• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

In the event of a rollover

first, I have to shut my mouth from screaming (proven fact) then I punch my spotter for being so crappy!?

Last edited:
Good topic Mike. And some good idears. I think Im gonna do some poop to my battery to make sure it wont short. I wouldnt take much to smush tbe hood/fender down into the battery terminals.

On another note. Three questions about that jeep in the pic. 1. How the **** do you get a jeep to do that? (Dems good brakes!) 2. Did the guy get to keep his leg. 3. Did the spare come out?

Good topic Mike. And some good idears. I think Im gonna do some poop to my battery to make sure it wont short. I wouldnt take much to smush tbe hood/fender down into the battery terminals.

On another note. Three questions about that jeep in the pic. 1. How the **** do you get a jeep to do that? (Dems good brakes!) 2. Did the guy get to keep his leg. 3. Did the spare come out?

yes, he came out ok. Concussion and a lesson learned...when in doubt, power out.
His jeep is being rebuilt.

Only time I was in a roll over was at the Moon Rocks... Really slow, so plenty of time to make sure hands and arms were safe... But, everything in the rig landed on top of me... Most things were secure, but you don't realize how much little stuff you take with you until it lands on you...

I always get a bad feeling when I see people stick arms and **** out of the rig...

OK I done this once er twice.:redneck: First off a rollover USUALLY happens so fast that you don't have time to think or react before you hit something. Given that this is what I try to do.
1) Grit your teeth as the impact may hurt.:booo:
2) Take your hands off of the wheel but don't grab for **** or stick your hands out. Holding the wheel is a good way to get broken fingers from the steering wheel spokes. Hold your shoulder straps if you can.
3) Hold the brake depending on the situation and direction you're rolling.
After you stop-
4) Not on wheels? Turn off engine.
5) Battery disconnect.
6) Park- This one is very important.
7) Don't unbuckle your belts until you're sure the rig will stay where it is then recheck park and unbuckle. Brace yourself when you unbuckle!
8) Get out and roll your **** back over!:mad:

Another thing that comes to mind is after it's rolled back over and the engine is hydro locked the rig needs winched out of where it is. If by Chance like 10,000 people are watching you (Goldendale 05), don't forget to put the rig in neutral while you winch.:redface:...just sayin.:haha:
Bottom line is your adrenaline may be going and you may get in a hurry with things. Take a second and a deep breath, collect yourself and be carefull so nobody gets hurt.:awesomework:

Also in the event of a rollover--keep your hands on the steering wheel.

Its also a VERY good idea to make sure the passenger has a grab bar of some kind---arms not secured with your hands are prone to going every which way.

disagree "do not hold the steering wheel". the forces generated can easily break your hands fingers thumbs and wrists. seen it first hand:awesomework:

disagree "do not hold the steering wheel". the forces generated can easily break your hands fingers thumbs and wrists. seen it first hand:awesomework:

Good point--I like ricks idea better but what if you don't have dual shoulder straps?

I second what Binder said. Remeber the golden rule, stay cool. And helmets are your friend. If I'm a passenger, I get out for any major obsticles. You can do alot more to help after the fact if you were outside the vehicle.

Good point--I like ricks idea better but what if you don't have dual shoulder straps?

mike dont you have a grab bar in the overhead?

this time around i am installing grab bars for passengers and driver for this very event. there will be a brief every time i allow a passenger in "this is where you put your hand nowhere else is acceptable only here.":awesomework:

if regular seatbelts id say grab the seat with your hands and hold on.

great thread. the one time i rolled hard i thought i had everything tied down.

my little 6 packer ice chest landed in my lap upside down and spilled the ice on my pants.....i swear.:D

In that case I tell people to fold their arms or lace your fingers behind your neck.
There's always circumstances and exceptions to the rules but as long as these things are thought of BEFORE the rollover happens it's most unlikely people would get hurt.

mike dont you have a grab bar in the overhead?

this time around i am installing grab bars for passengers and driver for this very event. there will be a brief every time i allow a passenger in "this is where you put your hand nowhere else is acceptable only here.":awesomework:

if regular seatbelts id say grab the seat with your hands and hold on.

great thread. the one time i rolled hard i thought i had everything tied down.

my little 6 packer ice chest landed in my lap upside down and spilled the ice on my pants.....i swear.:D

I do and have trained myself to grab it with my right hand. As for my left arm I have tubing that the seat mounts to thats perfect to grab and working on training myself to grab that.

Also as mentioned make sure you stuff is tied down. When I did my little backflip thingy the only thing that fell outa my rig was whatever was sitting on the passenger seat and in my center console(was not locked) but the rest of my gear stayed in place..

In that case I tell people to fold their arms or lace your fingers behind your neck.
There's always circumstances and exceptions to the rules but as long as these things are thought of BEFORE the rollover happens it's most unlikely people would get hurt.

Definately a matter of training yourself. I guess anything to keep your arms from flailing is better than nothing.

Definately a matter of training yourself. I guess anything to keep your arms from flailing is better than nothing.

Yes definately. I've seen on a few videos where people roll over and they have a tendancy to put thier arms up like to support themselves against the roof when upside down. If you have a soft top or just tube with no skin this is very dangerous. Make sure and tell anyone who rides along to not do this.:eeek:

Yes definately. I've seen on a few videos where people roll over and they have a tendancy to put thier arms up like to support themselves against the roof when upside down. If you have a soft top or just tube with no skin this is very dangerous. Make sure and tell anyone who rides along to not do this.:eeek:

People will ride along with you? I must be doing something wrong!:redneck:

Good point on being a passenger and holding the shoulder straps. When I was with Porter and we rolled down the face of moon rocks I had snugged the shoulder straps as tight as I could and crossed my arms holding them. All was fine at the bottom of the face and he restarted it and drove away just fine.

I learned the hard way at a young age to just keep my thumbs outta there when driving period. I always tell my passengers to hold thier belts if we go but I still hold the wheel. I'm usually working the wheel till way too late and by that time I don't want my arms flapping while I miss grabbing my belt.

The biggest thing I see alot, is that people are harnessed up, but way too loose in the shoulders (or mismounted) to do alot of good.