• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

In Moab

jimpaget

I am in Moab this week. Keep in mind that the rig was "finished" on Thursday evening and we left Friday morning. Ran Metal Masher Today. I tried, but was defeated on Rock Chucker.

Attachments

• rockchucker compressed1.JPG
    rockchucker compressed1.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 117
  • rockchucker compressed2.JPG
    rockchucker compressed2.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 112
  • rockchucker compressed3.JPG
    rockchucker compressed3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 117
  • rockchucker compressed4.JPG
    rockchucker compressed4.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 113
  • rockchucker compressed5.JPG
    rockchucker compressed5.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 114
One more picture. This one "ALMOST" scratched the paint.

Attachments

• rockchucker compressed6.JPG
    rockchucker compressed6.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 113
Jim, looks good. There was also a group from canada that went there as well. Lime green buggy...
Anyway, looks warm. Keep the pics coming.

Looks like an awesome time Jim! Oh, and I think Don has the new magnet all done up...want me to put your name on it? :stirpot:

It is really hot!! Last night I temporarily mounted a fan by the passenger so there can be some air movement when we stop.

Well, today was "interesting". Three of us were doing Hell's Revenge, my rig, another YJ and an FJ Cruiser. The YJ used to be a stock competitor in UROC, but it has the mighty 2.5. The FJ has a lift an an elocker but 2.93 gears. I was climbing a relatively low ledge and there was a terrible racket and banging.
The front u-joint on the rear driveline let go and also took out the yoke. I took off the driveline and we attempted to go back out the way we had come. We made it perhaps a mile when we came to a major fin and it was obvious that neither rig had the power to pull me up, and we knew that there was another even larger couple of fins ahead. We made the decision to return to town for parts and come back to install the driveline. We went to one Jeep shop and 4 auto parts stores and no one had the yoke. At three of the places they thought it was from a Toyota. We finally went to Moab 4x4 Outpost and they were at lunch.

When they came back from lunch, the owner took one look at the yoke and said, "That's a Spicer F1". For $76 he sold me the yoke, pressed out the remains of the old one and pressed in the new one. A few minutes back at the rig and we were on the road again. I did notice just a slight ticking sound. Evidently the new yoke was the tiniest bit thinner than the old one on the mating surface, so the attaching bolts were barely hitting the bolts on the SYE. Some lock washers under the head of the bolts and all is good.

(For all you Ridge Rams, yes I did plagarize my post on the club site.)

Dana 60's large tires and plenty of traction is bad news for u-joints. Glad you got it all squared away :awesomework:

Dana 60's large tires and plenty of traction is bad news for u-joints. Glad you got it all squared away :awesomework:

The spool in back certainly doesn't help, either. The spool will be replaced before I come back to the slickrock again.