• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Is this a good thing?

wrecker1

Or is it time for a rebuild? Front axle on my CJ, I opened it up to change the fluid and found this...

JeepStuff006.jpg

JeepStuff007.jpg

Doesn't look like it's into the bearings too bad yet. I'll have to wait to rebuild it (and throw a locker in it) until the cash flow starts up again, if thats what it needs. :mad:

You need help

At an absolute minimum, pull and replace the carrier bearings, and while the carrier is out, inspect the pinion bearing visually. If you're lucky, you can leave the existing shims in place and still have it 'liveably close' when you reassemble, until such time as a rebuild / upgrade can be paid for. A good scrub on the bearing caps and cover should remove the rust.

And if you haven't noticed, the water probably came in thru the axle tube seals, which also should be replaced. This also means that the front ends been under water sometime in the past, and you are also probably due for some wheel bearings too.

Good luck

You need help

At an absolute minimum, pull and replace the carrier bearings, and while the carrier is out, inspect the pinion bearing visually. If you're lucky, you can leave the existing shims in place and still have it 'liveably close' when you reassemble, until such time as a rebuild / upgrade can be paid for. A good scrub on the bearing caps and cover should remove the rust.

And if you haven't noticed, the water probably came in thru the axle tube seals, which also should be replaced. This also means that the front ends been under water sometime in the past, and you are also probably due for some wheel bearings too.

Good luck
Yep thats my next project, cleaning and inspecting the outer ends of the axles. Fortunatley its getting kinda limited use right now
and BTW I'm never lucky like that! :haha:
Isn't the only way that can happen. Is for the rig to be sitting for quite a while?

I'm sure this one sat for a while before I got it. the PO did a bunch of stuff to it, but it seems like he never used it off-road much. I'm still working out the bugs he should have found the first trip out.
I'll have to just clean it up best I can for now, I still need/want to use it. If I toast it, I already have plans to replace it altogether. Just didn't want to do it so soon! :haha:

It happens when things sit too long. The changing temperatures cause moisture to form on the inside of the diff and any bare metal rusts...pretty normal.

never seen that before. x2 on the axle seals. do these axles have breathers on them?

axle seals will get replaced, along with at least a good greasing (If not new bearings, that depends on funds)
It does have a breather on it, Hopefully it will get extended upwards pretty soon!

i would put an extended breather on it when you do the seals otherwise you'll have to keep changing the gear oil.

Looks like the yellow tape is the cause of the rust. I'd take it back and demand your money back.

:haha: that was the label for that HiPo chrome cover, still had the writing on it till I shot it with brake cleaner to clean the oil off. :haha:

Throw some oil in there and run it.

It happens when things sit too long. The changing temperatures cause moisture to form on the inside of the diff and any bare metal rusts...pretty normal.

X3

If you really care, pull the caps and bolts and wire wheel them to remove the loose scale.

Then slap it together and run it till you want to rebuild it. If your going to lock it later than you should rebuild/bearing it then... till then who cares. Its a front diff, your not driving on it ALL the time.

I've seen this very frequently on the front of 4x4's that get driven often, but rarely in 4wd, so the front just sits and the oil doesn't get splashed around to keep rust from forming. This is why they recommend engaging the t-case or locking in the front hubs a couple miles each month... to keep things lubed.
________
Teen Jewish

Last edited:
I would just run it--as stated before its just moisure from sitting. I see it ALOT with all the diff work I do.....

:haha: that was the label for that HiPo chrome cover, still had the writing on it till I shot it with brake cleaner to clean the oil off. :haha:

Proof that chrome is crap.:haha:

When I was putting my D44 together it was rusted like that. I took it to the carwash and most of the rust sprayed off.

Run it...

Like MARK mentioned...

1. Wire brush the **** out of the caps and hardware.
2. Shoot it with some carb cleaner.
3. Blow it dry and re-seal it.
4. Fill it and wheel.
5. Flush after a couple of trips...

Throw some oil in there and run it.

x23

The metal only rusted where the oil wasn't. At worst, the bearings were only out of the oil maybe 1/4 of the way? Get a magnetic drain plug to catch all the rust flakes, and run it. If the bearings howl, it was time for new ones anyway and you're only out $10 in gear oil.

I would just run it--as stated before its just moisure from sitting. I see it ALOT with all the diff work I do.....

Thats what I'll do. clean them up a little and grease the outer stuff, then deal with it when I when I find a locker for the front.
Thanks everyone for the advise. pretty much what I thought.