• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HudonCustoms gets new shop!

Anchor points in the floor for pulling things back into place? Or pulling things into the shop? My electrician also had me put conduit in the floor cause it is quicker to pull wire to the other side and a shorter distance than going around or up and over.

This is a good idea... thanks. I will be pooring the slab at a later date.

OHHMMMM SOME STEAM WALLS

I built one like ur demensions 2 yrs ago took about $23k after all the tree/stump removal renting machinery put cathiedral trusses in just for a feature 2 post lift with 6sak concrete in the center were they would go had to do everything up to tacoma code which they wanted the garage looking like the house got rid of 15 yrds of dirt the problem was this land was all arsenic soil so that was fun head ach from the smelter .work progressive can't wait to see it done:awesomework:

Don't forget the 4" pipe to go under the footing to drain water out( assuming you have a way of releasing the water somewhere, and 4" sleeve through the wall for sewer and a 2" sleeve for water in and another 2" sleeve for hot water out, to go to the outside hose bib to wash stuff off in the wither (warm is nice). I just built my shop last summer, so I am just rambling on. Stuff just comes to mind. I had 24" stem walls and a 8" x 16" footing. Can't tell in the picture of the forms, but leave the rebar long where the floor will be poured over the the footing where the doors are. You can bend them over and they will go into the floor to tie it all together. I have no experience at building, these are things that people told me to do when i built my house and shop last summer. I did my own dig (own excavator), and did my own foundation (company I work for had the forms for free) I have never been around anything like it, so it was a learning experience. Watch everything they do because some day you will build one again, but bigger!! - Wow look at me blah blah blah!!!

Last edited:
It can be done way cheaper than most think. You dont need the fancy controls with all the bells and whistles. You could even go single zone relay with one 1 pump ran off of a waterheater and have DHW in your shop. Let me know if your seriously considering it.

I wish I had floor heat. :booo: Thanks for the info. I'll keep you in mind When/if I build another.

As previously mentioned, anchor points in the floor would be a good addition. You can use them to strap a car down for your dyno. :redneck:

I am not going to put a shitter in it but I will have hot and cold water inside and outside for a sink and a hose bib. The walls are 14' tall so there will be no issue with the lift and trolly hoist system. I had no plans on doing a heated floor so I think I am just going to tough it out with a wood stove and electric heater. It will have piped air all the way around, HVAC for welding and plasma table, plenty of tall racks to store **** off the floor. I have to think LEAN so I dont get crowded out of 24x36. I am also pooring a 10x20 slab out front of the doors. It will be cool.

got to love that low water table in silvana. I cant even rember how many times that bar has been rebuilt.

12' outa be plenty I dont see him pullin an RV in there:redneck: I just recently built my shop on my property. Nice for overhead but terrible for the honeydos'.... :haha: Congrats on the new shop:awesomework:

Concrete is being poorer right now for just the foundation. All forming and concrete work is being done by Northern Foundation.

After the concrete is done it's all on me to get it done.

You can say that again....you've seen my shop--it's 24x36, 15ft to the truss....You run outta room QUICK!!!:haha:

Thats the exact size my shop is. I never have enough room. Except I think I have 13 or 14 feet to the trusses. Works fine with w lift tho. Even with a loft and a 12x36 carport down one side it still fills up fast.

I may go 10x10 doors, its plenty big to even get my trailer in there and it will save me a little money.
Go bigger
I would do the 12 foot door ,looks good at this rate you should have it built by next weekend
I have a 12 x12 rollup door. It still gets jammed with trailers and crap.

I got my door with a commercial belt drive opener for $100 out of the Buy&Sell.
It didnt have rollers or hinges but that **** was cheap.

long story...

I just talked with my engineer, about 3 months ago I had him draw up a 24x36 shop with 12' walls.. I talked to a few guys and they said go with 14' walls. The problem was by this time I already had the permits submitted to the county. This should be an easy fix to just make a revision to the drawing and I should be good right? Wrong.

Engineering says that if I jump from 12' to 14' I would have to make the footing bigger in the concrete, have a larger shear walls, more hold down straps, larger headers and king studs... blah blah blah... so It looks like I am stuck with 12' walls and 10' doors for this shop.

I know it does not sound like much to some of you guys but I am curently working in one end of a horse barn with no doors, no heat, fawked up wet concrete floor that is not level at the size of 12x24. I am excited!!

Everybody told me to plumb in a wood stove too.

But at the old shop I got tired of the stove taking up floor space, people always leave their garbage on top of the stove (cuz its always clean on there) so ya always gotta clean it off before stating a fire. Then ya always got a woody splintery mess of chips and sawdust on the floor. The stove always seemed to be the heart of the mess.

No More.

When we demoed the old trailer house I kept the old furnace. It was electric and blows down into the floor. I just built a shelf up high in the corner above the electric panel (to save on wiring length/cost) and now I just turn the heat on and point the duct where ever I want and never have wood/mess on the floor and I have no floor space lost to a stove.

this is the first shop I have ever used...about to use anyway that was not heated by wood...I LOVE wood heat

But I picked up a Lenex 110,000 furnace off craigslist for this garage, I like it until I see the next gas bill