• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

in cab winch controls

2pwrlftrs4u

NWW Meanie
just add a plug n play wireless controller or run permanent in cab controls. what did you do/how'd you wire yours.

looking at making my own like some of the stuff 12v guy offers

I have a remote and incab controls.

In the woods I only admit to having the incab controls. Something about not having to get out is kinda koool.

I wired mine into the cab on the Jeep. I can also still connect my controller at the winch if I need to. I simply used a piece of SOOW 3 conductor cable (extension cord material available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) I put crimp eyes on one end, and hooked the other end to the switches. I hooked directly to the solenoids.

14.jpg

1658_498876943483248_695655214_n.jpg

In cab only at this point... though a GOOD wireless controller (one that works every time you press the button and doesn't have a delay to it) would be pretty sweet for re-spooling the cable and such.

[EDIT]: For clarification as to the original question... I would do both. In-cab controls are stupid cheap and easy to do, and wireless controllers are convenient in a lot of scenarios.

I don't trust wireless though, batteries go dead or things break or you lose the damn remote somewhere buried in the glovebox or that mud pit next to the door, so the backup of having in-cab controls or at least having the wired remote WITH you and somewhere you can access it is just solid planning IMO.

Last edited:
I run in cab, wireless and have the factory set up. They all have there place. All work great. Nice to have the options

I run 12Volt guy controls and carry my controller.

Be the first and build an app to run your winch. Can't be that hard. :flipoff:

Its pretty easy and cheap to rig up your own. I mounted mine on my shifter. I have a master on/off switch, then a 3 position momentary switch to control the winch.

To wire it up all I did was take a test light light and figure out which wires activate the solenoid/controller going in and out and spliced in accordingly.

Does anyone put relays on the dash controls they wire in?? Seems that they would get pretty hot with heavy winching....???

I used to have the old warn cable controls in a willys and they worked well.

Master on/off switch in cab plus controls next to it. Always have my factory controller along for the ride sometimes getting out and seeing what's going on is important!! The controllers on dash or factory are control switches for solenoids mounted on winch very minimal amps used = no heat for controls!

Older winches run a three wire controller.
Newer winches run a five wire controller.

All you really need is a three position toggle switch (Momentary ON - OFF - Momenetary ON) to wire either winch, although Warn actually uses a Double throw (6 position) version of the M.ON-OFF-M.ON switch now. One side controls the hot, the other side is a ground circuit.

On my newer winch, I just wired the ground switched circuit direct to ground(inside the control box) and run a three position switch.

On both rigs, I also ran a Master ON/OFF switch, in-line, prior to the M.ON-OFF-ON switch, as an additional safety.

I also carry the controller in the glove box, in case I'm outside winching trees or whatever.

I run both a wireless controller and in cab switch, nice to have backup if the wireless craps out. I used a 4runner rear window switch for the incab control, works great.

I use an incab from Roadless gear and carry the ever faithful factory remote control because switches have failed in the past.

I wired mine into the cab on the Jeep. I can also still connect my controller at the winch if I need to. I simply used a piece of SOOW 3 conductor cable (extension cord material available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) I put crimp eyes on one end, and hooked the other end to the switches. I hooked directly to the solenoids.

14.jpg

1658_498876943483248_695655214_n.jpg

In cab only at this point... though a GOOD wireless controller (one that works every time you press the button and doesn't have a delay to it) would be pretty sweet for re-spooling the cable and such.

[EDIT]: For clarification as to the original question... I would do both. In-cab controls are stupid cheap and easy to do, and wireless controllers are convenient in a lot of scenarios.

I don't trust wireless though, batteries go dead or things break or you lose the damn remote somewhere buried in the glovebox or that mud pit next to the door, so the backup of having in-cab controls or at least having the wired remote WITH you and somewhere you can access it is just solid planning IMO.

Older winches run a three wire controller.
Newer winches run a five wire controller.

All you really need is a three position toggle switch (Momentary ON - OFF - Momenetary ON) to wire either winch, although Warn actually uses a Double throw (6 position) version of the M.ON-OFF-M.ON switch now. One side controls the hot, the other side is a ground circuit.

On my newer winch, I just wired the ground switched circuit direct to ground(inside the control box) and run a three position switch.

On both rigs, I also ran a Master ON/OFF switch, in-line, prior to the M.ON-OFF-ON switch, as an additional safety.

I also carry the controller in the glove box, in case I'm outside winching trees or whatever.

thanks gents :awesomework:

Latest posts