• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hydralic rams

sarg said:
fifth stud arps are not going to help you if you have a hydralic ram that is got more travel than your steering does. ask anybody that wheels with me and Ben we are not easy on our toy front ends but we have took the time to set them up right:;

Well duh :; Even 60 stuff will break if your not setting your junk up right. I am refering to something thats setup properly.

crash said:
Well duh :; Even 60 stuff will break if your not setting your junk up right. I am refering to something thats setup properly.
Even setup right Toy will still get the "Boom":flipoff:

I've got a 8" ram with a 1 1/4" stop I believe and I'm using the ram as my stops both directions. Haven't had any problems with studs coming lose either. The ram is mounted to the tie rod and the pumpkin part of the housing.

Toyotanut said:
I've got a 8" ram with a 1 1/4" stop I believe and I'm using the ram as my stops both directions. Haven't had any problems with studs coming lose either. The ram is mounted to the tie rod and the pumpkin part of the housing.

Yours is also setup properly :;

Steve's is set up properly. It does not overthrow the knuckles.

ISH wheeled and competed that rig for a couple of years without ANY problems what so ever. Steve got his hands on it and kept breaking ctms and warn shafts. When the shafts broke they took out the clutch and hold out ring in the detroit. Steve drives easier now and does not brake those parts any more, but keeps going through steering studs.

Last edited:
Trevor said:
Steve's is set up properly. It does not overthrow the knuckles.

Tell that kid to do the 5th stud and it will be just fine. I have yet to see one fail with it done that way....

I run a 8" ram (assist) but have it limited to about 5.75 on my well polished turd. I am limited by the front springs :mad: . I have broke off a steering stop on the knuckles, but otherwise its all good. I run the ARP studs and check them every day.

I think Steve is breaking stuff because the bolts/ studs are coming loose. 9 times out of 10 or more that's what causes the failure.

Binder said:
I think Steve is breaking stuff because the bolts/ studs are coming loose. 9 times out of 10 or more that's what causes the failure.

Which the 5th stud typically cures

crash said:
Which the 5th stud typically cures

If he's breaking all 4 stud's every trip out then I'm sure being loose isn't the problem because he is replacing and tightening every trip, he tack's all the bolt head's as well. also if he's breaking off all 4 every trip, what are 5 stud's gonna do??? he'll just break off all 5 every other trip. What I am getting at is that the four bolt's are so close together and to add the 5th there isn't the room to move it out enough to cut down on the leverage against the bolt's. The problem is design flaw, the answer isn't adding metal.

WTF do I know though:wtf: I'm probably just starting a pissing match anyway's.....sorry

darius said:
WTF do I know though:wtf: I'm probably just starting a pissing match anyway's.....sorry

your a smart one --almost :;

Have you even sat there and thought as to why they might be popping? Maybe the fact that when you turn you also try to rotate the arm/stud. A good way to explain it is to take a bar and mount the bar with 2 studs like 4" apart. try to turn the bar--it trys to twist a hair. Now add another stud say 4" apart from both studs--triangle so to speak--when you add the 5th stud you creat the same thing...

But weather you wanna believe me or not--thats up to you....

crash said:
your a smart one --almost :;

Have you even sat there and thought as to why they might be popping? Maybe the fact that when you turn you also try to rotate the arm/stud. A good way to explain it is to take a bar and mount the bar with 2 studs like 4" apart. try to turn the bar--it trys to twist a hair. Now add another stud say 4" apart from both studs--triangle so to speak--when you add the 5th stud you creat the same thing...

But weather you wanna believe me or not--thats up to you....

I do believe you, and you're not understanding that I am saying the same thing. all 4 stud's are so close together, It would add strength to add another say 2 or 3 inches out from the other stud's, but the top of the knuckle is so small you will be welding to a cast steering arm or off the back to provide a spot for that 5th bolt and that will not be strong. I understand anything help's, but in the individual's situation we origionally started this conversation about...... he break's the 4 so easily, I'm not convinced some 5th bolt would fix his problem.

You're a pretty smart one too...... Almost as sharp as myself :FLIPOFF:

I'm sure you know this but the strength in a joint like this is through the friction of the steering arm to the knuckle. The bolts just keep them tight together. When the bolts come loose then their in sheer. Make sure and use grade 8 bolts/ studs. Anyways the point I'm getting at, is Steve thoroughly cleaning between the arm and knuckle when he torques them? He is torquing them with a torque wrench right? If there's grease in between it's not going to last. Also is the top of the knuckle all chewed up or distorted? Might want to have it machined flat again.

You fawkers are both way smarter than me anyways. In the end it's just Toy stuff and destined to break.:stirpot:

Binder said:
I'm sure you know this but the strength in a joint like this is through the friction of the steering arm to the knuckle. The bolts just keep them tight together. When the bolts come loose then their in sheer. Make sure and use grade 8 bolts/ studs. Anyways the point I'm getting at, is Steve thoroughly cleaning between the arm and knuckle when he torques them? He is torquing them with a torque wrench right? If there's grease in between it's not going to last. Also is the top of the knuckle all chewed up or distorted? Might want to have it machined flat again.

You fawkers are both way smarter than me anyways. In the end it's just Toy stuff and destined to break.:stirpot:

I'm sure you're half way right, not convinced it's sheerly friction making them strong, If I could torque a 3/8 bolt to that I'm sure it would still break sooner, but what do I know, you're twice as OLD, so you must know twice as much:flipoff:

darius said:
what do I know, you're twice as OLD, so you must know twice as much

Your starting to fugure it out.....................Combine that with a "yes sir, master sir" every now and then and you'll have it.:haha: