• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

John G, Gone but never Forgotten...

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
We wanted to start a thread for everyone to post up their memories and good times with JohnG. John G was one of the first members of this club and has been a moderator of the forum for as long as I can remember. I have no idea how he did it on his own, but he did and did it well. He loved this forum and met many great friends through it.

In the early days of Hardline, the club traveled a lot. Some of the first rides were in Windrock, Tellico, Monteagle, and Harlan. The club was small and not everyone could travel for rides, so it sometimes was just the two of us. On one occasion, John and I traveled to Clayton, OK. I had been there several times, it still is my favorite place to wheel. We rode for 3 full days. Nobody broke and we rarely stopped except for lunch. On the last day we ran the hardest trail, Slim's Slope. To put it in perspective, the trail was about 3/4 of a mile and it took us all day to run with no breakage. I have ridden almost every park in the SE and all the trails at the Hammers several times, but this trail is still the hardest trail I have ever been on. John was in the old single seater. He ran the entire trail and had to pull cable once to make it up a 20 ft waterfall. It was insane what he could do with that buggy. I was in my old TJ and had to pull cable about a million times. We both spotted for each other back and forth, John clearly had to work harder than me though! It was a great trip, one that I will never forget.

Thought I'd start a thread in remembrance of the legacy he has left and the stories we all can share of how he impacted our lives. One year I got a baby shower invitation from him in December and I thought, what the hell is this, so I opened it. It was an invite to his annual Christmas party! I laughed my ass off and asked him what that was all about and he told me he went to Walgreens and bought all of their random marked down cards that had been sitting on the shelf. So some of us got baby shower announcements, some "Just thinking about you" some Happy Easter, some Graduation cards. Pretty damn funny.

So here's one of my many fondest memories with John. We were at the last Fall For All ride at GrayRock and about lunch time on Saturday John says "come one, we are going on a road trip" So I asked him where we were going and he said "time to pick up the .38 Special" I could not have been more excited to help him out but I knew my Hummer would not pull his trailer, so I asked Mike George if I could borrow his GMC diesel truck, Mike said yes but he wanted to go as well. Next thing I know is I'm driving Mikes truck pulling John's trailer with John riding shotgun and Mike and Jerry Hillis in the back seat on the way to Murfreesboro to get the .38. I have never laughed so hard as Mike and Jerry put down a metric **** ton of beers and had us laughing our asses off. So we finally arrive at Adams and the buggy is not finished and Adam is pushed to leave for KOH in the morning. We spent the entire night finishing up the buggy enough to get it on the trailer and back to Birmingham. We finally rolled out of Adams at about 4:00 a.m. and had to make another beer stop for the Live entertainment in the back seat and after 15 stops to let them pee on the highway, we rolled into GrayRock with the .38 Special. John was like a kid at Christmas when he opened the rear door and rolled out the .38 Special in front of a huge crowd. His dream was unfolding in front of him for all of his friends to witness. His smile was priceless. He was so excited to answer every question and shake every hand and all I could do was stand there and admire the Man and his Machine. He deserved it.

So let's hear some of your funniest, or greatest memories of your time with John G.

Here is one pic of him at the Hardline rige in Harlan had more but the fog was so bad then the pics were not much

Come on guys, 294 views and Matt, Myself and jp fan are the only ones to hang around John? Let's hear them. :driving: :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
Come on guys, 294 views and Matt, Myself and jp fan are the only ones to hang around John? Let's hear them. :driving: :dblthumb:

I dont have a full on story but several camp fire and wheeling adventures where he was always giving me crap not taking the hard line and having rockwells.

It would take me an hour to type about our many discussions but it was always camp fire talk. He was always one to tell you his opinions and how he really felt about things around the fire passing the shine. But everyone knows he was only very out spoken then so that's where I will leave it.

Re: Re: John G, Gone but never Forgotten...

CHASMAN9 said:
Too much to type, will post later. :dblthumb:

I only got to ride with him and his wife once this year at choccolocca, for the 4th of July. It's was first time I met him, and he talked to me like he had known me for years. I wish I would have had more chances to ride with John.

I do remember catching an earful from him this year at the mym bash. Well really it was after. I called him to thank him for staying out and talking Casey through winching my buggy over on backside. The staying up late wasn't the issue it was me and Steve o hauling ass back to camp with my buggy on fire. Had to stop like 3 times and pour beer on it. I don't know if john or my ol lady were more pissed.

Good times!

JohnG....where to begin...
I had the pleasure of riding with him at Grayrock in 2005 with a pretty cool group. Back then he was not so much a finesse driver of sorts, and was not scared of the skinny pedal.
I met him back in the King of the Hill days and always tried to get to ride with the OG Hardliners...I would stalk him, MattO and P but we'd always be on different trails at the parks.

My latest counseling from him was in this thread: http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=39183.0 and various PM's after, including resetting my password to something only JohnG would do...
The last face to face I had with him was at Randy Kings memorial ride at HPO.
I regret not attending the HL rides and being able to hang out more.
John, we didn't see eye to eye on a few things, but friendship was always there.
Thank you for the pep talks, guidance, and peace you offered. You'll be missed sir.
#takethehardline
ffe914e7a613fc936f6b34e1b6b247d8.jpg

I remember Scott lag, Keith bailey aND myself getting hammered in John Gs rv the night before king of the hill. Hate to say it but the last time I saw John was I believe one of the last Feb Jams at Hale mtn when he and several others parked at my farm. Had I known it would of been my last, I'd said more to him.

I only got to see him once on the trail. It was at V-notch at MM and we were watching all the buggies play around on it. He was in the old single seat and came cruising up it, turned around went down and did it again. After he walked all over it he went and parked and was laughing and cutting up with everyone giving a couple guys hell for beating their buggies and bouncing up it. The next day I broke over on the Los Primos side on a rock and was basically blocking the trail trying to fix my ****, him and a group came rolling through and he stopped and asked if we needed anything and you could tell he truly meant it. Wish I could have known him better. Hardline aint gonna be the same.

I briefly talked with John a few times at shamrock and RBD's over the years, but really only had the pleasure of wheeling with him once at Mountainside, part of which was him winching my xj on 33's out of Slip N Slide after a rear driveshaft decided it had had enough. He always seemed willing to talk or help whenever he was around.
RIP JohnG

Re:

My first interaction with JohnG was one I never took the opportunity to tell him. It was a February Frenzy and it was cold. I can't recollect if it was raining or if it was just wet at the top of Bents and Dents. At any rate, I was taking some pictures of buggies from the top when this fire breathing purple Jeep pops out the top, hits the gas and covers me in mud. I find out a little later that it was John Galbreath Jr. I met, who I thought was John Galbreath Sr, so I was nice to him and figured I would chew his sons ass later. It took me almost 2 years to figure out he didn't have a son and he was the son of a bitch I was looking for. At that point, he was too nice a guy for me to ever bring up the initial meeting, but it always made me smile a little to myself that I knew something he didn't.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Those old pics from Mountainside bring back some memories! That's where I first met JohnG. I clearly remember always being amazed watching him walk everything there in that old single seater.

I know I've told this story a few times, but the first time I actually met him was one night at Mountainside after me Chad and no telling who else had been wheeling there all day. I know I was shooting the **** with Scott Lang and can't remember if Bob Youmans was there that night or not, but we were over around JohnG's RV and I pretty much introduced my extremely drunken self by catching one of his camp chairs with my fake leg that had a side table on it where 3 open jars of moonshine sat....knocked them all over into the dirt! What a party foul! I immediately apologized and the way I usually am I may have offered to pay for the spilled moonshine, I don't recall a whole lot that night. I do remember him never being a **** to me about it, heckled the **** out of me, but was forgiving. It became a funny inside joke mentioned several times over the next several times I would talk to him at various rides.

I loved wheeling with John in small groups of capable rigs. We would always move through obstacles swiftly and cover a lot of ground, which made for much more fun and satisfied my adhd with sitting still too long on the trail. The last ride I took the red baron to before I sold it was the Golden Ticket ride at Gray Rock. As soon as I got there, John saw me unloading and stopped by in solo buggy and said "hurry up, were about to go ride the backside (or whatever it's called) of the park." So I hurried and unloaded, and caught up with him, TK, Lucas (Gizmo), Ben Bone, and some others. Anyways, John showed me around like a tour guide. It was important to him that I see all the cool spots on that side of the park, as I had never been over there before. He was leading and would drop out of line to tell me to follow him over to this or that to show me stuff. I am kinda the same way when I take someone to some place new and want them to get the full experience and see all the cool spots, so these gestures meant a lot to me. Ha, just realized my first and last ride in the red baron was at Gray Rock.

I got tired of breaking Longfields in my front FJ80 axle and was about to drop the coin on some RCV's, so I listed an AR15 with a bunch of ammo, mags, and a case for sell on here and JohnG wanted to buy it. I made a special trip down one weekend to his house to deliver the firearm, as I was in a hurry to get those RCV's ordered and was using the gun money to do so. I arrived at his house and he text me and said he would be there in a minute, he was out in the woods riding on his sxs. He pulled up, we chatted, and shortly thereafter, TK and Rich Berry pulled up. We all sat there shooting the ****, heard a few one leg jokes (which I always appreciate Lol), then Rich and TK left. John then began to show me around his place. Showed me his shop and all his badass rides, the badass back deck built on his shop overlooking the wooded ridge behind it. Showed me the dock down by the creek below his house, then up by the pool/back patio and into the basement. He showed me his vintage Harley, little dirt track car (can't remember what they are called, etc.). Such a hospitable guy, proud of what he had, but not the least bit braggadocious. I really enjoyed the grand tour and the shop chat. I bet I was there for 3 hours or longer and on the way I figured it would be a simple drop gun off, get paid, and make the 1.5 hour drive back home.

I am actually thinking about contacting Nan to see if he still had that gun, as I would love to offer to buy it back as a piece of memorabilia to hang on to.

I rode (or tried to ride) with John a few different times since I sold the crawler and got the Ranger, but couldn't keep up with him for very long Lol (can't wait to get back into a capable crawl rig). One of the last times I rode with him was at Choccolocco for the MYM bash this year and when I approached him, I noticed he lost a good bit of weight, and looked healthy. I said "damn John, you are trimming up and making me look bad". Then we soon after found out about his health issues.

During this time of reflection, I really didn't realize I had rode with John so many times over the past 6 years. I am able to remember them all very clearly because he always made it an enjoyable experience. I am very thankful for his friendship, and he has impacted my life greatly. I was bitching on Facebook one time about how tough an Accounting class was that I was taking online, and he commented immediately on it and said "buckle down and learn it, you will use it the rest of your life"....so that's exactly what I did. I absolutely loved his "no room for bullshit excuses" attitude and I now try to approach things in my own life like that more.

I remember when I was first getting to know John, he or somebody posted in God knows which thread, a picture of him and Nan at a Halloween party and he had on a shirt with a huge "P" on the front of it and what I assume was a giant dildo hanging out of his zipper....he went as a Peacock or "P-cock"...clever. It was then I was like "Holy hell, I like this guy. Business when need be, and party when able. The baby shower invite mentioned above is some majorly classic ****, I will have to remember that one for one day.

I could go on typing forever about who is probably the most driven man I've ever met. I could live to be 150 and probably still not achieve and do half of the things he done in his life. Live every day like it's your last one and never pass on an opportunity to travel, see new things, do new things, and make memories. Hardline will never be the same without JohnG popping in and heckling us in random threads. Anyways, it's difficult to quit typing so I will just end this post here... RIP JohnG, you are missed by many.

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
My first interaction with JohnG was one I never took the opportunity to tell him. It was a February Frenzy and it was cold. I can't recollect if it was raining or if it was just wet at the top of Bents and Dents. At any rate, I was taking some pictures of buggies from the top when this fire breathing purple Jeep pops out the top, hits the gas and covers me in mud. I find out a little later that it was John Galbreath Jr. I met, who I thought was John Galbreath Sr, so I was nice to him and figured I would chew his sons ass later. It took me almost 2 years to figure out he didn't have a son and he was the son of a bitch I was looking for. At that point, he was too nice a guy for me to ever bring up the initial meeting, but it always made me smile a little to myself that I knew something he didn't.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Haha, that's a good story!

TacomaJD said:
Those old pics from Mountainside bring back some memories! That's where I first met JohnG. I clearly remember always being amazed watching him walk everything there in that old single seater.

I know I've told this story a few times, but the first time I actually met him was one night at Mountainside after me Chad and no telling who else had been wheeling there all day. I know I was shooting the **** with Scott Lang and can't remember if Bob Youmans was there that night or not, but we were over around JohnG's RV and I pretty much introduced my extremely drunken self by catching one of his camp chairs with my fake leg that had a side table on it where 3 open jars of moonshine sat....knocked them all over into the dirt! What a party foul! I immediately apologized and the way I usually am I may have offered to pay for the spilled moonshine, I don't recall a whole lot that night. I do remember him never being a **** to me about it, heckled the **** out of me, but was forgiving. It became a funny inside joke mentioned several times over the next several times I would talk to him at various rides.

I loved wheeling with John in small groups of capable rigs. We would always move through obstacles swiftly and cover a lot of ground, which made for much more fun and satisfied my adhd with sitting still too long on the trail. The last ride I took the red baron to before I sold it was the Golden Ticket ride at Gray Rock. As soon as I got there, John saw me unloading and stopped by in solo buggy and said "hurry up, were about to go ride the backside (or whatever it's called) of the park." So I hurried and unloaded, and caught up with him, TK, Lucas (Gizmo), Ben Bone, and some others. Anyways, John showed me around like a tour guide. It was important to him that I see all the cool spots on that side of the park, as I had never been over there before. He was leading and would drop out of line to tell me to follow him over to this or that to show me stuff. I am kinda the same way when I take someone to some place new and want them to get the full experience and see all the cool spots, so these gestures meant a lot to me. Ha, just realized my first and last ride in the red baron was at Gray Rock.

I got tired of breaking Longfields in my front FJ80 axle and was about to drop the coin on some RCV's, so I listed an AR15 with a bunch of ammo, mags, and a case for sell on here and JohnG wanted to buy it. I made a special trip down one weekend to his house to deliver the firearm, as I was in a hurry to get those RCV's ordered and was using the gun money to do so. I arrived at his house and he text me and said he would be there in a minute, he was out in the woods riding on his sxs. He pulled up, we chatted, and shortly thereafter, TK and Rich Berry pulled up. We all sat there shooting the ****, heard a few one leg jokes (which I always appreciate Lol), then Rich and TK left. John then began to show me around his place. Showed me his shop and all his badass rides, the badass back deck built on his shop overlooking the wooded ridge behind it. Showed me the dock down by the creek below his house, then up by the pool/back patio and into the basement. He showed me his vintage Harley, little dirt track car (can't remember what they are called, etc.). Such a hospitable guy, proud of what he had, but not the least bit braggadocious. I really enjoyed the grand tour and the shop chat. I bet I was there for 3 hours or longer and on the way I figured it would be a simple drop gun off, get paid, and make the 1.5 hour drive back home.

I am actually thinking about contacting Nan to see if he still had that gun, as I would love to offer to buy it back as a piece of memorabilia to hang on to.

I rode (or tried to ride) with John a few different times since I sold the crawler and got the Ranger, but couldn't keep up with him for very long Lol (can't wait to get back into a capable crawl rig). One of the last times I rode with him was at Choccolocco for the MYM bash this year and when I approached him, I noticed he lost a good bit of weight, and looked healthy. I said "damn John, you are trimming up and making me look bad". Then we soon after found out about his health issues.

During this time of reflection, I really didn't realize I had rode with John so many times over the past 6 years. I am able to remember them all very clearly because he always made it an enjoyable experience. I am very thankful for his friendship, and he has impacted my life greatly. I was bitching on Facebook one time about how tough an Accounting class was that I was taking online, and he commented immediately on it and said "buckle down and learn it, you will use it the rest of your life"....so that's exactly what I did. I absolutely loved his "no room for bullshit excuses" attitude and I now try to approach things in my own life like that more.

I remember when I was first getting to know John, he or somebody posted in God knows which thread, a picture of him and Nan at a Halloween party and he had on a shirt with a huge "P" on the front of it and what I assume was a giant dildo hanging out of his zipper....he went as a Peacock or "P-cock"...clever. It was then I was like "Holy hell, I like this guy. Business when need be, and party when able. The baby shower invite mentioned above is some majorly classic ****, I will have to remember that one for one day.

I could go on typing forever about who is probably the most driven man I've ever met. I could live to be 150 and probably still not achieve and do half of the things he done in his life. Live every day like it's your last one and never pass on an opportunity to travel, see new things, do new things, and make memories. Hardline will never be the same without JohnG popping in and heckling us in random threads. Anyways, it's difficult to quit typing so I will just end this post here... RIP JohnG, you are missed by many.

Good story sounds like a lot of dam good Unforgettable memories

I mean, who didn't know John G... I knew of him through Cole's Video's way back in the day taking lines I had never seen anyone take.

But my first interaction was years after knowing his famous video status with him at RBD2010. He had literally just bought his latest coach. Matthew Terry and I were the first to get there that year, Thursday afternoon. We set up camp, and decided to wheel. Upon our return to camp, we see a massive diesel pusher coach in half of our previously set up camp. He tells us he had never parked there apparently but had scouted it weeks before, but that was the beginning of "JohnG's LEVEL Spot"...
Thanks Gizmo for the same year's pic...

15241303_10154754799717421_2590098322346988588_n.jpg

I have way too many stories about the man who lived the best life I had the privilege of calling a personal friend. Hell last year, last Christmas day, I was cruising around McCalla looking at For Sale Properties. He had rode shotgun a few times with me pointing out FSBO's, and I he texted me something. Upon replying I was cruising properties, he immediately called me and had me pick him up cause "No one should be cruisin' properties by themselves on Christmas!".

I miss those rides where we just drove around Birmingham. I miss the rides where we drove around Chocco, MM, Stony, HPO. This past year has sucked BIG TIME without him like he had been the two previous years. I truly got spoiled.
After RDB2010, He was ALWAYS there before I got there and always came out to help get me parked. Once pulling in to my spot at Chocco, my coach got twisted up, and my windshield popped out of one corner.
"Did it pop out bad??" John asked.
I stick my entire arm out through the hole, "Is this bad?!"

On weekends we had no wheeling plans, he would text me, "What are we doing to your truck this weekend?" as if to say, YOU'RE WRENCHING on your junk in my shop. Heart of Gold. Or should I say, Purple...

You guys remember, I believe Dixie run 2015, John posted " I'll be there but won't be able to ride much". I camped right beside him. He left camp Thursday morning and I don't believe he came back to camp but a couple times the whole week. That's how tough he was and how much he liked wheeling.

Always sad to lose anyone close to us. I really don't have any stories. He PMd me one time to help me with the new version of an app on my phone.

I said thanks and that everyone had told me he was a ****, but they were wrong. Lol

I looked over at his camp a dozen times at Dixie run 15'. Never saw the guy. I never got to meet him.

I got the feeling he was a good guy