• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hypothetical question?

BUG-E J said:
Do you know anyone with access to lkq or something similar. They go around here for 500ish. Locate one and make a road trip.
No, I will look on their website and see what I can find.

Dirt700 said:
I will probably just keep 35 spline, I just got quoted 2300 for a set of 300m rcv's, so that saves some. Would the 10" be better or the 9.75 with 35 spline pinion? Does the hp 70 need the Jana 76 kit?
If you do a 76 in a hp axle you will need to find reverse cut 70 gears. And the problem being a 60/70 pinion will not support over 600 horses. Won't happen the pinion is not big enough. So if the hp 60 gears are holding up upgrading to a 70 set is not helping you. I have researched the **** out of all this stuff. I heat treat and cryo my gears. I don't know what that does to the actual strength of the pinion but bobby and Brian pulled their hp in favor of the 14 bolt because they were shearing pinions at the chunk not breaking 300m shafts

I know for a fact the reverse cut 70 gears are scarce and don't come in alot of ratios but the pinion od at the yoke may be different than a lp 70. But my rear 70 and front lp and hp 60 all use the same yoke

Out of curiosity I typed in 06 superduty front axle on ebay and they are 400 bucks. I didn't do the rest of the research for you but you may start there

BUG-E J said:
Out of curiosity I typed in 06 superduty front axle on ebay and they are 400 bucks. I didn't do the rest of the research for you but you may start there
Thanks man, I will check out eBay, a little scared to buy something with looking at it first, but that's an option. Sounds like it's best and easier to just go with 60 gears with 35 spline pinion. As far as horsepower, I doubt I will ever see 500. My 360hp does fine for me now. I may try a set without heat and cryo and see how that goes. My lp has 5:13s and I have made them last so far. I'm pretty sure I'm going 4.88 in the new buggy, so that helps some.

BUG-E J said:
If you do a 76 in a hp axle you will need to find reverse cut 70 gears. And the problem being a 60/70 pinion will not support over 600 horses. Won't happen the pinion is not big enough. So if the hp 60 gears are holding up upgrading to a 70 set is not helping you. I have researched the **** out of all this stuff. I heat treat and cryo my gears. I don't know what that does to the actual strength of the pinion but bobby and Brian pulled their hp in favor of the 14 bolt because they were shearing pinions at the chunk not breaking 300m shafts

The Currie HP70 gears are big 35 spline pinion. They only come in 5.38 and are ~$550.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/70-538RS

Yukon YG D60R-538R-35 are 9.75" HP60 gears with the big 35 spline pinion. They only come in 4.88/5.38 and run ~$450

https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=3827

Dana Spicer OEM 10" gears have 29 spline pinions and are available in all common ratios. They ususally run $3-400.

Dirt700 said:
Thanks man, I will check out eBay, a little scared to buy something with looking at it first, but that's an option. Sounds like it's best and easier to just go with 60 gears with 35 spline pinion. As far as horsepower, I doubt I will ever see 500. My 360hp does fine for me now. I may try a set without heat and cryo and see how that goes. My lp has 5:13s and I have made them last so far. I'm pretty sure I'm going 4.88 in the new buggy, so that helps some.
Yeah youre describing a perfect application for a super duty 60. The last one I bought came from LKQ and I paid $375 for it complete with the exception of brake calipers. The If you decide to go full retard like Jonny here does you can step up to the 35 spline HP70 pinion.

One downside that has not been mention to the super duty 60 is all the crap you gotta cut off it. There is ALOT of metal to be removed before its ready to go into a buggy.

I didn't realize the hp 70 was a different yoke. I knew they only came in just a few ratios. You might luck up and find one. They were for 4wd 4500 chevys. I didn't look into it alot after I called ecgs and found out they could build me an axle to fit all my old stuff for what a hp 70 stock would cost me

BUG-E J said:
I didn't realize the hp 70 was a different yoke. I knew they only came in just a few ratios. You might luck up and find one. They were for 4wd 4500 chevys. I didn't look into it alot after I called ecgs and found out they could build me an axle to fit all my old stuff for what a hp 70 stock would cost me

The OEM HP70 gears are 29 spline pinion and come in a couple different ratios.

The Currie gears are 4.88/5.38 only, & the big aftermarket (mark williams) 35 spline. Uses the same yokes as the aftermarket big pinion ford 9" stuff

When I put the 70 gears in a lp 60 it used a 70 carrier it just required machining for the load bolt. If you go super 60 I would run the 10 inch gear and not worry about the 70 stuff

Beerj said:
Head over to pirate and contact patoyee. He sent me a jig to redrill for $15.
I remember him having one, that's probably what I will do. I'm leaning more towards the 60 now

BUG-E J said:
When I put the 70 gears in a lp 60 it used a 70 carrier it just required machining for the load bolt. If you go super 60 I would run the 10 inch gear and not worry about the 70 stuff
That sounds like a good, cheaper option for me. Are yours the regular 60 gears or 10"

I'm in Texas, but have bought and sold several 05+ 60s complete with brakes for $400. I was gonna cut the Cs off and go with fab 9 housings cut to factory shaft lengths before I bought portals. I always use car-part.com and do a search. They were around $800-1200 on there, but asked Manuels Auto Parts #2 if he would do $400 complete and they said yes. LKQ quoted me $275 for a high mileage one, but wouldn't sell it without a core.

Dirt700 said:
You trying to make me go broke, Sarah is going to make me stop hanging out with you, I'm already spending a **** ton. Think I may do the 60 with regular gears and some 300m shafts. Will save about 3k over a 14 bolt, that's a set tires!

High pinion 60 is all a #trailbouncer needs.

Dirt700 said:
That sounds like a good, cheaper option for me. Are yours the regular 60 gears or 10"
Right now I'm running the smaller hp 60 gears that rcv heat treated and cryoed. If I break them I'm gonna step up to the 10 inch but I just don't think it's gonna happen. And if it does 3 years from now I'm actually ok with that I will keep pushing my hp 60 not run out and buy a 14 bolt. If I were building a strictly race buggy I would run a high pinion drop out something with big knuckles. I just don't think a 14 front is the best option. Now if you want 2 inch shafts on a budget you can get a 14 bolt chunk with 4.56 gears for pretty much free so that's a good starting point.

Latest posts