• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ignition help

toyman21

Ok here is the deal, I think im taking out ignition boxes.
put a new one in today and fires right up like ive been running it all day, stop and start a few times on and off with no issue. it sits for a few hours and all itll do is crank like mad and sputter when i let off the key, like one cyl is fireing once.
The thing runs like a top, allthough it has been sitting for a few years.

79 ford F-250 supercab with a 429, C-6, 205.

sure like to figure it out, i want to be driving this day to day but this is a big problem.
Thank you for the help

Two things to try.

1 Dont crank the key so far. Fords have shitty ingition switches and commonly will cut power to the coil while cranking if you twist it as far as it will go. Might work fine once then not the next, all depends on if its you or the switch.

The fix, only turn it just far enough to engage the starter but still keep the coil hot while cranking.

2 Or it will fire while cranking but will die out as soon as you stop cranking and return it to the "run" position. In this instance it will be getting a bad connection at the ignition switch when returned to the run position.

The fix, crank it till it fires then dont turn the switch back to "run" let it "flick" back to the run position so it makes a good contact with the run terminal inside and stays running.

If neither of those is even close then wait for the ford bums here to save you.

Ill give number one a try, dont think its it but worth a try.
while cranking it wont fire at all, but as you let off its as iff 1 cyl will fire once then nothing.
thanks for the try.

ok,NEVER seen this. I think chop shop may be on to somthing.
just went out and played with the key trying to start it and it fired up but if i would allow the key to move game over.
how does that work? is there somthing in the key switch that makes connections to allow it to continue to run? am i just missing the simple things here.
zukkev no i havent not yet, didnt think that deep into it.
crash just put a new one on today.

ok,NEVER seen this. I think chop shop may be on to somthing..

Listen to the mechanic, not the parts changer/tech. :;

Ive been driving my ol ford that way for years. Even my tractor has an ignition switch like that too. You will figure it out. Tinker with the switch till ya figure out its sweet spot and then you will have a theft proof truck. You and me will be the onnly people that will be able to start it.

Or of you cant find its pattern then just get a new switch and run it like the manual say to. :beer:

new switch will be in tomarrow night, i have never seen anything like it.
so i got it running, fired up great but i move the key a touch and itll die sometimes and sometimes run. that is the damdest thing. thank you for the fast response guys.

new switch will be in tomarrow night, i have never seen anything like it.
so i got it running, fired up great but i move the key a touch and itll die sometimes and sometimes run. that is the damdest thing. thank you for the fast response guys.

Sounds like the contacts in the ignition switch are definitely bad and a good idea to replace it.. I have seen harness's smoke out and close to causing a fire due to this.

Glad you got her figured out! :;
Oh and Choppy....:fawkdancesmiley:
I ran into this before as well, on the very same yr truck---but I'll be damned if I remember exactly what the fix was!!! It's been a loooooong time since seeing EECIII roll thru the shop on a reg basis! :redneck:

Sounds like the contacts in the ignition switch are definitely bad and a good idea to replace it.. I have seen harness's smoke out and close to causing a fire due to this.

that would not be good, man that was a head scratcher never would of thought. Im glad itll be a simple fix.
I have wanted a super cab for about 20 years, and i found a nice one and only gave $800 for it. I am prepaired for alot of R&R of odd and end parts that got old or wore out. the 429, well not sure the budget can afford the tires for that thing :)

that would not be good, man that was a head scratcher never would of thought. Im glad itll be a simple fix.
I have wanted a super cab for about 20 years, and i found a nice one and only gave $800 for it. I am prepaired for alot of R&R of odd and end parts that got old or wore out. the 429, well not sure the budget can afford the tires for that thing :)

I have had 2 that blew the insulation off the harness to the switch. Inside the switch there(fords/gm are very simular) are contact pads and when they go bad they can easily create allot of heat due to the poor contact. You could easily measure the voltage drop thru the switch to verify it--something a mechanic would not know how to do :awesomework: and the proper way to check for a good circuit.

thanks crash, i may do that. i bet the switches are pretty cheap.
ive been thinking about it and it makes since of what you guys were saying, like i sayed missing somthing to simple.

soon to move on to lift, tires and paint, I should be about done with the nickle and dime stuff id think(pavement pounder).

--something a mechanic would not know how to do :awesomework: and the proper way to check for a good circuit.

Hmmmm, most heavy equip manufactures have procedures spelled out for a wiggle test. Pretty much wiggle the damn thing and if it fouls up throw the fawker away. Didn't even need to unzip the VOM.:redneck: But I'm no makanik.

WTF out of the blue my damned 89 IDI started cutting out on the way home after I got fuel. It died, immediately refired and started stuttering as I drove. I remembered this thread and wiggled the key and voila away she went. Looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :redneck:

WTF out of the blue my damned 89 IDI started cutting out on the way home after I got fuel. It died, immediately refired and started stuttering as I drove. I remembered this thread and wiggled the key and voila away she went. Looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :redneck:

Getting a new key made :redneck: