• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kingpin and preload spring diameter?

WHITE TRASH1

fruit stripe
So I have a gm 60 in my truck with hi steer. A buddy in Portland sent me a set of arms and kingpin spring spacers for them. I pulled an arm a couple weeks ago to start the swap but found the hole in the dodge arms to be roughly 5 1/6" smaller than the arms already on my axle.

So my question is this: What is the diameter of the kingpin of a gm arm? We would really like to swap them but I failed to measure mine before putting it back together and now I'm on the road without the time or ability to figure out this dilema myself. I'd like to get the arms to the machinist asap if possible.

Thanks kids :D

if i recall all king pins are the same, i think the only differances was some fords had a diferent wiper

if i recall all king pins are the same, i think the only differances was some fords had a diferent wiper

My buddy and I thought they were all the same too. The ID measurement of a set of steering arms would solve this issue so I can get the arms to the machinest...

I don't understand what you found to be a different size? The hole in the aftermarket steering arm?...The GM and Dodge knuckles are the same size as far as the top kingpin is conserned. At one time I ran one Dodge knuckle and one GM with all the same parts on both sides..

I don't understand what you found to be a different size? The hole in the aftermarket steering arm?...The GM and Dodge knuckles are the same size as far as the top kingpin is conserned. At one time I ran one Dodge knuckle and one GM with all the same parts on both sides..

That is what I've always heard too, that they are the same etc. The arms off of his 60 have about a 1 1/2" hole in them for the tension spring. Mine on the other hand have about a 1 3/4" hole and the spring and kingpin bushing are both about that size too.

He has found some other oddities with his axle that leads him to believe it is from a 90-93 dodge dually then converted to single wheel. Now wether his axle has a small bushing and spring or mine is some HD version I don't know.

But if anyone has a steering arm off of their rig that could take a measurrement of the kingpin hole that would clear it up.

That is what I've always heard too, that they are the same etc. The arms off of his 60 have about a 1 1/2" hole in them for the tension spring. Mine on the other hand have about a 1 3/4" hole and the spring and kingpin bushing are both about that size too.

He has found some other oddities with his axle that leads him to believe it is from a 90-93 dodge dually then converted to single wheel. Now wether his axle has a small bushing and spring or mine is some HD version I don't know.

But if anyone has a steering arm off of their rig that could take a measurrement of the kingpin hole that would clear it up.

I have a set of arms sitting at my house that came off a Chevy 60, I will measure the hole on my lunch break today if nobody else gets around to it before then.

Saweet, thanks! :D

Well, the holes in the arms I have are exactly 2.25"... that might not help you much though.

[EDIT]: I measured one of my knuckles too... '90 Ford HP 60, exactly 1.5" ID for the top kingpin hole on the knuckle.

Last edited:
Does the spring not fit in the arm? I don't really understand what your issue is since the cones don't go past the top of the knuckle...

Does the spring not fit in the arm? I don't really understand what your issue is since the cones don't go past the top of the knuckle...

The spring is too large for the hole in the arms. He just measured his and the spring is right at 2". That makes sense if 2.25" is the "normal" size. Thanks for the measurement Matt. :D

Do fords have a smaller upper bushing than mopar and gm? my bushing is touching the id of the arms, ther are definately the same diameter as the holes in the arms minimum.

I actually have pics on my phone of a side by side on the arms and a comparison shot of the spring spacers but I can't post them from my phone. If someone can post them pm me your number and I'll send them on over.

Here's the pics...

So from what I've gathered my setup is standard and his is undersized. Am I correct in thinking that? Also the ford kingpin hole is only 1 1/2"? I apologize for all the questions but this is my first 60 so I am trying to learn any and everything I can. I don't recall either issue from billavista's 60 bible.

So from what I've gathered my setup is standard and his is undersized. Am I correct in thinking that? Also the ford kingpin hole is only 1 1/2"? I apologize for all the questions but this is my first 60 so I am trying to learn any and everything I can. I don't recall either issue from billavista's 60 bible.

Well mine is only 1.5", not sure about others'. :redneck:

I'll look closer at mine tonight and take some more measurements...

This post sounds so dirty.

So from what I've gathered my setup is standard and his is undersized.

I don't think there really is a standard size as this is all aftermarket stuff and the factory didn't make anything like it. It looks like yours would work better and his was made with the hole too small.

I don't think there really is a standard size as this is all aftermarket stuff and the factory didn't make anything like it. It looks like yours would work better and his was made with the hole too small.

OK now that I'm on my 'puter not my phone.. :redneck:

What I meant by undersized is his spring fits the 2" hole. If put in a 2 1/4" hole of my arms it would move around and not stay centered over the bushing. That doesn't seem kosher to me, but hey I've been wrong before. :haha:

But do you know anything of the upper king pins being different between the makes? Dodge and gm are generally the same but what of notmatt's 1 1/2" upper? The upper on my knuckle is minimum 2 1/4" right along with my steering arms. This has me confused, off to do more research. Thanks for the help so far. :D

are you 100% positive its not off a king pin 44? just a thought since ive never heard of a smaller kingpin setup on a 60..

are you 100% positive its not off a king pin 44? just a thought since ive never heard of a smaller kingpin setup on a 60..

Yup I can guarantee they are off of a dodge 60. The axle actually used to be mine... well it was overnight anyway. :haha: I traded axles with my buddy, he wanted to be narrower than GM width and both sets of axles were geared and locked similarly so it was a good trade.

I'll have him measure the king pin bushings but I'd think if the spring is 2" the bushing would be too. I'll find out though.

EDIT: Yup the bushing is 2" too. :eeek:

Last edited:
Do these pics help?

karl001-2.jpg

karl002-2.jpg

Keep in mind this is all GM 60 and Ballistic springless arms.

Do these pics help?

karl001-2.jpg

karl002-2.jpg

Keep in mind this is all GM 60 and Ballistic springless arms.

Huh, I don't know what to think, if standard GM stuff is 2" I wonder if I have some sort of HD stuff or what the hell. I know my spring was 2 1/4" and the hole in the arm is that size as well as the upper bushing...