails were made for 4x4's...sure they can still use them being the only difference between that and every trail being a bike trail which a 4x4 wouldn't fit on.

I believe that if you all were to see the map Charlie will be proposing to the DNR trail designer; things would be more clear and less paranoid disagreements, there would be.

Stop staring at this "shared trails" subject through your thick-coke-bottle-glasses and start viewing the entire pict-o-romma.

Werd to da bird.:awesomework:

Not to sound like an ass, but I would not consider a 4x4 trail a multi-user trail.

The definition of multi-user trail is one that multiple users can enjoy, not just use.

Motorcycles, hikers, mountain bikers, and horse rider can all enjoy a single track trail. These users rarely enjoy a 4x4 trail, and usually you only find them using one in order to access single track trail.

Again, I am not trying to be an ass, but providing perspective from the rest of the users.

A criteria for the success of reiter is proper trail designation and self government to keep users on only the trails that have been designated for their use. Use has to be separated. That is, single track (bikers, MTB, hikers, horse), double track (quads, MTB, bikers), and 4x4.

Last edited:
Stop staring at this "shared trails" subject through your thick-coke-bottle-glasses and start viewing the entire pict-o-romma.

Who has a "pict o romma" to view? All of the witheld information and deciet has lost the trust of the common user....If there ever were any trust.

Im happy to say ive met the golden 85 inch wide rule. Actually i may be 84 but i know im under 85. However, The V-8 rule might screw me.

Interesting note, but I would argue that SOME SORT of vehicle size restrictions be put in place. Say 9 feet wide, 30 feet long etc. If you leave it completely blank, where do you draw the line? (off road semi-trucks anyone!! :D)

I'd say take the width of your standard H1 Hummer/HMMV as a starting point. About the largest, "standard" 4x4 that a person would reasonably buy and/or own. With possible few ex-military exceptions, anything larger than that would have been purpose built, and IMO could be built to fit in some generous guide lines. SOME sort of restriction should be in place, but that restriction should be based on the typical wheeling rig of today and the near future.

As for getting rid of the trees.... I like rocks just as much as anyone, but come-on, the whole POINT of PNW wheeling is trees, root balls, tight/technical trails, rock, dirt and yes, even mud.

A criteria for the success of reiter is proper trail designation and self government to keep users on only the trails that have been designated for their use. Use has to be separated. That is, single track (bikers, MTB, hikers, horse), double track (quads, MTB, bikers), and 4x4.

Well from our point of view look at how many miles of single track trails there are in the northwest compared to 4x4 trails. At Tahuya it is 100:8. You guys have the whole Capital Forest too, how many single track trails are out there? Every year there are fewer places for us to go.

this may take a few. THe main reason that I haven't was to keep people off of them. I reallt think this deservs another thread for that info.

Who has a "pict o romma" to view? All of the witheld information and deciet has lost the trust of the common user....If there ever were any trust.

I have only heard grandular stories of this masterpiece:redneck:It has eluded my grasp as of yet.

Honestly, I LOVE the now tossed around idea of giving Sultan Basin back to 2X2's and leaving Reiter for the 4X4's. But again, Christmas wish list.......

Speaking as a bike guy that primarally rides at Reiter, I would be happy keeping the existing single track trails single track, and the existing 4x4 areas open to y'all. What frusterates us is a section of trail that is built as single track, and sometimes posted "bike only", getting slowly widened into a 4x4 trail. Sorry, but 4x4 trails aren't fun to ride, and won't ever BE fun to ride for a skilled trail rider.

Wheather you like it or not, motorcycle-only single track has MUCH less impact, is MUCH more recoverable (some of the single track out at Tahuya will dissapear completly if the vegitation isn't removed by hand every few years), and easier to build. How much does it take to make bridge for a bike vs. 4x4? I want 4x4s to have fun places to play, but the facts are that 4x4 trails are harder on the environment and are of the most limited FUN (which is what this is all about right?). Saying "I want everything to be mixed use" can be viewed as saying "If I can't get what I want, I don't want anyone to play". Everyone should have a place to play that is fun for them, and there should be some kind of plan to keep it that way.

Speaking as a bike guy that primarally rides at Reiter, I would be happy keeping the existing single track trails single track, and the existing 4x4 areas open to y'all. What frusterates us is a section of trail that is built as single track, and sometimes posted "bike only", getting slowly widened into a 4x4 trail. Sorry, but 4x4 trails aren't fun to ride, and won't ever BE fun to ride for a skilled trail rider.

Wheather you like it or not, motorcycle-only single track has MUCH less impact, is MUCH more recoverable (some of the single track out at Tahuya will dissapear completly if the vegitation isn't removed by hand every few years), and easier to build. How much does it take to make bridge for a bike vs. 4x4? I want 4x4s to have fun places to play, but the facts are that 4x4 trails are harder on the environment and are of the most limited FUN (which is what this is all about right?). Saying "I want everything to be mixed use" can be viewed as saying "If I can't get what I want, I don't want anyone to play". Everyone should have a place to play that is fun for them, and there should be some kind of plan to keep it that way.

I completely agree with you, BUT lets keep the enviromental talk to a Down Low. We need to push this word completely away from our sports. It just gives us all bad publicity.