• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro help

fatkid81

The problem is that it won't turn right. it used to work i drove it around the block once and put it on a trailer. Then when i took it off the trailer it didnt work anymore. it is a trail gear orbital with a agurcultural ram with a clevis on the end of it that is mounted underneith the tie rod. i mounted my orbital on my buddys truck and it worked both ways. and his ram has much more of an angle and it works and my angles are pretty damn good but i still have no right. and if the tires are off the ground it works both ways. :mad:

Last edited:
Maybe one of your lines has some **** in it
not passing enough oil to over come on ground
when off ground works becuse. Verry little restince

I have been shipped orbitals from TG and the plastic caps on the fittings had been bumped in shipping and the sharp tapered fitting cut a perfect disc out of the plastic cap. I had to fish out the disc and a few round cuts of bubble wrap and a layer of cardboard too.

Make sure there are no pieces of debris in there. They may be in you lines now too.

When you put it on your buddies rig, did you put his orbital in your rig and see if his orbital behaves the same with your pump, lines, and ram?

it flows the same as when it did work both ways when i first tested it. I am begging to think it is the ram even know it is a new ram. and a ram is a ram.

Lemme guess it turns just fine when the ram is pushing the rod out but it won't pull it back in right? If so up the pressure out of the pump.

it will pull back if the rig is in air. but not on the grand. so how do i up the pressure then

First off what are the specs on the ram? Bore, stroke and rod size. You should be able to look up what pressure the pump will put out with that flow valve. My bet is either the ram has a large diameter rod taking up a lot of surface area on the piston or that control valve needs the bypass piston shimmed to raise the pressure.

control valve needs the bypass piston shimmed to raise the pressure.

More info on this please...

I'm not having any problems right now, but I'd like to understand more about how the valve works...

I've got a buddy that has a 5 port valve and at higher rpm it will lock the system up... The 5th port is blocked off, a guy at Williams told him to block it... He talked to a forklift guy and was told to run it back into the low pressure line to the res... I told him that I thought the forklift guy was right, but I don't work on this stuff... Only mess around with the set up on my rig... Mine's a char-lynn 4 port and seems to work fine...

More info on this please...

I'm not having any problems right now, but I'd like to understand more about how the valve works...

I've got a buddy that has a 5 port valve and at higher rpm it will lock the system up... The 5th port is blocked off, a guy at Williams told him to block it... He talked to a forklift guy and was told to run it back into the low pressure line to the res... I told him that I thought the forklift guy was right, but I don't work on this stuff... Only mess around with the set up on my rig... Mine's a char-lynn 4 port and seems to work fine...

I'm no expert on hydraulics by any means but from what I've read the 5th port does go back to the pressure line. At least I think it does... Something about a pressure balance.

The control valve I'm talking about shimming is in the pump. Shimming the piston raises the line pressure that the pump bypasses at. I've had the issue with one way only when my pump was non modified.

I'm no expert on hydraulics by any means but from what I've read the 5th port does go back to the pressure line. At least I think it does... Something about a pressure balance.

The control valve I'm talking about shimming is in the pump. Shimming the piston raises the line pressure that the pump bypasses at. I've had the issue with one way only when my pump was non modified.

So, you're talking about drilling the pump, stretching the spring and adding a washer??? Like Texas Offroad???

Drilling the orifice means more flow. Stuffing a washer under the relief spring will up the pressure but you need to be carefull a little bit goes a long way.

I'll look into the 5 port valve but I would say it's either case drain that needs to go to the return line or it's set up for a variable displacement pump and that is the LS line. If that's the case I don't think it will work with a p/s pump.

1 1/2 bore x 1000 psi =880 ponds 1 1/2 x 1500 psi =1995 ponds
2 " bore x1000 psi =1570 ponds 2"x1500 psi =3540 ponds
2 1/2" bore x 1000 psi =2450 ponds 2 1/2 x 1500 psi =5520 ponds

Double ended rams are equal pressure because of equal bore area and single ended rams are not, you have to subtract the rod from the bore to fined the area.