• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Killer dowl pin question

JAWS

Ive herd mixed opions about when they changed and fixed the problem!!!

I have a 99 Cummins 24v will my Dodge need it fixed or am i ok?

The killer dowel pin is primarily an issue with the B series/12 valve engines , but I have seen reports of it happening to ISB/24 valve engines all the way up to the 2002 model year as well. It appears to be so uncommon on the 24 valve engines that I doubt I would worry about it much.

The killer dowel pin is primarily an issue with the B series/12 valve engines , but I have seen reports of it happening to ISB/24 valve engines all the way up to the 2002 model year as well. It appears to be so uncommon on the 24 valve engines that I doubt I would worry about it much.

Definitely more rare as the years went on. But a simple fix vs. Toasting your motor. I don't know why people don't at least check it. Dave's dad on the bomber board had it take out the engine on his 02. Evan at Evergreen has scene it happen to all years up to 02. Cummins was good at making sure they didn't waste any of the old style cases.

Last edited:
Definitely more rare as the years went on. But a simple fix vs. Toasting your motor. I don't know why people don't at least check it. Dave's dad on the bomber board had it take out the engine on his 02. Evan at Evergreen has scene it happen to all years up to 02. Cummins was good at making sure they didn't waste anything of the old style cases.

I have heard of it happening up into the 24V's also but not very many.
It is not that hard of a fix and a large percent of the people that I have talked to that have checked, the pin is part way out. Both the trucks I checked were part way out. Opened them up with the intention of fixing it. I Used the tabbed washer on the ones I did. If I ever by another 12v and it has not been done, I will do it. Not worth the possible repair bill for not IMHO:D

So what do you have to tare down to check it? Its a timing gear pin (?) So just all the stuff off the front of the engine?

I overlooked it on my truck. Im not really worried about yours either! :haha:

It cost me about $600 and I did all the labor. It was not fun. Took along time.

List of items to remove or disturb....

Radiator
Core support
Fan
Pulley
Inj pump
Steering pump
Lift pump
Front cover
Valve covers
Rockers
Pushrods
Pull up lifters with wooden sticks and wish for luck
Camshaft
Front case

Then go to Cummins NW and spend a bunch of loot and then do all that crap in revers order.

Pretty much blows goats.

Or just pull the fan and cover and check/update it.

Its up to you.

I make your clutch go bad :fawkdancesmiley:. I still have your filter, why don't you visit anymore? Wanna see me cry?

we've been working on the new house every weekend for the last month or two now, but its getting close to move in. i think we'll be starting to move all the junk in about two weeks. youll have to come check it out when were all done.