• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep Questions

flounder72

SO I guess the main question is 4cyl vs 6Cyl and then Manual vs Automatic? only looking to maybe run 31 or 33's 4 to 6 inches of lift. Wanting to hear from guys that have run these things

thanks
Paul

I have the 4 banger in mine and if I was to do it all over again I would have waited and bought one with a 6. Don't get me wrong the 4 has held it's own when needed. But the extra power is would be nice. As far as tranny... some people swear by automatics, some manual. The common argument is automatics are better for rock crawling. Personally either works for me, although the older I get the less I want to work to drive something.

I4 is not enough power.... And only a few real "problem years" of transmissions. And please don't run 31's on 6 inches of lift......please.......

i had a 4banger/stick yj for a while and i loved bobbin around the hills in it because it felt more like a real jeep to me, in that i mean WW2 era original 'jeep'.
My brother's 6 cyl to me feels like a whole nother rig for some reason. more power obviously, and i think the 6 cyls had a beefier trans, which would make it the better choice if you want to go big.
i think the 4 cyl is fine for 31s-33s, you wouldnt like it on the freeway though. i ran 31x11.5 swampers on mine, no lift, very minor trimming, pulled out the swaybar and rear track bar. I think 32s would have worked too, little more trimming. one of the reasons i became a yj fan, as the coil sprung jeeps will rub more, and eat through suspension bushings.
you can get the unibody rigs dirt cheap though if they strike your fancy. the right cherokee is hard to beat.:beer:

either way, both options are tough as far as motors go. If you go with a six, Make sure you get an AX-15 with an external slave. Just makes things alot easier in the clutch department.

Im a big fan of the straight six/AX15 combo. But like Dodgers said, its all preference.

Aaron, Jimmy is still running the straight six, ax15, and 231 (with a teralow kit) right? And hes on 39.5 iroks, full width with i think 4.88's

One question. How old are you?

I'm 39 and I just recently swapped from a stick to auto. One of the reasons was because my knee would be worn out after a day of wheeling with a stick. I totally love the automatic now, and it's perfect for rock crawling.

I would get the 4.0 motor. I have owned three different jeeps and they all eventually ended up with an auto. I currently run the 4.0 with some mods and an AW4 auto from a cherokee with a flipped dana 300 behind it with 4.88s on 37s.

either way, both options are tough as far as motors go. If you go with a six, Make sure you get an AX-15 with an external slave. Just makes things alot easier in the clutch department.

Im a big fan of the straight six/AX15 combo. But like Dodgers said, its all preference.

Aaron, Jimmy is still running the straight six, ax15, and 231 (with a teralow kit) right? And hes on 39.5 iroks, full width with i think 4.88's

Yes, jim still has a mostly stock drivetrain ( although he may be 4.56 gears, the stockers for his 14 bolt)....if it ain't broke....don't fix it.

The AX5 Manual transmission behind the 2.5 is junk...but it's behind a little motor so it's not that big a deal.

Lift
Get as little lift as needed. for 31s and a newer wrangler, you don't even really need to go past stock. Trim some fenders or put on a 1" body lift. Seriously, don't lift your COG. I run 37s with 4" of lift. Trim before lift.

Engine
I6 is the way to go. If you can get an edge programmer, thats icing on the cake. Don't get the 4cyl.

Trans
The 4speed 42RLE is a nice upgrade if you have a newer wrangler. The AW5 is a bulletproof auto and also works great with a the I6. The advantage of Auto over stick is you won't end up stalling every few minutes, and on harder stuff potentially flubbing a line because you roll back. Having a stick is better if you don't plan on going to a 4:1 t-case and/or re-gearing. The 1st gear will always have a better ratio than an auto.

Get the I 6 91 or newer as stated, that highoutput makes bit of a difference. And im still young so i like the manual, is more fun to drive for me.

Just put a 2.5" lift on our 91 and some 33's and its going to need a bit of triming but i like how low it is. And i think if i had the 4cyl i would be looking into re-gearing it. Power is actually pretty good on the 33's with the I 6.

And wahtever you do get an external slave, i just spent 6 hours the other day ripping the tranny out just to replace the slave cylinder which would have taken me 5 mins on my yota...it really wasnt that hard but without a car lift or tranny jack its a bitch. I ended up using a cherry picker through the cab.

And wahtever you do get an external slave, i just spent 6 hours the other day ripping the tranny out just to replace the slave cylinder which would have taken me 5 mins on my yota...it really wasnt that hard but without a car lift or tranny jack its a bitch. I ended up using a cherry picker through the cab.

Yeah if you go the i-6 ax-15 combo the external slave is key.

AW-5 is definitely a strong trans for an auto though. Its always a preference thing on Auto Vs. Stick. Everyone argues about one being tougher but it all comes down to preference.

I have the 4.0l and 42rle auto trans. nice it has overdrive but it always tries to go into od too early. 3" suspension lift and 35" tires, 1" body lift, no trimming yet but will need to do the rear a little. If you get a manual trans with the internal slave you can always change it over later, the trans is the same. The NV3550 is a stronger trans but only came in a couple years. If you are driving the Jeep on the freeway, 6cyl but if it is a dedicated wheeler the 4cylinder would be ok. The only drawback to the auto trans is poor mileage, about 5-6 mpg less than manual trans.

very good advice in this tread for recreational wheeling. The one change is i prefer the manual 5 speed if i am driving just gravel roads, on highway to and from like hunting, and winter driving on pavement in the snow.

So what do you want to use this jeep for?

4.0l I6 and an auto. Perfect for me, but I'm old.

A re-gear is your best friend if you ever plan on going down a steep hill with larger tires.

I am stoked to find this thread.
Looking at trading my truck for a Jeep!
cheers
Keep it going!!!
I am an auto fan anyway,So I hope I end up with one...