• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep Grand Cherokee's

82toyomud

I'm thinking of buying one to replace the Yota while i'm in college. I'm mainly looking at the 2000-2002 flavor, anything i should look out for?

Kris

I'm thinking of buying one to replace the Yota while i'm in college. I'm mainly looking at the 2000-2002 flavor, anything i should look out for?

Kris

Make sure the AC blows cold. And the tranny shifts okay.

Also, check the t-case. Not exactly sure what years, but in the AWD models, the t-case viscous coupler in the front takes a poop, and you have to replace it.

That being said, I highly reccomend a V-8 model. You can get the same MPG's as a 4.0L if you are easy on it.

Make sure the AC blows cold. And the tranny shifts okay.

Also, check the t-case. Not exactly sure what years, but in the AWD models, the t-case viscous coupler in the front takes a poop, and you have to replace it.

That being said, I highly reccomend a V-8 model. You can get the same MPG's as a 4.0L if you are easy on it.

Do you know anything about engine failures in those years? I've come across quite a few adds that say, engine has 20-40K less than the rest of the vehicle....

Do you know anything about engine failures in those years? I've come across quite a few adds that say, engine has 20-40K less than the rest of the vehicle....

Maybe some of the early 99 or 00's???

They put the same 4.7L in them as they did in the Dodge trucks. It's a mercedes (daimler) built motor and I haven't heard any major problems with them.

My mom has a 2000 Grand with all the bells and whistles. 4.7 w/auto.

I feel two ways about the Grand Cherokee...

Pros: Exceptional traction. Period.
Good power.
Tows relatively well.
Nice looking.
Comfortable to drive on road.
Low resale value... for somebody to pick up with a few miles on it!
Decent MPG for the power.

Cons: Terrible resale value... for somebody who bought it new... :eeek:
Constant electrical gremlins.
Tranny gone out at 74k
T-case issues at 100k.
Bad offroad manners, meaning it beat the hell out of me on bumpy backroads in comparison to my beat-up, old, solid-axle toy!
Bad body integrity.
Cheap interior, squeaky, just cheap...
Replaced front brakes (mainly rotors) AT LEAST every 20k!!

It isn't a bad vehicle. With these problems in mind, even I would consider one with lower miles and at a damn cheap price. In the ice, it made my rather competant Toyota look like crap. It hooks up! I have talked to several people (maybe a dozen, or more) that have all echoed the probs with the tranny and the f-n front brakes! That gets expensive. I know one guy, who hardly ever towed with his, that replaced the front rotors five times in one year!

I think I would almost trust the Yota...

On my Grand, I replaced the front brakes with all HAWK stuff from quadratec. Haven't had any problems since.

But yes, the OEM brakes do go out, but it's a $100 fix for new pads and rotors if you buy the good stuff and do the work yourself. Look at all the grands or even 99+ jeeps on the road, the front wheels are COVERED with brake dust.

Last edited:
On my Grand, I replaced the front brakes with all HAWK stuff from quadratec. Haven't had any problems since.

But yes, the OEM brakes do go out, but it's a $100 fix for new pads and rotors if you buy the good stuff and do the work yourself. Look at all the grands or even 99+ jeeps on the road, the front wheels are COVERED with brake dust.

So, even doing everything yourself, the cheapest my neighbor would have gotten away with in that year would be $500... not counting his tranny at 60k. Or his exploded rear aluminum D44.

I think I will buy a winch, instead! :;

:beer: