• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

John G, Gone but never Forgotten...

Re:

He broke solo buggy that trip and told them he was done for the week and that he was gonna pack up the RV and call it. They called him out on having 2 buggies and they ended up loading Solo onto their trailer and hauling it to his house and getting 38 Special. I believe he ended up giving them all turns to ride in 38 Special and that was just another one of their highlights of the week.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bad80cj said:
Harlan! Damn cold tent camping. He and Nan offered for me to sleep on the couch but I refused. John trying to take a picture of me and I thought he was trying to get a panoramic pic so I was trying to get out of the way.

This trip is the first time I met a bunch of you, including John. You were making me cold watching you in shorts that day. I finally got you to take a jacket. That was a great weekend despite the rain and me almost ripping my thumb off. Went back to John's motor home to cut up rags and tie my thumb in place. Then he broke out a mason jar for the pain. :dblthumb:
I've since been around him 3 or 4 times and he treated me like he's known me forever and always asked status of the thumb. molaugh

The last.time I saw him was GMP ride. He had recently become a "half ass" and was joking about it. He slipped and fell right on his ass that day. Laid there a bit and took a break. He got up and my wife gave him some Tylenol or Advil. Point being, he rode the rest of the day with us and I remember she and I talking about how bad it would hurt to fall down on that areao so soon after surgery and radiation. Tough and dedicated to wheelin that is for sure.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
He broke solo buggy that trip and told them he was done for the week and that he was gonna pack up the RV and call it. They called him out on having 2 buggies and they ended up loading Solo onto their trailer and hauling it to his house and getting 38 Special. I believe he ended up giving them all turns to ride in 38 Special and that was just another one of their highlights of the week.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yep. I think he broke at HPO and was not going to go to Choccolocco with them. But took 38.

I am not too certain how many times John burned the tires off of Solo Buggy, but here is a little video proof. John never got out of the top of this hill without winching and it burned his tail. It was on his southern trails list of ones to go back and get. This was an especially sloppy ride and there were just a few of us that made the trip. This was the first trip out the top of YouTube Hill.

http://youtu.be/ofbGV8RV4QQ

lowbudgetjunk said:
I am not too certain how many times John burned the tires off of Solo Buggy, but here is a little video proof. John never got out of the top of this hill without winching and it burned his tail. It was on his southern trails list of ones to go back and get. This was an especially sloppy ride and there were just a few of us that made the trip. This was the first trip out the top of YouTube Hill.

http://youtu.be/ofbGV8RV4QQ

Come to think of it, other than that trail, I have only seen John attempt one other trail that he has not made and that was at Mayhem when it was raining like crazy and slicker than Bat snot. Me, John, Cole and a few others even tried and we could not even get off the bottom of the trail. :****:

Re:

He was certainly frustrated that day. Got denied on Hello Kitty too. Youtube hill, Solo was starting to get hot he beat on it so much.

https://youtu.be/aXHnEvL0oJE

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

bad80cj said:
Harlan! Damn cold tent camping. He and Nan offered for me to sleep on the couch but I refused. John trying to take a picture of me and I thought he was trying to get a panoramic pic so I was trying to get out of the way.

I didn't know this was you but I think you took a bad fall there in lions den, good think you had that helmet on. everything that weekend was wet, slick, and no sunshine could be bought

I only knew John on here and seeing him at a few parks. I keep expecting a final fair well post from him somehow because he was always so well organized and that he would want everybody to know he is ok. You know just another one of those things that only JohnG would do or could do.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I can go to the extreme from time to time. Too much drinking has happened, too much work has happened, pushing to get things done instead of sleeping. John saw it to and I am guessing he was doing kindness to help me out.

I was looking for a bush hog and JohnG said he had one I could just have. I argued that I would pay something, and he wasn't having it. I had just finished up a brutal week of work, been up late nights working on my tractor, working on my truck and I was exhausted. All my posts on HL made no sense and I agreed to pick in the bush hog in the morning, an hour plus drive from the house. Rolling in to Johns house, I back the truck and trailer past his motorhome and in between his shop and trailer. I was super tired and was very deliberate with my driving. It took a few minutes longer to back it perfect, but I was tired and for sure not hitting anything valuable for the day.

John helped load it up, I cinched it down, tried to pay him and was about to set off. He said let me show you something and started on the tour of his shop. If you haven't been there, it is an absolute treat. Organized, cool, like a JohnG museum. He told me stories of things his mother had saved, and where he had gotten toys and rode this there and so forth and so on. I was tired and ready to go, kinda rushing towards the door to get going. For some reason, John kept slowing it down. He didn't want me to leave yet and if you spent any time with him, he had a way of getting what he wanted.

I think I spent another 3-4 hours talking with him. Might have only been two, my mind was a little fuzzy, but it was just great conversation about life. Slowing down to enjoy some things, taking care of myself, loving my wife and kids. Why would this man do this? He didn't owe me anything and just gave me a bush hog. It took a while to wrap my head around it and it has helped to me stay truer to some Christian beliefs I hold dear. A lot of people say they are Christian and do very little to show it. It doesn't have to be praying together or going to church together. Sometimes, it can be a little nudge in the right direction, it can be kind words, sometimes it can be removing fireball from ones grasp and handing them a Dasani. Sometimes, it can be helping a struggling man, wrapped up in his own thoughts, take a step back and realize he needs to ease up. Sometimes, it is listening to someone ramble about nonsense until it is all out and backfilling that void space with some wisdom and knowledge from someone that has been there before. I told myself I would not cry anymore about this man, he is in a better place, but this memory hits hard and was integral in me taking a step back from work.

I quit working in August of 2015. I still own my store but took a pay cut to spend more time with my kids, wife and friends. A huge portion of that decision came from that very conversation, most of it sitting on a very warm steel deck trailer, in Johns back yard. I made time for my kids, have been more loving towards my wife and I have been able to make more rides (though with less money to fix my junk) all because of the decision to step back. As well, I was blessed with a lot of spare time. When John got sick, I made it a point to repay him for helping me through my tough times. I went to see him every chance I got, sent him flowers in the hospital and tried not to be around too much. I may not have been blood related, but John was family to me.

Ramble, ramble. My eyes are so watery I can't hardly type. Knowing he is looking down and I have 20 projects to go, I am going to get up off the couch and to work on my truck. I know John would be proud if I finished up one project today.

Very well said and felt Kel. thumb.gif

I loved his sig line "Retired: I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and I go to bed at night with only half of it done!" There was a lot more meaning in it than just the humor in my opinion. :indianajones:

lowbudgetjunk said:
Anyone that knows me, knows that I can go to the extreme from time to time. Too much drinking has happened, too much work has happened, pushing to get things done instead of sleeping. John saw it to and I am guessing he was doing kindness to help me out.

I was looking for a bush hog and JohnG said he had one I could just have. I argued that I would pay something, and he wasn't having it. I had just finished up a brutal week of work, been up late nights working on my tractor, working on my truck and I was exhausted. All my posts on HL made no sense and I agreed to pick in the bush hog in the morning, an hour plus drive from the house. Rolling in to Johns house, I back the truck and trailer past his motorhome and in between his shop and trailer. I was super tired and was very deliberate with my driving. It took a few minutes longer to back it perfect, but I was tired and for sure not hitting anything valuable for the day.

John helped load it up, I cinched it down, tried to pay him and was about to set off. He said let me show you something and started on the tour of his shop. If you haven't been there, it is an absolute treat. Organized, cool, like a JohnG museum. He told me stories of things his mother had saved, and where he had gotten toys and rode this there and so forth and so on. I was tired and ready to go, kinda rushing towards the door to get going. For some reason, John kept slowing it down. He didn't want me to leave yet and if you spent any time with him, he had a way of getting what he wanted.

I think I spent another 3-4 hours talking with him. Might have only been two, my mind was a little fuzzy, but it was just great conversation about life. Slowing down to enjoy some things, taking care of myself, loving my wife and kids. Why would this man do this? He didn't owe me anything and just gave me a bush hog. It took a while to wrap my head around it and it has helped to me stay truer to some Christian beliefs I hold dear. A lot of people say they are Christian and do very little to show it. It doesn't have to be praying together or going to church together. Sometimes, it can be a little nudge in the right direction, it can be kind words, sometimes it can be removing fireball from ones grasp and handing them a Dasani. Sometimes, it can be helping a struggling man, wrapped up in his own thoughts, take a step back and realize he needs to ease up. Sometimes, it is listening to someone ramble about nonsense until it is all out and backfilling that void space with some wisdom and knowledge from someone that has been there before. I told myself I would not cry anymore about this man, he is in a better place, but this memory hits hard and was integral in me taking a step back from work.

I quit working in August of 2015. I still own my store but took a pay cut to spend more time with my kids, wife and friends. A huge portion of that decision came from that very conversation, most of it sitting on a very warm steel deck trailer, in Johns back yard. I made time for my kids, have been more loving towards my wife and I have been able to make more rides (though with less money to fix my junk) all because of the decision to step back. As well, I was blessed with a lot of spare time. When John got sick, I made it a point to repay him for helping me through my tough times. I went to see him every chance I got, sent him flowers in the hospital and tried not to be around too much. I may not have been blood related, but John was family to me.

Ramble, ramble. My eyes are so watery I can't hardly type. Knowing he is looking down and I have 20 projects to go, I am going to get up off the couch and to work on my truck. I know John would be proud if I finished up one project today.

Very well said. I was only around him for serval day at the hardline but the First thing I noticed was his way with words.

Yes well said about John G Kell.

xjkrawler said:

I took a few pictures of the WFO Trail at Chocco durin the Santa Crawls event the other day...I only watched John climb it one time in the Froglegs buggy a few years ago...it was too dark to even get my camera out so I don't have any pictures...but I know the way he talked about it that it was one of his favorite hillclimb trails.

ScottsPics said:
Yes well said about John G Kell.

I took a few pictures of the WFO Trail at Chocco durin the Santa Crawls event the other day...I only watched John climb it one time in the Froglegs buggy a few years ago...it was too dark to even get my camera out so I don't have any pictures...but I know the way he talked about it that it was one of his favorite hillclimb trails.

His patience killed me, the Man had more than I will ever have. :****:

Another day, another reminder of a friend I miss. I got into a text battle with Nan and lost. I brought my A game and tried to be supportive, helpful and lastly offer up a shoulder if she needed it. Nan brought her A+ game, just as John usually did and she showed me up. I won't post texts, but she and John deserved each other. All the lessons he taught her, she taught him one better, or at least on par. She has a way of making me reach further, love my wife, kids and family more and be happy with the days that I have.

Something I will share is my paraphrase of her thoughts on marriage. Divorce is not an option. Love changes throughout life, it should be your goal to make it work. Though the flowers of love can be beautiful and smell so sweet, the garden has weeds and the flowers have thorns. Weed the garden, pull off the thorns and enjoy smell and beauty of the petals.

Another day, another reminder......another smile that was helped along by Mr. JohnG.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Another day, another reminder of a friend I miss. I got into a text battle with Nan and lost. I brought my A game and tried to be supportive, helpful and lastly offer up a shoulder if she needed it. Nan brought her A+ game, just as John usually did and she showed me up. I won't post texts, but she and John deserved each other. All the lessons he taught her, she taught him one better, or at least on par. She has a way of making me reach further, love my wife, kids and family more and be happy with the days that I have.

Something I will share is my paraphrase of her thoughts on marriage. Divorce is not an option. Love changes throughout life, it should be your goal to make it work. Though the flowers of love can be beautiful and smell so sweet, the garden has weeds and the flowers have thorns. Weed the garden, pull off the thorns and enjoy smell and beauty of the petals.

Another day, another reminder......another smile that was helped along by Mr. JohnG.
That's good stuff right there! John g was definitely a wise man that anyone could learn ALOT from. You Just Had To Hang Out And listen.

lowbudgetjunk said:

Thank You for sharing.

LandSpeeder said:
Not sure if ya'll saw the site's homepage today...
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/

Thanks MattO.

I truly miss John. As the days pass, my heart aches more. We didn't talk every day, sometimes not even every week. So now that it's been months... it's hard.

Looks like the HPO ride. First time I met the man that weekend. Right off the bat I could tell he was the kind of person that if you hung around long enough, you'd learn a lot about life.

LandSpeeder said:
Not sure if ya'll saw the site's homepage today...
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/

Thanks MattO.

I truly miss John. As the days pass, my heart aches more. We didn't talk every day, sometimes not even every week. So now that it's been months... it's hard.

I logged in once yesterday with Cole's buggy, then once with JohnG, and now back to Cole's buggy again.