• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep flat tow bar questions

gas is on the right

I want to be able to flat tow my jeep if I want....I have a front bumper I built out of 2x4 3/8.....it also has a front receiver build into it ...what I want to do is build something off of my receiver ...kinda like the picture below but nicer...what do you guys think...

Last edited:
I kinda think its not a good idea..but I dont want a huge tow bar on my jeep either...or anything more welded or bolted to the front of my jeep ..I could easily take it off and toss it in the back when not in use

I think that eventually the side load would eventually make that fail...

also there would be too much deflection side to side to possibly keep it stable and safe towing behind something...

I am no expert, but I would still stay with the triangulated two point tow bar style attachments... much safer IMO

i built my tow bar to fit my D ring mounts on my winch bumber for my TJ, did the same for my CJ. i have flat towed from TX to WA, WA to TX and TX to AK, no issues

Last edited:
You need to draw the towed vehicle by two roughly equidistant points triangulated to the towing vehicle hitch for it to track with the towing vehicle

i built my tow bar to fit my D ring mounts on my winch bumber for my TJ, did the same for my CJ. i have flat towed from TX to WA, WA to TX and TX to AK, no issues

This is how I built the tow bar for my Bosses ZJ....hes towed that thing all over the country behind his motorhome.....he even had a rear wheel come off the ZJ, on the last trip, and it just kept tracking behind the coach....till someone flagged him down:redneck:

Way back in the early days of road master tow bars they used a single pecker, however it was supported in a triangle with tight chains,
Put chains in a triangle back to the front bumper and cinch em up with some turn buckles

I think that eventually the side load would eventually make that fail...

also there would be too much deflection side to side to possibly keep it stable and safe towing behind something...

I am no expert, but I would still stay with the triangulated two point tow bar style attachments... much safer IMO

This:awesomework: