• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep cherokee questions

Darby1

Not to jump on the $mark cherokee band wagon, but I'm looking at getting a family wheeler. I'm looking at a 96 jeep cherokee sport with the 4.0. Man, you can get these things cheap! You can find a good runner for $1000-1200 all day. Why have I been driving toyota's!

My question, can you fit a 34"ltb wich is really more like a 32" tire under a stock cherokee if you do a little triming? I noticed Mark had cut out the entire rear wheel wells out of his grand, that doesn't fit the family theme I'm going for here. I have these brand new ltb's sitting around and they need a home. If their not going to work then I'll look at a different option.

If they fit I'll weld the spiders and "hold on family!"

Any thoughts? I know NOTHING about jeeps, is a 96 cherokee sport a decent deal for 1k?

from my xj experience i had one with 33's and a 3.5 inch lift and another with 31's and same lift.. 33's rubbed alot wih trimming , 31s never rubbed with same amount of trimming..id reccomend getting a small lift but thats my ..02

Ok, thanks guys. Guess i will have to look into a lift if i get it. Or i will do A LOT of cutting, which is always an option when your a shade tree mechanic

Thats too funny I just did the same thing.. I picked up a 87 xj with a 4.0 (with leaky pan) , d44 rear, at, 30 front, and he threw it sideways into a telephone pole but the damage was not that bad for the cost.. Everything works even the power windows for 275$.. I am trying to either stuff 32x11.5x15 bfg m/t or 32x9.5x15 supers swampers.. I am running one or the other so ill let you know what route I take.. Its a budget beater till my 4runners done.. Good luck to you and keep us posted..

Thats too funny I just did the same thing.. I picked up a 87 xj with a 4.0 (with leaky pan) , d44 rear, at, 30 front, and he threw it sideways into a telephone pole but the damage was not that bad for the cost.. Everything works even the power windows for 275$.. I am trying to either stuff 32x11.5x15 bfg m/t or 32x9.5x15 supers swampers.. I am running one or the other so ill let you know what route I take.. Its a budget beater till my 4runners done.. Good luck to you and keep us posted..

is it the blue one with rear driver damage from the poll? I saw one on CL. Good deal! Are you having trouble making 32s fit? maybe we could play bumper cars in the woods with our disposable wheelers :haha: these things must have something good going for them because they seem to have a devoted following

I have not even pulled it from the trailer.. Yeah it was a pretty good deal.. Im going to cut the back top off and I might try and get a tj roll bar in there for support.. I will keep you posted though.. I am going to put a hurting on this thing lol. should be fun

I have not even pulled it from the trailer.. Yeah it was a pretty good deal.. Im going to cut the back top off and I might try and get a tj roll bar in there for support.. I will keep you posted though.. I am going to put a hurting on this thing lol. should be fun

You have a samurai too, AND your building a 4runner. You sound like me :mad: you should see my back yard :redneck: I'm putting my samurai back together now while I rebuild my toyota. No time for my K5 or F350 anymore :haha:

We should hit the trails in our zooks if you still have one? Somehow I don't think these covered station wagons will take us as far.

My samurai is gone.. I wish i still had it thought it was a good little rig.. go kart on steroids if you ask me.. I dont think our grocery go getters are going to go as far but then again they wheel good and if you dont care how bad you beat it you can get to alot more places.. only rigs I got left is 85 4runner, 79 bronco (going to build it for the dunes might scrap the body), and my 87 xj! theres alot of way to build these on a budget.. rear could be blocks, springs, or shackles..

Generally speaking with XJ's- 31" is the biggest tire that won't rub without going to a long arm lift. But wider tires rub worse than skinny ones and wheels makes a difference (width and BS).

I would do a 3.5" lift with lower control arms, coils (not budget spacers), rear springs, not add-a-leaf (I have add-a-leaf in mine and it sucks).

a tj rollbar will not support the unibody structure after the roof is cut off. it will just fold were the rollbar is mounted. cherokee's are made out of super thin layered sheetmetal. when you start wheelin hard, you will hear spot welds ripping and breaking, and them falling apart around you. trust me, i know. 31x10.5's will rub either way. with stock BS wheels they rub on the lower control arms, and with wider wheels, they rub everywere else. with 34" ltb's you will need a narrow wheel with the correct bs, and bumpstops front and rear.

bottom line, if you wheel a cherokee without plating and cageing it, expect it not to drive strait within one season. they fall apart. im on my second cherokee, i've built quite a few for friends. even with a cheap initial buy in, bring your wallet, because it will nickel and dime the **** out of you if you want to fix it.

I dont care if it falls apart it will do just fine.. My dad will buy the whole thing for parts for my sisters when im done with it.. I am not worried about it falling apart. Ill throw some steel here and there for some support but for the most part its just a beater until my 4runners done.

Last edited:
lol, you got the point.. Basically I just dont care what it does as long as it last a few months.. :fawkdancesmiley:

I don't care what anybody says about unibodies........JUST DO IT! Wheel it and have fun.

:eeek:Maintenance, repairs.....why?

Disposable Thug Wheelers, Inc. :redneck:

I don't care what anybody says about unibodies........JUST DO IT! Wheel it and have fun.

:eeek:Maintenance, repairs.....why?

Disposable Thug Wheelers, Inc. :redneck:

X2 i like my xj hears a pic. it has rustys 6" long arm up front and re 4.5" with 1.5" Shackles. i run 35-10.5-16 and have vary little rubbing. it works good
101_1599.jpg