• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I am pissed at Yamaha.......

gasman1

I bought a 2008 WR250 3 moths ago. I bought it used from a private party, and it had 1200 miles on it when i purchased it.

A few weeks ago i was out riding my bike and while i was on a ride i stoped for a break for abourt 20 minutes (to let my butt relcoup form th eseat) and when i whent to leave the bike would not start. The fuel pump was not coming on. I coasted down the road a few miles, trying to get it to start. Finnally the fuel pump kicked in and it statred. Road it back to camp and the rst of the weekend with no problems. Thena few days later i rode it to work and when i got off work to head home it would not start again, s i got a ride home from a coworker, gt my truck and whent to pick it up. Wheni got to work it started right up :banghead: . i loaded it in my truck and took it to the yamaha dealer here locally. After 2 weeks of having the bike in there posesion they were able to duplicate the problem once, and found no explination for the issue. They then called Yamaka (Factory/customer support) and they told them it was the fuel pump.

Well, Yamaha will not warrenty the part because the bike was impropperly stored. I asked what??? They said, sence the bike has low miles on it, it was not used enough and was stored unproperly, and because it was stored unproperly it caused a diod or something (not exactly sure) to fail. so if the fuel pump gets hot, it will turn off and will not work untill it cooled down.

I asked the dealer to define "unproper storage" and they could not, they did not know what they ment by "unproper storage".

Now i have to frk out almost $300 for aq fuel pump. I know that this is an isolated incedent, there are two others on this site with the same problem.
:banghead:

Need less to say i will be contacting the Customer service and voicing my $#@!$%%%%^^%$$#

that bike even has a warranty?

oh, and warranty on "toys" arent worth the paper theyre printed on. ive learned that the hard way myself. at $300, your getting off easy....

How could it be the diode if you were at work all day after riding it to work? Presumably you worked 8 hours. That would be enough time for it to cool off.

the bike was 2 days out of warrenty when i took it in to the shop. The warrenty was not even an issue with them. They flat out said it was misuse and/or abuse, not mechanical.

Glenn, the bike sat in the sun most od the day, and got hot.

i hate that ****,when there is a problem they cant replicate!!??? its like just listen to me dumbasses!!!

hope you get it all worked out and back doing sweet wheelies..lol

the bike was 2 days out of warrenty when i took it in to the shop. The warrenty was not even an issue with them. They flat out said it was misuse and/or abuse, not mechanical.

Glenn, the bike sat in the sun most od the day, and got hot.
"misuse or abuse" is HOW they get out of the warranty. theres just no way to prove it. thats why the warranty was an issue.

i hate that ****,when there is a problem they cant replicate!!??? its like just listen to me dumbasses!!!

hope you get it all worked out and back doing sweet wheelies..lol

Lets say--you have on occasions been feeling sick on and off. You call the doctor and make an apointment. You get up to go to the doctor and you are feeling really good today. You see the doctor and he says he can't find anything wrong with you

what do you do?

Its not easy being on the other side of the fence...

So the bike was OUT of warranty and you're complaining because they wouldn't warranty it? :eeek:

Its more about princepal.

They are not standing behind there product that has a know problem. I am not the only person with this problem, they know about it and will not warrenty a defecive product, that is BS.

And then to place the blame on me when it is clearly a defect, BS.

Last edited:
Its more about princepal.

They are not standing behind there product that has a know problem. I am not the only person with this problem, they know about it and will not warrenty a defecive product, that is BS.

And then to place the blame on me when it is clearly a defect, BS.

Ah, that makes a little more sense if it's a known problem. Especially when they blame it on "improper storage" even though they can't tell you how to properly store it:rolleyes:. What a joke

It was a diode? Oy...

I know that if you don't start your mower every now and then, even in the winter, the diaphragm dries out and cracks, and it won't stay running. Maybe this is what they mean by not being used enough... I don't know enough about motrcycle carbs, but the ones I have ridden, if you don't ride them often enough, they dry up as well.

Dirt bike, right? Yeah, I can see that having a lot of miles on it, because as we all know, you're suppose to ride it EVERY DAY! :rolleyes:

I've seen dirt bikes that are 15 years old, with under 3,000 miles on them.

Made a few calls today and got no where, YET. i am heading out for the weekend so i be back on it monday morning.

I looked up un my owners Manual about proper storage and it say's to "fill the gas tank up completely, and add fuel stabaliser (if aplicateable) to the fuel".

So, if the bike is stored wit fuel in it, how is that inproper storage?

More next week when i get back from Rimrock Lake wheeling......

If it's out of warranty (by two days or two years) it's out of warranty. So firstly, admit that it's out of warranty. Secondly, realize you're asking for something EXTRA. That's above and beyond what you are owed. The dealer certainly doesn't owe you the free repair, as you didn't buy from them. So the only entity whom MIGHT owe you, is the manufacturer.

Therefore my advice is threefold;
One, ask nice. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar
Two, if you don't like the answer you're getting, try asking a different person. In other words, go find another dealership's service dept and ask them to talk to the manufacturer on your behalf
Third, how much is the part anyway? Is all the mental grief over a few pennies? Or are we talking thousands?

if you brought the bike in 2 days after the warranty expired, and you aren't even the original owner, you oughta be glad they didn't charge you to diagnose it. sure they gave you a bs excuse, but on a warranty you didn't even have so that makes it irrelevant. if you don't like it, don't buy another yamaha, they don't owe you anything. I would chalk it up to poor customer service and move on.

However i hope you get it fixed soon, and get to ride again soon:awesomework:

edit: good post while i was typing! I would second this 3 step advice, it works well, it's what i've always done in these situations, and will gauranteed provide the best results possible everytime.

If you came in to me, with this problem. We denied your claim, you said thanks for trying, didn't have the $$ to fix it and turned around and walked towards the door. I would personally feel like we screwed you, and would do everything in my power to make sure you left with a running bike at no charge.

on the flip side, if you felt i owed you something under the same circumstances i'd tell you to fork over $300 for a pump, or take the bike out of here.

just my $0.02 of wisdom

Last edited: