• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jet Mill/Drill

superglock

Has anyone used one? I know its not a real mill but for around the shop are they worth owning? My drill press died and when you price out a diecent one the price makes me think of upgrading to the mill/drill. Any advice would help.

Hey Superglock,
Yea, I have one. Mine is over 15 years old and was sold as a Grizzly Industrial brand model #G1006. Paid $950 for it then "scratch and dent" at Grizzly. You can't beat it for the money. I run the wheels off mine; its the only mill I have and I've made a lot of parts with it.

They are heavy and rigid and thats more important than anything else. A good machinist can compensate for about any flaw in a machine tool, but if you have flex and chatter becaue your machine has no mass to it your done. Also, you'd have to crash it very hard to break a casting (I never have).

I tinkered with mine a fair ammount after I got it to shim out the backlash and true up the center column; its worth your time to do that. With patience, I've been able to work down to tenth's (.0001) with mine when necessary.

The only thing that a little poor is the down feed: accuracy is a little difficult. But you can work around it, just a little extra time and sweat.

I have several grizzly tools including a well used engine lathe. The quality controll of these import tools is not too good in that the quality can vary a lot. Look over the castings for cold lap "nit" lines that indicate weak points, cracks and factory weld repairs. If all looks good you have a good machine.

I don't know if you know about Grizzly. They are a huge world world wide distributor for import tools. They have two distribution centers in the USA, one of them happens to be in Bellingham. They have a big show room there and you can buy direct without shipping. It's worth a sick day to drive up there and snoop around: you'll be sportin' wood.
Grizzly also has very good part support. I crashed my rotary table and they had a replacemant ring gear waiting for me as soon as I could get up there. As you can tell I'm pretty happy with the outfit.

That said its still no Bridgeport.

to the guy above

doesnt that mill allow u to move the table up, instead of the head.

Also grizzly is of the lower end stuff, but unless your running a machine shop you wont need much more of a machine than that

Last edited:
Jakes89f150,
Your thinking of a Knee mill where the table rests on a "knee" that slides up and down on dove tails and is supported by a big jack screw. Thats the expensive stuff. The G1006 is a glorified drill press style mill. Take a look at the Grizzly on-line catalog. Yes, its imported (cheap), but... dollar for dollar you can't beat it.

Tigtorch, u are correct on grizzly being best for the money.
But me personally if i was looking for a machine id check around for used first.
From the picture i saw of that grizzly mill/drill it does look fairly riged, and as for accuracy of the down feed that can easily be over come by using a test indicator, or dial indicator. Check travers, MSC, grizzly and harbor freight for pricing.
Anyway one thing i dont like about it is that the head isnt adjustable side to side, Thus u cant trim the head in.

Have u ever checked the runout on yours Tig?

Hey Jakes,
Good observation, and your right: it's one more point that you need to set.

The vertical column that supports the head is bolted down with four bolts to the machine base just behind the table. Take a test indicator and an Indicol and sweep the table in a circle. Once you learm what you need to do, shim the base of the column where it bolts on with .002, .003 and .005 shim stock as necesary to true the spindle to the table.

You can get nuts with this: I've even take .005 stock and peened it to work out .0002 thickness. Your test indicator will tell you exactly what you need to do.

You can make it a sweet machine but you will have to play with it. Its $950 vs $15,000 for a Bridgeport. That said, Its not for everybody.

I have looked at used machines. There an out fit named Haliday tool in seattle. You can check them out.

Last edited: