• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep Help / Advise

Poohbair

Pabst O'Holic
So I have this 93 Cherokee now... with the 318 / 206,000 miles

It will start, but then immediatley dies. It will run and stay running on starting fluid, so obviously it is not getting fuel. I can hear the pump cycle on and off with the key. I do not have a fuel pressure guage to see what kind of pressure it is getting at the fuel rail.

Any ideas? Is a fuel pump probably the problem anyways, or is there something else I should look at... fuel pressure regulator, dirty filter, bad sensor of some kind, ??????

Also, what tranny would this have in it?

My '96 zj (318) had issues with the throttle position sensor sticking due to the blow by tube is pointed right at it. With that many miles its safe to say you have some blow by and its worth looking at. It comes in from the back of the throttle body. Just lift up the throttle body and spray the **** out of it.

Factory security system cuts fuel on those. Does the security light flash at all with key on/engine off? I can see if it has security if you get me VIN. Also, it may be worth trying to walk around the rig, locking and unlocking all doors with the key, to see if it resets.

Factory security system cuts fuel on those. Does the security light flash at all with key on/engine off? I can see if it has security if you get me VIN. Also, it may be worth trying to walk around the rig, locking and unlocking all doors with the key, to see if it resets.

That worked! It fired right up and purrrrrs like a kitten! THANKS!!!!! :beer:

But still no go. Not sure if it is something in the tranny or in the Tcase, but it has NOTHING!!

Any quick easy things to check for this???? It has the full time 4wd tcase in it. Not sure what the tranny is.

Last edited:
that first year of the zj i think came with the aw4 trans, which some jeep fags go gaga for. might be the only part of the 93 you can brag about, unless it's blown...

is she a manual or auto? Could be incorrect but if shes manual could be ax-15 and if auto could be AW4

Its an auto.

Fluid is nice and pink and doesn't smell burnt, but it is like neutral in every gear. Not sure if it is a tranny problem or a tcase problem???? Any ideas on tracking it down?

stuff to look at in no particular order (even though I've numbered them)

Its an auto.

Fluid is nice and pink and doesn't smell burnt, but it is like neutral in every gear. Not sure if it is a tranny problem or a tcase problem???? Any ideas on tracking it down?

First, make sure the transfer case is engaged. Put it on jackstands (so the tires are able to turn, then twist the driveshafts to see if they are engaged with the transfer case. If the driveshafts free spin, then the transfer case is not engaged. At that point, look at the linkages to the transfer case, and see if anything looks out of place. Now this may not always be 100% accurate, because a stripped trans may still allow twisting, but it should help you identify issues.

Second, pull the inspection cover on the transmission's troque convertor. Make sure the bolts to the flywheel / torque convertor are installed. While you're down there, start wondering if the trans has had recent work. Could be that they forgot to put fluid in the torque convert during a 'home repair'. Should be some evidence of recent transmission work.

Third, the fluid is pink and unburnt, but is it full?

/

Went out and played with it for about 5 mins.

It doesn't move at all .. in any gear

HOWEVER, if it is in gear, and you move the tcase from 4hi to N to 4lo, it grinds, and jumps forward a touch... almost like the tcase isn't in gear but the tranny is spinning.

HOWEVER, if it is in gear, and you move the tcase from 4hi to N to 4lo, it grinds, and jumps forward a touch... almost like the tcase isn't in gear but the tranny is spinning.

maybe change out the tcase...:haha::haha: :fawkdancesmiley:

I would love that... easier and cheaper than changing the tranny!

from the sounds of it, thats the issue... disconnect the linkage from it and manually shift the case as stated before...

hmmm... block up front and jack the rear.. put in 2wd and drive and listen to the case for slapping sounds n grinding...see if you can hear the chain...

just a thought...:awesomework:

from the sounds of it, thats the issue... disconnect the linkage from it and manually shift the case as stated before...

hmmm... block up front and jack the rear.. put in 2wd and drive and listen to the case for slapping sounds n grinding...see if you can hear the chain...

just a thought...:awesomework:

X2 on this... those chains are finiky things. If the chain came loose or fell off you'd be experiencing exactly what your saying, ESPECIALLY with her lurching forward all the sudden...

The best part is, if worst comes to worse sourcing a replacement chain/case shouldnt be tough to find on craigslist and even a junkyard.

I hate those T-cases....always had problems with them. I would recommend what they were suggesting, shift it manual if you can.

You might just have a t-case problem. Should be a NP231 or a NP242 t-case. Those things you can pick all over the place.