• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I took my rear axle apart, what does the forum think?

vanguard

That rock walker guy
Well, the things I was concerned about turned out ok. The inner axle is straight and the third member looks fine. I was also interested in the ring gear and the wear pattern since I've been going through R&Ps lately. However, the 9.5" R&P seems to be doing just fine.

This is the locking mechanism and side gear. They look pretty much like new to me. Now problem here.
P5180097.JPG

I didn't take a picture but the inner axle is nice an straight along its length. However, it is badly scored.

What do you guys think? Run it or replace it?

P5180095.JPG

P5180096.JPG

wngrog said:
Run that bitch.....I thought you were getting Alloy axles anyway?
That is an alloy axle. I installed it two runs too soon. :(

I think I'll do the emery cloth thing and run it. I like that idea.

What are we looking at? if it's the minor scratches on the axle, I say run that bitch.

kid rok said:
What are we looking at? if it's the minor scratches on the axle, I say run that bitch.
It's about 1/32" narrower in the scratches. I already hit it was a little sandpaper and I'll run it in a month or so when the new housing arrives.

Thanks guys.

I'm glad Joel brought this back up. I woulda run it and got a spare, but now that I've seen how minimal the damage was, and that you snapped it the next time out. Yeah thatnk you for teaching me a lesson. I will replace going forward.

I had a spare, I installed it the next morning. When I did it I could see that part of the locker was out of place but I thought I fixed it when I installed the axle. (I didn't see how it could be in the wrong spot with the axle installed.) The next morning it was clear that the rear was unlocked and I wasn't interested in spending the afternoon wrenching in the heat when I wasn't even sure who would be wheeling late Saturday.

If I can't get a cromo replacement in time I'll run the spare next week. I tried to call Poly Performance on the drive home but they didn't pick up or answer my voicemail. I'll call as soon as they open as see just how crazy the shipping is to get it by Wednesday or Thursday. Either way I'm wheeling again next weekend. My axle is back and it will be my third trip in four weeks. I'm making up for lost time.

DONT run it! Levi bent a spindle on the rear of the Caddi at the ROC race and the axle rubbbed just like that. The problem is the temper in the axle gone. It got hot enough to turn it blue. its gonna break the first time you load it hard. Is the shaft or the axle tube bent? Some thing made it rub. Find the problem and REPLACE the axle!

Caddishack18 said:
DONT run it! Levi bent a spindle on the rear of the Caddi at the ROC race and the axle rubbbed just like that. The problem is the temper in the axle gone. It got hot enough to turn it blue. its gonna break the first time you load it hard. Is the shaft or the axle tube bent? Some thing made it rub. Find the problem and REPLACE the axle!

LOL...he did and it broke.

Woody, it is time to upgrade your axles.

That, or did you get the buggy info Gilespie sent you?

Caddishack18 said:
Now that's some damn good advice. molaugh

I wasn't acting foolish or anything. It just had to bump a 2 1/2' rock to get over it and it snapped. The cause was a badly bent axle housing which I've replaced. Now I just need to replace the stock/spare inner axle with a new cromo axle and it should be good to go.

Nolen: As for upgrading the axle, you're probably right but I don't have the heart to do it. I must have $1,500+ into this rear axle and I love the e-locker (when it's working). I'm hoping that with 200+ horsepower and 37" tires it will hold up just fine. I like to think that my bad luck is behind me now.

Man you werent the only yota guy havin hard luck, that cat from Florida had it bad the whole weekend too... :-X

I was happy I didn't slow the group down. Aside from 15 minutes to pull the drive flanges on the front axle I just took my lumps and made it back to camp on my own.

On a side note, how did Greg get his buggy home. It sounds like it wasn't drivable. Did he bring the tow rig to the bottom of little jager? (That's what I did the last time I tried to run that trail.)

Ya he didnt want to chance any more damage ( understandably ) so they trailered out from there. His 4link turned into a 3link so it was a good decisions thumb.gif

Im still amazed that didnt turn into a multiple roll as he was still foot strong in the bitch when it was on its side 1/4 rotating facing the opposite way he started out headed ! laughing1 It was a helluba show !!

that's what's nice about Harlan is you can get a trailer back up in durr thumb.gif pepper.gif

Hey Vanguard was the root of your problem that old bent housing??

Caddishack18 said:
I'll bet it is a housing.

he bent the **** outta his old housing but just got a new diamond housing that is pretty pimp thumb.gif I think this shaft was the shaft outta the bent housing.