• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

In the event of a rollover

hit the gas roll with don't stop on a teiter If it does get it back asap before the oil gets lost or in the combustion chamber .

6) Park- This one is very important.
7) Don't unbuckle your belts until you're sure the rig will stay where it is then recheck park and unbuckle. Brace yourself when you unbuckle!
8) Get out and roll your **** back over!:mad:

Most of our group will keep the driver in the vehicle on a simple flop to prevent any more misshaps.

Staying buckled in is often quite a bit safer than the guy climbing all over a freshly rolled rig.

Bottom line is your adrenaline may be going and you may get in a hurry with things. Take a second and a deep breath, collect yourself and be carefull so nobody gets hurt.:awesomework:

I think this is probably one of the biggest things to think about. It's easy to get in a hurry and make dumb mistakes when adrenaline is flowing and lots of people are around all trying to direct the show once the rig is on its lid. Remember that it's just a wheeler, if the motor hydro locks or it burns up because the battery arc'ed so freakin' what... better than you killing yourself or someone else while in freakout mode trying to get it back on its lid.

I'm thinking of the guy on here, I think it was Maverick that got his leg broken a few years ago out at the rocks when some people tried to just heave-ho his rig back over for him after a roll. I remember he was not too happy about the whole situation.

Most of our group will keep the driver in the vehicle on a simple flop to prevent any more misshaps.

Staying buckled in is often quite a bit safer than the guy climbing all over a freshly rolled rig.

Don't forget to point and laugh when your buddy rolls your rig on flat ground. :D

dsc02104oy.jpg

I always keep the passenger belt fastened. If I am going over, I loop my arm under it, lean over the center and hang until it all stops.

My battery is fastened down and protected under the hood. Even if the hood collapses onto it, it is covered to prevent shorts. I am not worried about electrical shorts.

Fuel cell is right behind me and protected and sealed. If it gets hit hard enough to do damage, I am a goner already.

I learned the hard way at a young age to just keep my thumbs outta there when driving period. I always tell my passengers to hold thier belts if we go but I still hold the wheel. I'm usually working the wheel till way too late and by that time I don't want my arms flapping while I miss grabbing my belt..

I agree. Anyone who drives hard will know to keep their fingers/thumbs out of the wheel.

I always hold the wheel while rolling. Nothing worse than a horse with no reigns.

I bet the wheel letter goers close their eyes too! :haha:

OK I done this once er twice.:redneck: First off a rollover USUALLY happens so fast that you don't have time to think or react before you hit something. Given that this is what I try to do.
1) Grit your teeth as the impact may hurt.:booo:
2) Take your hands off of the wheel but don't grab for **** or stick your hands out. Holding the wheel is a good way to get broken fingers from the steering wheel spokes. Hold your shoulder straps if you can.
3) Hold the brake depending on the situation and direction you're rolling.
After you stop-
4) Not on wheels? Turn off engine.
5) Battery disconnect.
6) Park- This one is very important.
7) Don't unbuckle your belts until you're sure the rig will stay where it is then recheck park and unbuckle. Brace yourself when you unbuckle!
8) Get out and roll your **** back over!:mad:

Another thing that comes to mind is after it's rolled back over and the engine is hydro locked the rig needs winched out of where it is. If by Chance like 10,000 people are watching you (Goldendale 05), don't forget to put the rig in neutral while you winch.:redface:...just sayin.:haha:
Bottom line is your adrenaline may be going and you may get in a hurry with things. Take a second and a deep breath, collect yourself and be carefull so nobody gets hurt.:awesomework:

I like your list Rick but add to it. Close your mouth and your eyes to keep dirt and glass and such out of them

Most rolls and flops I've had were different in their own way and the only rule I have is "I'm still driving until I can't". So even during a roll /flop I'm actively engaged with the gas, steering wheel and brakes (even the clutch).

When I'm a passenger, I stomp my feet down on the floor and hold onto my shoulder belts.......I don't drive or ride in rigs that don't have should belts.

So you guys just give up when you "know" you're going over then huh?:eeek:

:haha:

So you guys just give up when you "know" you're going over then huh?:eeek:

:haha:

Nobody said anything about knowing when you roll, the topic is "when" as in it's a given.....This is a good point though for bystanders. Be cautious of running up to a rig that rolled as the driver may not be done.:;

I learned the hard way at a young age to just keep my thumbs outta there when driving period. I always tell my passengers to hold thier belts if we go but I still hold the wheel. I'm usually working the wheel till way too late and by that time I don't want my arms flapping while I miss grabbing my belt.

The biggest thing I see alot, is that people are harnessed up, but way too loose in the shoulders (or mismounted) to do alot of good.

there is also some difference to a flop and a severe roll. the severe roll usually comes when you least expect it. like driving up the road to the rocks when some yahoo comes around the corner in a 4 wheel drift and you either head on him or the ditch....

if its a minor roll i usually try to keep driving as many times you can save it if you try.

This is a really good thread..

I know it is kinda off topic but could someone post up a little more about what types of things we should be doing to our rigs to keep fluids where they need to be?

I have had 2 rolls in my new rig and cant seem to figure it out. One was a flop on the left side and I lost almost all my tranny fluid and 2 qts of oil. It was on its side for about 15 min and we had to pull all the plugs and clear it out before running it.

The second roll it landed on its top and sat there for about 15 min also, flipped it back over and fired it right up. No fluid loss at all. WTF? Is there any tricks to help keep the fluid where it needs to be? I was unable to shut the buggy off right away on the second roll so it was running upside down for a few seconds before shutting down. Just really odd to me.

It's hard to explain but here goes.

You should either use both catch cans/rollover valves

And route your fluid breather lines like this. Imagining that you are looking at that from the side and not the top. This way, no matter what, the fluid(s) can not escape, yet they can still breathe.

images

It's hard to explain but here goes.

You should either use both catch cans/rollover valves

And route your fluid breather lines like this. Imagining that you are looking at that from the side and not the top. This way, no matter what, the fluid(s) can not escape, yet they can still breathe.

images

I have not had a problem with fuel at all (which is good) but motor oil and tranny fluid are on my to-do list for sure. I need to get locking dip sticks for both and rout breathers better. :awesomework:

a cool thing I saw was using a shock reservoir on the power steering and making it a closed system...

Most rolls and flops I've had were different in their own way and the only rule I have is "I'm still driving until I can't". So even during a roll /flop I'm actively engaged with the gas, steering wheel and brakes (even the clutch).

This. :awesomework:

This is a really good thread..

Is there any tricks to help keep the fluid where it needs to be? I was unable to shut the buggy off right away on the second roll so it was running upside down for a few seconds before shutting down. Just really odd to me.

You just had a lesson there. I don't shut mine off until everything is settled for two reasons. To have a chance to pull it out and also to keep fluids where they are supposed to be in the motor as long as possible.

Also Jeeps have a nice little vent cap for the diff's and transmission and transfer case. They have a real fine screen in them that you occasionally have to clean, but they vent ok if you keep them clean and if liquid hits them it clogs the screen only allowing an occasional drip out. If the motor leaks that is not good, because if oil gets out, dirt is getting in. Seal it.

I have had my rig on its side for over 45 minutes on a steep side hill and after righting it, there were no leaks and the motor started right up.