• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hypothetical question?

cushmaneaglerider said:
Currie 4.88 and 5.38 are 35 spline

Dang I didnt' know they came out with 4.88s, I'll go back and edit my post for clarity

Dirt700 said:
That sounds like a good, cheaper option for me. Are yours the regular 60 gears or 10"

For the price difference (~$0 - $100) I'd run the 10" all day.

the only "problem" is that the Spicer 10" gears in 4.56+ are all "thin" gears for the low-speed 4.56+ carrier

Not a big deal if you can get the diff you want and are having to buy one anyway. (Or you can run a ring gear spacer)

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14527837-dana-60-hp-5-38r-oe-dana-spicer.html 5.38 10" gear $275
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14527838-dana-60-hp-super-4-88r-oe-dana-spicer.html 4.88 10" gear $375
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-16015735-dana-60-spool-4-series-35-spline.html 4.56+ spool $155

TBItoy said:
Dang I didnt' know they came out with 4.88s, I'll go back and edit my post for clarity

For the price difference (~$0 - $100) I'd run the 10" all day.

the only "problem" is that the Spicer 10" gears in 4.56+ are all "thin" gears for the low-speed 4.56+ carrier

Not a big deal if you can get the diff you want and are having to buy one anyway. (Or you can run a ring gear spacer)

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14527837-dana-60-hp-5-38r-oe-dana-spicer.html 5.38 10" gear $275
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14527838-dana-60-hp-super-4-88r-oe-dana-spicer.html 4.88 10" gear $375
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-16015735-dana-60-spool-4-series-35-spline.html 4.56+ spool $155
I will have to buy a spool anyway, so not a big deal. Thanks for all the help, y'all probably saved me several thousand dollars. That's why I love this place.

Dirt700 said:
I will have to buy a spool anyway, so not a big deal. Thanks for all the help, y'all probably saved me several thousand dollars. That's why I love this place.
I'm glad we had an actual conversation about what's good for the money instead of this turning into a **** storm of build a 14 or your a dumbass. Or even worse Eddyj show up bragging on those boat anchors he runs

BUG-E J said:
I'm glad we had an actual conversation about what's good for the money instead of this turning into a **** storm of build a 14 or your a dumbass. Or even worse Eddyj show up bragging on those boat anchors he runs

We just answered his questions before the trouble makers showed up.

BUG-E J said:
Me too!

Looks way better on the wallet now.
$400ish axle
$350-500 for high steer
Spool $150
Install kit $150
10" 4.88 r&p $375
R&p install ? Few 100?
Rcv's $2300

= $4500ish
roughly 4k cheaper than the 14 bolt and almost the same strength

sleepsontoilet said:
I'm in Texas, but have bought and sold several 05+ 60s complete with brakes for $400. I was gonna cut the Cs off and go with fab 9 housings cut to factory shaft lengths before I bought portals. I always use car-part.com and do a search. They were around $800-1200 on there, but asked Manuels Auto Parts #2 if he would do $400 complete and they said yes. LKQ quoted me $275 for a high mileage one, but wouldn't sell it without a core.
I just checked on Manuels website, it said $1400, this place was in Pasadena. Maybe I looked it up wrong.

Dirt700 said:
Looks way better on the wallet now.
$400ish axle
$350-500 for high steer
Spool $150
Install kit $150
10" 4.88 r&p $375
R&p install ? Few 100?
Rcv's $2300

= $4500ish
roughly 4k cheaper than the 14 bolt and almost the same strength
It might be worth calling ecgs and see what they will build you one like mine for. They offer any knuckle combo you want and they can build it to stock chevy width so ordering your shafts will be easy. Then you could just buy a lug nut 4x4 kit for brakes. That custom center section has 10 times the ground clearance and they can put thicker tubes in it. Just a thought.

BUG-E J said:
It might be worth calling ecgs and see what they will build you one like mine for. They offer any knuckle combo you want and they can build it to stock chevy width so ordering your shafts will be easy. Then you could just buy a lug nut 4x4 kit for brakes. That custom center section has 10 times the ground clearance and they can put thicker tubes in it. Just a thought.
I might give them a call, I used there website, and it came out close to 8k also

How about the Sterling rear, if I could find a matched set with the right gears would be awesome.

Dirt700 said:
I just checked on Manuels website, it said $1400, this place was in Pasadena. Maybe I looked it up wrong.
No you looked it up right, they were high like all junkyards throw out there. I walked in and spoke with Ernesto and asked what he'd take and he said $600. I told him they go for 250-300 but I'd have to ship. He said speak to the manager, so I did. I told him $400 complete was fair and I'd buy several of them. The manager told him ok for me to go pick them out. Same for my drivetrain, they were asking $1300 online for my sc 3800. I ended up paying $1200 for my motor, AW4 trans, 300 t case, bellhousing needed for the swap, series II fuel rails, throttle body, wiring harness, etc. I bought a stack of 4runner driveshaft for $50 they were asking $150 online.

Dirt700 said:
How about the Sterling rear, if I could find a matched set with the right gears would be awesome.
If a lp with 513 gears is living in your rig I would rock it.

Dirt700 said:
Keep in mind you'll have to change those lugs too if you want to keep your 8x6.5. I found my front with 4.10's. Got a 14b with 4.10's also and been rocking them.

Beerj said:
Keep in mind you'll have to change those lugs too if you want to keep your 8x6.5. I found my front with 4.10's. Got a 14b with 4.10's also and been rocking them.
I have 14 bolt rear I was going to use that I have already cleaned up the tubes, just needs brakes and gears. But I was talking to Brad (cushmaneaglerider) and he said if I could keep matching brakes it might be better. What lugs did you get? If I could find one of the newer 14s the brakes are probably similar. What size mc you got for the front and how do you like it?

I'm running 3/4 masters for front and rear. I honestly don't remember which lugs I got, I think they were listed somewhere on that giant pirate thread. I think lugnutz4x4 is working on a 3/4 ton caliper bracket.

Man I'd just stick with the 14b rear with a bolt on disc brake kits that use 1/2ton calipers and 3/4ton rotors. If you go sterling rear its time to start looking at swapping over to the 8x170 super duty pattern. Redrilling a sterling to 8x6.5 is not going to be nearly as easy as drilling those unit bearings, I'll get you a pic to show you why in a minute. Also the 14 bolt is stronger and has significantly more aftermarket support.

8551d865a352ff2340299705a6e753bc.jpg

Theres a raised pad on the back of the sterling hub where the wheel lugs fit, prolly not a deal breaker but it would make redrilling a little more challenging. I'm not certain but I dont think the 8x6.5 hubs off the early 10.25 sterlings will swap on either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I'd stick with a 14 if you want 8x6.5

I plan to run a SD Sterling rear, but I got it for free along with a set of 17" steel super duty wheels.

d_daffron said:
Man I'd just stick with the 14b rear with a bolt on disc brake kits that use 1/2ton calipers and 3/4ton rotors. If you go sterling rear its time to start looking at swapping over to the 8x170 super duty pattern. Redrilling a sterling to 8x6.5 is not going to be nearly as easy as drilling those unit bearings, I'll get you a pic to show you why in a minute. Also the 14 bolt is stronger and has significantly more aftermarket support.
After I made the comment about the Sterling I got to looking for gears and spools. I think I will stick with the 14 rear