• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hydralic rams

outhouse

I have a toy front that im going to do full hydro on it. i was wondering what size ram i should use. ive been told to use the 8in ram then ive been told to use the 6in ram, the 6in ram sounds good but i am looking to confim it.

outhouse said:
I have a toy front that im going to do full hydro on it. i was wondering what size ram i should use. ive been told to use the 8in ram then ive been told to use the 6in ram, the 6in ram sounds good but i am looking to confim it.

You could potentially use a 2x6 or a 2x8. Depends on how and where you mount it for the amount of stroke you will need.

Most people just use the 2x8

Jobless said:
You could potentially use a 2x6 or a 2x8. Depends on how and where you mount it for the amount of stroke you will need.

Most people just use the 2x8

As brad said it depends on how you mount it. a 6" is very close but I would go with an 8" so it doesn't limit your options for mounting..

Mine's 8, and 6 would have been pushing it if not too short.

Measure the travel you'll need, simple as that.

CrustyJeep said:
Mine's 8, and 6 would have been pushing it if not too short.

Measure the travel you'll need, simple as that.

True that, and if you need a 7.25 inch stroke just limit a 8 incher.

Bunk said:
True that, and if you need a 7.25 inch stroke just limit a 8 incher.

I agree, go with the 8, Better to have to much than not enough, you can always limit it down.

I have a 6 inch and I use about 5-1/2 inchs its mounted to my highsteer
and my steering stops are turned all the way in it was alot easier to mount a 6 inch ram on my little toyota axel than an 8inch one. If I had bought a nice double ended ram then I would have got an 8inch. :D

darius said:
Hey sarge do you have trouble with breaking off high steer stud's?

Nope, I have arp upper studs and my lowers are lock tighted, also my knuckles stop when my ram stops. Im actually really surprised how well the little axel has held up but there is 60 in the works:;

My buddy Steve has ISH's old green toyota buggy, his ram is ratio'd the same as the front end travel's, the 2x8 single ended ram has broken off arp's and grade 8 bolt's, that or he's egging out his knuckle holes. Just wondering if you fought the problem too.

darius said:
My buddy Steve has ISH's old green toyota buggy, his ram is ratio'd the same as the front end travel's, the 2x8 single ended ram has broken off arp's and grade 8 bolt's, that or he's egging out his knuckle holes. Just wondering if you fought the problem too.

the first couple times I took it out I did the same thing because my ram had more travel than my steering , but once I sat down and set it up right I havent had a problem in a year:redneck:

darius said:

Look how steve drives though....

when i was still polishing the turd i had a 6" ram limited to around 5.5" with an internal stop, i just took the end of the ram off and put a aluminum washer i machined on a lathe over the rod end of the ram and put it back together. Worked good. This was from the top of the diff to the tie rod.

crash said:
Look how steve drives though....

When he drove like an ass he never had steering issues, now that he doesn't destroy front end part's he's breaking off steering arm's. it's not like a 2x8 ag ram is a powerhouse, wasn't sure if he was the only person with the issue.

darius said:
When he drove like an ass he never had steering issues, now that he doesn't destroy front end part's he's breaking off steering arm's. it's not like a 2x8 ag ram is a powerhouse, wasn't sure if he was the only person with the issue.

hAS he done the 5th stud yet? (I imagine he hasn't).

I dunno about that--I remember having to go on a rescue mission a couple times :;

darius said:
But doesnt he run Toy stuff. If so enough said.

crash said:
hAS he done the 5th stud yet? (I imagine he hasn't).

I dunno about that--I remember having to go on a rescue mission a couple times :;

fifth stud arps are not going to help you if you have a hydralic ram that is got more travel than your steering does. ask anybody that wheels with me and Ben we are not easy on our toy front ends but we have took the time to set them up right:;

PORTER said:
But doesnt he run Toy stuff. If so enough said.

It wouldnt be that hard to brake a 60 if you had a 10 inch ram on it and you were expecting the steering stops to stop your ram from over exstending your steeering:redneck: