• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hydro assist, which ram?

nevada

looking up the parts for the hydro asssit. ive read through alot of posts on this, but im not sure which ram to use.

im looking at this one: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008111600204739&item=9-7258-6&catname=hydraulic
with heim style eyelets.

or this one: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008111600204739&item=9-4410-06&catname=hydraulic
with solid eyes.

wondering if the swivel eyes would wear over time. and id have to replace the whole RAM.
but also thinking the swivel eye is almost needed. unless i somehow manage to get the ram mounted EXACTLY inline with the tierod.

and 1.5x6" enough? or 1 x8"?

oh, and what lines/connections do i need for the top ram? its listed as SAE #6, but...the hoses are all listed 1/4", 3/8" 1/2" etc etc. what does #6 equate to?
so what are you using, and how is it holding up, and working?

thanks
nevada

Last edited:
We need to know what steering setup you have and what kind of rig you are putting it on to tell you the stroke you need. Also take it from some onr that learned the hard way you are better off with a PSC ram. It's not that much more money and it's worth it.

Use the first one it's the better of the two. I run a clevis setup and i have no issues with wear so in all reality either would work. But the heim mount is easier to fab around.

We need to know what steering setup you have and what kind of rig you are putting it on to tell you the stroke you need. Also take it from some onr that learned the hard way you are better off with a PSC ram. It's not that much more money and it's worth it.
85 yota, with sky hi-steer crossover.
PSC ram? what is that? a brand? link?

Use the first one it's the better of the two. I run a clevis setup and i have no issues with wear so in all reality either would work. But the heim mount is easier to fab around.
that was my thought also. im not sure its possible to get the ram to run perfectly parrallel, across the entire stroke. the heim would prevent any binding.

thread jack:

I am looking into the same stuff as Nevada.... What kind of pressure does a hydro setup see? I'm jsut wondering since i have a bulk of high pressure high temp fuel hose if it's rated well enough or if it's a whole other ball game...:corn:

thread jack:

I am looking into the same stuff as Nevada.... What kind of pressure does a hydro setup see? I'm jsut wondering since i have a bulk of high pressure high temp fuel hose if it's rated well enough or if it's a whole other ball game...:corn:
That hose will not work.....My system is rated at 1900 psi I run 2500 psi hydo lines

thats not too bad a price. i didnt realise it was so cheap to do.
the 1st one i linked has a 1" rod, and attached heims.

thanks.

so it looks like 1.5"x6" is the way to go.
now as long as my 4 stud knuckles dont go...pop!
i seen a kit for adding a 5th stud. looked simple enough. i think i'll just make my own.

anyone know what PSI the stock yota pump puts out?
how about a FORD pump?

Don't fall for the TG junk... The ram WILL start puking on you and the lines WILL start leaking within a month of wheeling.... There are a few on here that love their cheap chinese **** from TG but the ram and lines are probably the shitiest pieces they sell.... Yes they'll warranty it but will they come out to the middle of kaner flats and fix their **** with it dies on you? :;

Yes 1.5x6 is prime for assist. The ford pump probably puts out decent pressure but it depends on if it was from a car or truck... If it's made for a rack & pinion the pressure will be much lower if memory serves... Trucks never came with R&P's so they used a higher pressure...

Don't fall for the TG junk... The ram WILL start puking on you and the lines WILL start leaking within a month of wheeling.... There are a few on here that love their cheap chinese **** from TG but the ram and lines are probably the shitiest pieces they sell.... Yes they'll warranty it but will they come out to the middle of kaner flats and fix their **** with it dies on you? :;

Yes 1.5x6 is prime for assist. The ford pump probably puts out decent pressure but it depends on if it was from a car or truck... If it's made for a rack & pinion the pressure will be much lower if memory serves... Trucks never came with R&P's so they used a higher pressure...
yeh, it is CHEAP. which worries me. im leaning towards the 1st one i linked to. still need to know, what SAE #6 equates to?? or, i might just have custom lines made.

its a regular truck pump. but, as you know, im planning on putting a yota pump back in. the steering has always been "weak" with the ford pump(NEW) even unlocked, in 2wd, its never felt GOOD.

That's why i suggested the PSC ram. It's only a couple dollars more than the TG ram and the lines that come with the TG ram won't work for a lot of setups anyway.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sc2206-15-x-6-cylinder-assist-steering-cylinder-p-555.html

yeh, it is CHEAP. which worries me. im leaning towards the 1st one i linked to. still need to know, what SAE #6 equates to?? or, i might just have custom lines made.

its a regular truck pump. but, as you know, im planning on putting a yota pump back in. the steering has always been "weak" with the ford pump(NEW) even unlocked, in 2wd, its never felt GOOD.
It's an AN -6 that you're referring to I believe.

Here is a link to a fitting

http://www.amstreetrod.com/139106ASR.php4

and the hose

http://www.amstreetrod.com/130006ASR.php4

Edit NM...I looked at the ram and those don't look like AN fittings on it

I had my lines made at Napa but you can order them from surplus center really cheap too. To adapt the yota pump to sae line I had the pressure hose made with a compression fitting on the end so it slips right over the yota steel line and it keeps things from being too custom and hard to find parts for in the middle of nowhere.

All of us (wheeling buddies) run #6 line and I carry extra reusable fittings and hose so we always have a backup if shiat happens. I carry a union kit to splice a hose too if needed.

That's why i suggested the PSC ram. It's only a couple dollars more than the TG ram and the lines that come with the TG ram won't work for a lot of setups anyway.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sc2206-15-x-6-cylinder-assist-steering-cylinder-p-555.html
yeh, i checked that. id have to buy the ends separately. thatd be even more. did u check the 1st one i linked? comes with heim style eyes.
It's an AN -6 that you're referring to I believe.

Here is a link to a fitting

http://www.amstreetrod.com/139106ASR.php4

and the hose

http://www.amstreetrod.com/130006ASR.php4

Edit NM...I looked at the ram and those don't look like AN fittings on it
yeh, thats what got me confused...
I had my lines made at Napa but you can order them from surplus center really cheap too. To adapt the yota pump to sae line I had the pressure hose made with a compression fitting on the end so it slips right over the yota steel line and it keeps things from being too custom and hard to find parts for in the middle of nowhere.

All of us (wheeling buddies) run #6 line and I carry extra reusable fittings and hose so we always have a backup if shiat happens. I carry a union kit to splice a hose too if needed.
waycrazy can custom make me hydro lines. or i can have them made, for fairly cheap. im not too worried about that.
i already had a custom line made. from my ford pump, to my yota box. cost about $40. i had fitment issues, it had to be a custom angled end. they just mated the toy end to a SAE metal line.
the guy was AMAZED at how thick the toy stuff was. made the ford piece look like a plastic straw:redneck: he kept going on about how strong/thick it was:haha:

I didnt look at it but when referring to Hydrolic hose and fittings
#4 is 1/4"
#6 is 3/8"
#8 is 1/2"

AN fittings are the same size as hydraulic fittings. JIC 37deg flares = AN flares.

Each fitting size refers to how many 1/16" it is.

#4 = 4/16" = 1/4" or AN-4
#10 = 10/16 = 5/8 or AN-10

For power steering, you'll want to use STEEL hose ends. Either from your local hydraulics hose supplier, or you can get steel fittings from the racecar shops too. Hydraulic hose ends are usually crimped, the racecar stuff is usually re-useable which means you can install it on a hose end without the crimper.

The bling bling aluminum red and blue stuff won't hold up to hydraulic pressures.

Here's a cutaway pic borrowed from Earls plumbing.

swivelseal_diagram.jpg

I didnt look at it but when referring to Hydrolic hose and fittings
#4 is 1/4"
#6 is 3/8"
#8 is 1/2"

AN fittings are the same size as hydraulic fittings. JIC 37deg flares = AN flares.

Each fitting size refers to how many 1/16" it is.

#4 = 4/16" = 1/4" or AN-4
#10 = 10/16 = 5/8 or AN-10

For power steering, you'll want to use STEEL hose ends. Either from your local hydraulics hose supplier, or you can get steel fittings from the racecar shops too. Hydraulic hose ends are usually crimped, the racecar stuff is usually re-useable which means you can install it on a hose end without the crimper.

The bling bling aluminum red and blue stuff won't hold up to hydraulic pressures.

Here's a cutaway pic borrowed from Earls plumbing.

swivelseal_diagram.jpg
i thank you both. thats the info i was needing.
so, unless i hear a good reason not to. i'll probably be getting the 1st cyl i linked. and most likely order some lines at the same time. if they dont work out, i'll just have some made.

any idea on the length im gonna need? 36"?

and quick question..on this style of ram,(single cyl, double acting) will it be stronger going out, than it is going in? stronger pushing than pulling? if so, is it enough to notice?

A double acting hydro cyl. pushes both ways. If everything is fuctioning correctly there should be equal amount of pressure left to right.
A better explaintion from Pirate 4x4
Double acting - Most piston-type actuating cylinders are double-acting, which means that fluid under pressure can be applied to either side of the piston to apply force and provide movement. The two fluid ports, one near each end of the cylinder, alternate as inlet and outlet ports, depending on the direction of flow from the steering unit.
ag%20cylinder_small.jpg